Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

SharkDad

Most Positive, Best Parent '12
Staff member
Cheer Parent
FBOD:LLFB
Dec 15, 2009
I just saw this NCATA article on Facebook and I thought it was a great way to explain NCATA and the sport of Acro and Tumbling. I personally like that it is focusing on being a sport first and not being a successful industry like cheer is.

I'm interested to hear everyone's thoughts.

Meet the newest sport for women: acrobatics and tumbling | Felecia Mulkey | Comment is free | theguardian.com
I think it's wonderful, actually came across thencata.org site a year and a half ago while looking at college cheer opportunities for my daughter and it has grown so quickly, she is now a senior and is excited about the extended invitation by 3 schools to come and work out with the team's :), this is still all very new to us as an all star ( L5) and sideline cheer family since we have never had to register with NCAA and research rules and regulations but it's such a great opportunity.

Last edited by a moderator:
Loved the concept - a return to focus on the quality of execution of skills instead of... 'how fast can we get how many to throw how much in any way possible, regardless of risk to the athlete or overall visual quality'.

Loved the statement - "All of the variations of cheerleading (competitive /sideline/all-star/dance) within the United States are mostly controlled by one company. It has proven to be a lucrative business plan, but a sport should not be controlled by a for-profit company. A sport should be created and maintained with the best interest of the athlete in mind."

Loved the video - the joy in the faces of the athletes doing what they love, and being recognized for doing it the right way. Not just winning or not.

As a parent I love this new sport. It acknowledges my daughter as an athlete, puts her safety first and offers opportunities for significant college scholarships. I also really appreciate that they follow NCAA rules. This ensures that she won't spend more than 20 hours a week on her sport, meaning she will be a student first, and an athlete second.

My daughter though wishes the sport were co-ed and thinks it is missing some of the thrills and excitement of competitive cheerleading. Always there are trade offs.

On Instagram, Aly Raisman shared a link to the Baylor A&T page. Love seeing it get support from gymnasts!

Instagram

Back