All-Star Need Your Help! How Do I Make My Teams Perform

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Mar 17, 2010
In north America the kids constantly see amazing teams walk out on the floor with so much confidence. In smaller countries the teams lack these skills and we need to teach them how to perform better. What do you do to bring out their sassy side?

Cute voiceovers with catchy tunes. Also, a themed dance. i.e. broadway, diva. One of those World Cup Shooting stars-esque dances will make them pumped about entertaining, so they'll have a lot of energy. Entertainment value can go a long way.

As for stunts and tumbling, you need to get your kids to work at things. Don't let them fool around. From what I've seen, international teams tend to lack tumbling difficulty. As a coach, YOU need to teach them properly to prevent injury and so they can learn quickly. Teach them proper stunting technique as well so that they hit every time.

Cute voiceovers with catchy tunes. Also, a themed dance. i.e. broadway, diva. One of those World Cup Shooting stars-esque dances will make them pumped about entertaining, so they'll have a lot of energy. Entertainment value can go a long way.

As for stunts and tumbling, you need to get your kids to work at things. Don't let them fool around. From what I've seen, international teams tend to lack tumbling difficulty. As a coach, YOU need to teach them properly to prevent injury and so they can learn quickly. Teach them proper stunting technique as well so that they hit every time.

They have a full routine- and they're sticking their stunts, have themed music with great voiceovers etc. They're just lacking performance skills! Any more suggestions?! Thanks

They have a full routine- and they're sticking their stunts, have themed music with great voiceovers etc. They're just lacking performance skills! Any more suggestions?! Thanks
Performance as in entertainment value? Okay. Bring in a drag queen for practice as a surprise to the girls. The drag queen can teach your girls all about working it on the mat. I know it sounds absurd and ridiculous, but it'll get your girls really excited and fascinated.

YouTube is your friend. Pull up some amazing performing teams and show them to them. Stop video, discuss what they're doing, use real examples, tangible things they can use right away and then film them and show them their performance. Have them critique their own, what was good, bad, could be improved...on an energy meter from janktastic all stars to CA cheetah dance (or insert your favorite performance here) where we're they. How do they get there? Then pick ONE thing to focus on and drill it. When they have it, do it all again and pick the next thing until you systematically raise their level of showmanship WITH them.

Just a thought.

With dance my instructor she would always tell us to make faces crazy super exaggerated until she told us to back off. I tried that with my own cheerleader who was afraid of looking crazy for her dance recital and WOW there it was finally and she looked perfectly normal because her most exaggerated was right on the mark. She could do it on the mat but not on the dance stage. In her first year of All Star it took her a while of watching other teams to feel good about doing it (and we are not even talking out there cheer faces just high energy yes I am loving this faces)-- what age are your cheerleaders that could play a lot into it as well. They may be afraid to be out there ....especially tween early teens that are in that I feel awkward just breathing stage

You need to bring in a super FIERCE choreographer who puts facials in your routine. We just did that and it made a huge difference. Most of our girls were a little timid and didn't put much attitude into it, but after a day with him they were all fierce! :D

When it comes to showmanship, it's usually two things: Nervousness about the routine, and confidence in themselves. Take care of those two things, and you'll find their inner performer.

If they're worried about the routine's skills, it will show on their face. Much like if an actor is too focused on the lines, they look completely removed from the scene. If all the skills are hitting, it frees them up to perform better. Otherwise they mentally get caught up in the skills/where they need to go next.

The second, and more common issue is CONFIDENCE. Not just confident in the skills, but confident in what they bring to the routine. Remind them that they should love every minute they're out there, and it will show on their faces. If they need some ideas or inspiration, have them watch some of the worlds teams dances, particularly if you can get an up-close video (that's why I say worlds teams, because the ESPN broadcasts have the dances up close sometimes). Sometimes having an idea of how 'big' they can be gives them the confidence to open up more onstage.

Back