Need Ideas To"spirit Up" My Small Gym

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Aug 5, 2015
Small Gym... Mostly younger.. about a handful of Teens. (we're affordable, that's why the teens stay or they would go to the Bigger Gyms) I'm Looking for ideas to get girls excited about their team, their gym, etc.
Should we do work out wear? slogans or names for teams? are tshirts with sayings their motivation? Does entrance / look of the lobby or decor motivate.. and what are some ideas.. Ready... Go !!

Our old gym painted on the walls the names of various skills like backwalkover, handspring, standing tuck, etc. And as the kids landed a new skill say ten times in a row (to prove it wasn't a one time fluke lol) then they could sign the wall in sharpie pen under that particular skill. Some gyms ring a bell or let the kids ring a bell but I like the idea of having your name permanently there. so if you later have a mental block you can see that you really did accomplish that skill and can do it again.

Since they're teens, I think you should just sit them down and ask for suggestions! "What can we do to make this season better for you? How can we better motivate you?" Etc. They may have some great feedback that you never would have thought of.

Most of my girls have never done competitive cheer or are in the cheer world. I tried asking last year for music suggestions and other input.. no bueno... :-( I like the wall painting idea.. my walls are metal.. but I do have an area I could work with for something like that.. thank you..

Check out Victory Athletics Bow Package...they have bows to award skills at every level. You know they love their bows.
We end practice by "bringing it in", going over the positives and shouting whatever they want for the day on 3.
I did a cheer challenge. They really needed to clean motions and so for every video they posted and used the correct hashtag (easy to track the videos that way) they earned a point. The person with the most points from each team got a $5 Frozen Yogurt gift card and I brought ice cream sandwiches for the whole team for participating.

I also came up with some slogans I liked and let the families/athletes vote for their favorite and that is what we put on our tees.

Check out Victory Athletics Bow Package...they have bows to award skills at every level. You know they love their bows.
We end practice by "bringing it in", going over the positives and shouting whatever they want for the day on 3.
I did a cheer challenge. They really needed to clean motions and so for every video they posted and used the correct hashtag (easy to track the videos that way) they earned a point. The person with the most points from each team got a $5 Frozen Yogurt gift card and I brought ice cream sandwiches for the whole team for participating.
Some great ideas !! Thanks so much..

On the wall infront of your floor, put inspirational quote(s) they will read before every full out!

Each team comes up with their own team "break" for the end of practice. My J1 (Frost) says "frosted flakes we're great", my J2 (riptide) says "Ride the riptide" and my J3 (Tsunami) says "FA tsunami wave". They have fun coming up with their little team sayings, these usually end up on their team shirt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Each team comes up with their own team "break" for the end of practice. My J1 (Frost) says "frosted flakes we're great", my J2 (riptide) says "Ride the riptide" and my J3 (Tsunami) says "FA tsunami wave". They have fun coming up with their little team sayings, these usually end up on their team shirt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LOVE IT !!

Our old gym painted on the walls the names of various skills like backwalkover, handspring, standing tuck, etc. And as the kids landed a new skill say ten times in a row (to prove it wasn't a one time fluke lol) then they could sign the wall in sharpie pen under that particular skill. Some gyms ring a bell or let the kids ring a bell but I like the idea of having your name permanently there. so if you later have a mental block you can see that you really did accomplish that skill and can do it again.

I LOVE this idea!

We did a lock-in/slumber party last year after our last competition. The girls loved it, and it is something that they are already looking forward to doing this year. We played games, watched movies, and the girls all did each others nails. It was a great time, and it got them really excited for this years cheer season. This tends to be more in the team bonding category though.

One thing we did this year that I wish I had done last year, was we had a cheer kick-off meeting. All of the girls and parents came, we measured for uniforms, practice wear, we talked about team plans/goals for the year, and then the girls got to hear their cheer music for the first time. It got the girls so excited about practices and the whole year.

I love this idea! This is the first I've heard of anyone doing it that way. I may need to "steel" this. Thanks for great idea! We ring a cow bell at our gym and announce on a loud speaker!

Here's how it looks
6FjmPxvLGJ

Agree with getting the athletes involved to hear what they want to do. This increases motivation when individuals have a say in what they are doing. Also consider creating mission statements- you could create one for the gym (or perhaps you have one) and then each team can create their own (message me if you want assistance in guiding them through the process); then you can have the team decorate banners and possibly put the mission/slogan on shirts, etc.

Back