All-Star New "cheer" Program

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jul 8, 2014
Okay so collegiate and High school cheer is trying to make cheer a sport. There are organizations that are making a new cheer-like sport. The way that they are making it so different it bothers me. It is a new program called "stunt" and here is how it works. The "competitions" are now called "games" and it is split up into four quarters. First "quarter" is partner stunts, second is jumps and tumbling, third is pyramids and tosses, fourth is a combo and dance. These "games" have a referee and begin with a coin toss. (This is between two teams) both teams need to know four routines for each quarter so the choreography is the same. Both teams perform at the same time and they are judged on who does it better. The winner of the quarter receives 2 points, loser 1 point, a tie is both teams get 2 points. And the routines are somewhat basic and not what cheer really is like. I think I gave enough info to realize that this isn't even cheer. They are calling it a "game". Cheer is not a game and it is just crazy how they are making this out. I know this sounds made up but high school and collegiate leagues are considering this program in the future. Any thoughts on this? Feedback is appreciated :)

Yup, STUNT has been around for a few seasons. A&T has been around even longer and has a similar format.
Its starting to get bigger so many more people are hearing of it (like me). I recently found out. But the format is so weird its like they're trying to make it like a football game. It just annoys me how they are making it.

Its starting to get bigger so many more people are hearing of it (like me). I recently found out. But the format is so weird its like they're trying to make it like a football game. It just annoys me how they are making it so different.

Its starting to get bigger so many more people are hearing of it (like me). I recently found out. But the format is so weird its like they're trying to make it like a football game. It just annoys me how they are making it.
The purpose is to take the athletic aspect of cheer and make it into a legitimate sport. It's actually an awesome idea. It's not taking away actual cheerleading, it's completely separate. I think it has a good future as a sport.

The purpose is to take the athletic aspect of cheer and make it into a legitimate sport. It's actually an awesome idea. It's not taking away actual cheerleading, it's completely separate. I think it has a good future as a sport.
Thats true, but I don't understand why they need to change it to consider it a sport. How it normally is is fine. Im not saying its bad, just the fact that a change is "needed" annoys me.

Thats true, but I don't understand why they need to change it to consider it a sport. How it normally is is fine. Im not saying its bad, just the fact that a change is "needed" annoys me.
I don't really see it as much as a change, but kind of more of an addition. Regular sideline cheer would still exist, this is just taking the skills from cheer and making it into an official sport that would be recognized by NCAA.

They are trying to take away the subjectivity of scoring that can happen with a normal routine which seems to be an issue in defining cheer as a sport.

ETA: this is my opinion.

For NCAA eligiblity and Title IV purposes, cheer in it's current format is not considered a sport. In order for the NCAA to approve it as a sport and schools to use it for Title IV, the format had to change. Hence the creation of STUNT and NCATA. One of them will (hopefully) eventually be approved by the NCAA. With that comes legitimate scholarship opportunities, funding, and who knows what else.

Is there a list somewhere of which Colleges offer STUNT or NCATA? Out of those two which one has more teams / is more popular?

Back