High School New Base

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Nov 19, 2014
Hey everyone:) so i'm newly a base on my new team, and I've based before, but now I feel a little uncomfortable about it because last season I was a backspot so I guess I'm just used to that more. I know I can do it I'm just a tiny bit scared. Does it hurt like in basket tosses and stuff? Also, I don't know why but i'm psyching myself out about extensions to cradles. You just bring her up, dip and pop and catch her right? omg like im so scared lol someone please give me advice!! thanks :))

Welcome to the wonderful world of basing!
1). Baskets...I'm not gonna lie they hurt if you top girl puts all of her weight in her feet. But if she uses good technique then they're fine. Make sure to keep your arms up and catch high! Half the fun of being a base is getting hit and showing off your bruises. I'm not much different than when a back gets hit in a stunt.

2). Yeah basically. Make sure that when you did for the cradle (and honestly everything else) you're using your legs to throw. Also keep your arms up so you can catch your top girl nice and high.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now much experience with being a base since I am a backspot too. But for your extension cradle, make sure to lock out your arms at extension and only dip with your legs and shrug through your shoulders. If you don't lock out your arms, the flyers legs will buckle. My base struggle with keeping her arms locked out as well.
And I've only done cradle as a base before, no baskets, and they don't hurt most of the time. If all bases & back absorb & resist the flyer down then y'all should be fine.

Not gonna lie you probably will have constant bruising on the top of your inner(against the backspot) arm. But it won't really hurt! Just make sure your flyer stands on your hands correctly and also holds her own weight.

I did my first cupie cradle 1-1,5 years ago, and my flyer freaked out mid air, didn't fall back and just came straight down feet first. I thought I was gonna pass out tbh. But if stuff like that happen, just go under it and catch whatever you can. My side freaked out to and kinda didn't catch anything tbh. But I got both legs, my back got her in like a normal grip and she didn't touch ground for a split second. You just gotta believe you can do it. As people pointed out, squat, lock out your arma, push through, use the force all the way through your shoulders and then just catch like normal. A tip to make it higher and not feel as short is to all jump. It feels like you're gonna jump too high, but truth is you can't jump that high with a girl on top of you. It can feel a bit scary if it's uneven or unstable, but you have to commit, it really makes it easier as you will have more time to see where she goes if she's off. And prepare for a few butts on your head. I frequently had my backspot leg behind mine, and so I couldn't move, and that resulted in quite a few blows to teeth and head, but you can't get afraid, just keep pushing!

I can't speak to the technical aspects, but know that it's normal to be a bit scared in a new role/while you're learning. I'd encourage you to stay focused on what you need to do to safely execute (and if you're not sure, get feedback from the coach or other experienced bases). Take deep breaths if you feel yourself getting nervous, and if you can, imagine yourself safely executing. Hope that helps!

Congrats on becoming a base! It's such an important role in cheerleading! Here's the advice I give all me girls:
1. Work your core legs and arms. (planks are great for this as well as squats)I'd start doing this 3 times a week at home to develop and sustain the muscles you need to make your job easier and avoid injury.
2. always always always use your legs to lift!!! Your legs are your powerhouse. Never use your back! And as another poster stated, when you lift give it a shrug and dip as you lift either YOUR LEGS :)
3. Always be aware of your flyer! Know where they are are at all the time and be mindful of what they are doing. Notice them slightly falling to the left... You follow and Catch to the left.
4. Communicate with your other bases /backspot ALL the time. Note: this doesn't mean talk tons during stunt time, but if something isn't going right... Try to figure out what you AS a group can do to make it better! Never assign blame. Remember: it takes all 4 positions working in synergy to make the magic happen.
5.tons of injuries happen BECAUSE someone gets scared... DONT be scared. Believe in yourself! You were chosen for your position for a reason! Don't bail out! Always commit to the stunt! Do YOUR job and don't worry about anyone else's ... And be fierce at what YOU do!
6. Listen to instruction and don't deviate. If you think your coach may be missing something or you have an idea.. Politely go to them and ask what can be changed to make it better or see if perhaps they notice something you as a group or you individually are doing wrong.
7. Catch high and absorb the weight of the cradle. Also, chin and chest up!
Hope this helped!!!
Good luck! Basing is so fun! Don't forget to take care of your body as its a very athletic position!

Last edited:
Hey everyone:) so i'm newly a base on my new team, and I've based before, but now I feel a little uncomfortable about it because last season I was a backspot so I guess I'm just used to that more. I know I can do it I'm just a tiny bit scared. Does it hurt like in basket tosses and stuff? Also, I don't know why but i'm psyching myself out about extensions to cradles. You just bring her up, dip and pop and catch her right? omg like im so scared lol someone please give me advice!! thanks :))
I am a life long backspot, though I have based a few times before when needed. These are the things that were the biggest things to adjust to...

1. Always get low with your legs. As a former backspot, I'm going to guess you're on the taller side and will be taller than your other base, so be sure to squat to even the stunt out! Your backspot and flyer will probably tell you when you are until you get used to the right height to be at.
2. Don't step out. With extensions, you really are UNDER the flyer where as a back you're more behind the flyer a little bit. It may be weird at first but stay put, and if anything, step in.
3. When catching a cradle, be sure to absorb with your legs and keep you back straight and upright! Seriously. My first time catching a cradle as a base, I wasn't ready for the weight, and ended up bending forward and head-butting my other base... you know like how you see in those epic cheer fail videos... yeah.... It wasn't super hard, so don't be scared, just be prepared for it!!!
4. And most important, don't be afraid to ask questions!!! It can be weird going from "grab ankles and lift" to catching a foot in the load in, different grips, and more. If you're unsure, or just want to make sure, ask someone.

No one is going to expect you to be hitting things perfectly the first time, and should understand if you're a little scared to try things! Just give it 100% and you should be great, good luck!

Back