Needle/spike

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Sep 4, 2012
Any helpful tips to help me get my needle, or spike, (depending on what you call it). I would really like to get it sooner than later. Anything you know would be helpful.

Any helpful tips to help me get my needle, or spike, (depending on what you call it). I would really like to get it sooner than later. Anything you know would be helpful.

A needle is pretty much, all flexibility. If you can pull one on the ground standing up, you should have no problem doing it in the air, provided that your stunt group does as they should.

You should always try to hold your own weight, as this makes it easier for the bases and back spot. You should try to pull the needle straight as you go up. Many flyers try to hit an extension before they pull it, but it just messes with their head and stresses them out.

Make sure you stretch before even trying! Partner up with your stunt group and have them help you stretch. My girls start with the flyers back against the wall while the bases lift her leg upwards to stretch her hips out.
I know Gabi Butler has tons on youtube you can check out some here The Cheer Chicks - YouTube . Also, try doing the stretches you would before a ballet class at the barre. Taking a dance class will help with your flexibility, so if your school offers one go for it, if not find a friend who does ballet and ask her for some ideas.

The things I feel help most are: over splits and bridges for the back. And you can go into your splits and have somebody grab your hands and pull you backwards close to your leg OR stand facing the wall and let somebody push your leg into the needle position. Try to stay as close as you can to the wall so you don't drop your chest.

And practice pulling spikes a lot! Don't just stretch.

Shoulder stretches helped me a lot....I haven't got my spike yet but have made awesome progress with my scorp.

Sit in splits and reaching backwards
bridges (i hate them but they are good for spikes)
walk your hands down your scorpion and pull your leg up
sit in splits and bend your back leg. Hold with your hands and pull back towards the floor.
Door frame stretches!!

Gabi Butler stretching videos on Youtube are really good too!

Latest posts

Back