All-Star Need Some Perspective :)

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

mommy2mygirls

Cheer Parent
Nov 3, 2010
So..its tryout time.
We as parents and athletes are awaiting - or have gotten - our results for the next season.
In our case we are waiting - things could either be really good or really frustrating depending on those results.
I find myself waiting for these answers - stressed out about levels and if there will be a good place for her this year or if she will fall through the cracks and I am looking for some perspective.
Maybe to some it isn't but to us it is a LOT of money we spend for this sport - and even more time driving to practices, comps, etc - so if A happens I see it as a productive, learning, potentionally great experience worthy of the money being invested. If B happens then I see it as stagnant for her - I understand gym owners and coaches have to do what is best for the entire gym but, I have to look out for MY girl. So how do I justify the money if B happens (which is a big likelyhood due to the dynamics of the gym)? She loves the sport, she loves to learn and grow - but, if B happens the learning and growing will be only in classes not on the team.
So how would you handle it? I think switching gyms if there isn't "the right" place for her would be exhausting and frustrating. But how do you justify spending all that money waiting for the next season to hopefully where you are expecting it to be?

It doesn't have to be just about gaining new skills ect. Growth can be learning to live with the disappointment of not getting what you wanted or learning to be a leader on the team. Perfecting other skills that go into being an all-around cheerleader. You can learn and grow on a team that maybe initially you didn't think possible. Yes, it is expensive. Only you can justify spending the money if she's put on a team you feel she's advanced past. I'm a firm believer in any kid can grow on any level. If B happens, use it to help her grow other skill sets, that can be used outside of cheer.

No team is ever made to fail. It's always with the best interest at heart. Sometimes there may be a kid placed on it who could handle a higher level, but is needed more somewhere else. It shouldn't ever be personal.

Well I have been in your situation more than once and only you know the answer. Nothing any of us can say will change that. I did have to go through the exhausting and frusgtrating process of changing gyms....wasn't pretty but worth it in the long run.
You can not fault the gym for doing what they need to... Cheer is a team sport. On the other hand, they can not fault you either. It is a tremendous amount of time and money.
My advice to you is to wait and see the outcome. If you are not happy with it I would make an appointment to speak with the director. I would calmly explain your concerns for your child only. I would ask what compromises could be made like double competing or a "trial period on whatever team" so you both can get what you want.
Without knowing your full situation I really can't specualate much more. It is too much to settle... I think everyone has to come out of a tryout evaluation with a positive outlook for a team to be sucessful.
Good luck!!! I know its rough... hang in there!!

I can only speak from our personal experience. CP has been at one gym for 6 years. Most of those years I would have guessed she would have been put on a different team than she was...Sometimes I thought a higher age or level, sometimes I guessed a lower one. Each of those placements ended up being the best for my child and I realized the gym knew more than I knew about what she needed.

So I guess my point is that if you trust your gym in all other areas then trust them to place your child where she best needs to be.

Just because you are placed on Team B doesn't mean you stop growing. There is team growth and personal growth. She can still grow individually outside of the team which in turn will put them in a better positions for that Team A slot.

I think it completely depends on the faith you have in your gym. We have been through sort of a similar type situation. Cp's progress seemed to stagnate at our former gym over the last season, so we made a move. She has progressed quite a bit in the nearly 2 months at our new gym, but will still be at the same level she has competed at for the past 2 seasons. Would she have loved to have moved up? Absolutely. But she wasn't solidly ready, and I think that next level would have put her under a lot of stress due to the level of talent at our current gym. So, I'm pointing out the positives for her. I think this season will build her confidence back up, and give her time to perfect those new skills. I have no doubt that she will continue to progress and be in a much better position a year from now. I guess what I'm trying to say is that we are looking at this for the long term, not just what this season may hold. No doubt she could have made that higher level at another gym, but who is going to do her the most good over time?

Hope this helps a little. I know how hard this can be. :confused:

I think you have to ask yourself why you let her cheer to begin with. What is the alternative for her? Soccer, dance, theatre, softball? All of these sports could put her in the same position she is in if she gets B. My point is, kids need to cheer because they LOVE to cheer, not only if they make a certain team, get a certain spot, etc.

There are so many benefits to cheer, and she can grow in so many areas in either A or B. She can make a list of all the areas she is not quite as strong (that may have kept her out of option A) and help her make an action plan for the year to bring up the numbers on "her personal scoresheet". She can grow in so many areas, because the sport itself offers so many areas: motions, jumps, dance, tumbling, performance, etc. Sometimes kids benefit personally from being a leader on a team, when before they might have just been another athlete. There was a thread that talked about all the benefits of cheer, and a thread about "why do you do it?" that may make you feel better if you re-read them.

Now is where the trust part comes in. You have to trust God that he has put her in this life situation to learn something from it, or perhaps she is to positively affect another athlete on that team. You also need to trust that God is guiding the coaches decisions accordingly. I know it is hard, but when you are powerless, faith is all you can go on ;).

Ultimately it is up to you. How you react will greatly influence how she reacts. If you support B and help her get excited about spending the year fine-tuning her skills for next season, or pumping her up to be a leader, she will probably follow suit. I wish you both the best!

I think you have to ask yourself why you let her cheer to begin with. What is the alternative for her? Soccer, dance, theatre, softball? All of these sports could put her in the same position she is in if she gets B. My point is, kids need to cheer because they LOVE to cheer, not only if they make a certain team, get a certain spot, etc.

There are so many benefits to cheer, and she can grow in so many areas in either A or B. She can make a list of all the areas she is not quite as strong (that may have kept her out of option A) and help her make an action plan for the year to bring up the numbers on "her personal scoresheet". She can grow in so many areas, because the sport itself offers so many areas: motions, jumps, dance, tumbling, performance, etc. Sometimes kids benefit personally from being a leader on a team, when before they might have just been another athlete. There was a thread that talked about all the benefits of cheer, and a thread about "why do you do it?" that may make you feel better if you re-read them.

Now is where the trust part comes in. You have to trust God that he has put her in this life situation to learn something from it, or perhaps she is to positively affect another athlete on that team. You also need to trust that God is guiding the coaches decisions accordingly. I know it is hard, but when you are powerless, faith is all you can go on ;).

Ultimately it is up to you. How you react will greatly influence how she reacts. If you support B and help her get excited about spending the year fine-tuning her skills for next season, or pumping her up to be a leader, she will probably follow suit. I wish you both the best!

THIS is exactly what I needed! Thank you!

Latest posts

Back