New (ish) Tumblers Who Are Tall...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

cheercurl

Cheer Parent
Dec 14, 2009
Any tips for children who are learning to tumble and are tall. My daughter could still technically have been on a youth team this year but is almost 5ft 7in tall. She has been working on a back handspring for almost a year and is VERY close. Any tips for speeding the process along or things that will be help in the long run.

Technique! Really work a lot on making sure that her technique is perfect and solid. I'm also about 5' 7" and having grown 10 inches in less than 2 years, this was the one thing that really helped me. Focus on all of the little things because it will be best for her in the long run.

I'm 5' 9" and I have mega long legs. If she is like me, make sure she really aims to jump high and hard when taking off, all while she is squeezing her core/lower body so that her legs can snap down quickly. Hope this helps!

I'm 5'7" and I learned how to tumble very quickly. It's all about commitment because I don't really think height really matters. Something that use to help me do my backhandspring is have someone record you from the side and that way you can learn how to get into the right body position from seeing you do it normally

Well she actually did one by herself! Her feet are slow going over. She needs to snap down quicker. She also unfortunately has not the greatest shoulder flexibility but for her back handspring I think that will work in her favor. They end up long and beautiful.

I have literally 0 shoulder flexibility (my arms can hardly reach my ears) and it's really been holding me back when it comes to tumbling technique. It's not impossible to tumble like that, but have her stretch them out. It wil help in the long run, trust me!! :)

How do you stretch out your shoulders? Any exercises or ideas? Anyone?

I always sit on my knees in front of the couch/bed and put my arms up on the couch and hang my head down. So it looks like you're bowing down or something. That and backbends (which I'm still not flexible enough to do...after 8 years of cheer!) help most people stretch.

Back