New Cheer Mom Here!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

@newcheermom624 I cheered All Star in Rochester for 5 years and know a lot about every thing cheer up here.. So I'd love to help you out! Message me if you have ANY questions about cheerleading in Rochester!!! :chestbump:

@newcheermom624 I cheered All Star in Rochester for 5 years and know a lot about every thing cheer up here.. So I'd love to help you out! Message me if you have ANY questions about cheerleading in Rochester!!! :chestbump:

But only if you have your Velvet armor & goggles on. ;)

I have to laugh at this. My cp did pageants before she started cheer. She definately likes cheer more and I dont think she would ever stop unless she had to.

I watched an episode of Toddlers and Tiaras and one of the girls was a cheerleader as well. They showed her practicing in her gym. I think it said EA allstars? She was a very good cheerleader and I think won the pageant as well.

To the moms: how much time do you dedicate to cheering?
I work 9-5 my husband works 7-7; luckily everything here is 15minutes away!

Do you find yourself rushing a lot?

My cp is 8 and she practices 2 nights a week for two hours (6p-8p). We rush on those nights and don't eat dinner until we get home after practice and after showering she doesn't seem to get into bed until almost 10pm. Since she is a tiny you won't be at practice as late as us. yet....:)

Also, once she starts sports anyway you will be rushing on those nights so it wouldn't matter if it was cheer or softball or soccer!

To the moms: how much time do you dedicate to cheering?
I work 9-5 my husband works 7-7; luckily everything here is 15minutes away!

Do you find yourself rushing a lot?

My daughter was 5 when she started last season on a tiny team.
We practiced tuesdays and thursdays 5-6.
She wanted to do extra tumbling so we did that on Monday's 5-6.

At that time we weren't spending a whole lot of time at the gym so not a lot of stress or rush. She was the only tiny who took extra tumbling and it was worth it! With them only being there an hour twice a week they spent very little time on tumbling so she started late in the season with nothing and ended tiny season with RO multiple back handsprings.

I wouldn't jump into extra classes until you make sure she wants to do it first. We had like 15 tinys and there was a good 6 who were like 3 or didn't want to be there. Practices would stress me out when the first 2 rows can stand there and listen and the back 2 rows are laying all over the floor an acting like they can't listen. Parents sit there and watch and thought it was cute while the other parents with good kids were frustrated! Idk if gyms up there do this but my cp's gym would give a free practice before you decide. They could interact, learn part of the routine stretch and everything. That way your child will know exactly what's expected at each and every practice.

Like others are saying check the gyms out, costs, and practice times. Make sure it is at a good time you would be comfortable consistently making practices. Even though these are young teams they are still competitive. If you can't make practices consistently I wouldn't do it because everyone hurts not only your kid! I had a parent say to me last month that her kid shouldn't have to come to practice if she doesn't want because her sister doesn't cheer and it's not fair to make her get out of the pool for her sister to go to practice. I know that's probably not you but just make sure you are able to make the commitment.

It's such a fun and rewarding sport and my daughter has changed so much. As long as she is having fun we will keep doing it!
I wish you luck and I'm sure you can find a fabulous gym up there!

We still talk with lots of the people we met in pageants and a large majority of them do allstar cheer. When we started I actually commented to several how odd I thought that was because I never just meet up with someone who does or has done pageants unless we actually met them in pageants. I thought it was strange how many did both. As for how much time we commit to cheer. My daughter is 12 so a little older but she is in the gym 3 days per week. 2 hours a day for two of those days and then on Saturday she is there the better part of the day.

Ohhhhh wait, then we're not thinking the same gym :starwars:

How could you not know what gym we're talking about?!? How could you not know of my love of all things Fame? I am NOT feeling the love ohhh lindss. Not. Feeling. The. Love. :(

I have to agree with my Fame mommas, I've been at that gym since before it was Fame and I have to say, the gym owner is the reason I fell in love with cheerleading. She's coached me since I was on Juniors (I'm 18, almost 19 now), and she will do ANYTHING for her kids/athletes. She is the most kind hearted, caring person I've ever met!
The staff is amazing there, and family is strongly emphasized. You feel the love from NY all the way down to VA! I'm from Rochester, currently in Buffalo for school but I go back to the gym any chance I get. Message me tooo if you have any questions about the Fame NY gym in particular :)

Thank you so much !!! I went to school is Buffalo (coincidence?)

I actually had the chance to google and email a few gyms(Core, fame, Northeast and Dynamic Silver bullets) so far core and fame has gotten back to me, but its only been a few days

Back