High School New Nfhs Rules About Twisting On Non-mat Surfaces..

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

When I judged in WV in 1997, I almost had a heart attack that there weren't any mats. The regional I judged (In Martinsburg) was on a rainy day. The roof in the gym started leaking, right onto half court. I figured they'd postpone till the rain stopped or the leak was fixed (next day or next weekend). Nope. They pulled out a GARBAGE CAN to half court and told the teams to "work around it". I refused to judge for them again, due to the complete disregard for the safety of the athletes. I filed a report with the WVSSAC, but of course nothing came of it. That "organization" is a bunch of idiots-for every sport.

oh my goodness. my mind is just full of questions....
-how do you do practices without mats!??! wouldn't someone get hurt!??!
-what about teams that aren't that level (AMAZING routine, btw, i just can't see the fb video :() that would drop stunts more frequently? do they get hurt?
-how many serious injuries are there in WV cheer?
-why is WV so anti-mat?

and just because something is recognized as a sport does not = going to nationals. I live in Maine and high school cheerleading is recognized as a sport for the winter (competition) season by the maine principal's association like every other winter sport. (hockey, basketball, etc etc) They have league competitions (like athletic conference), then a regional competition (east regional/west regional) and then states (top x teams from each athletic class from the east and west) The top three teams in each class (A, B, C, D; divided up by school size) goes on to new englands in March. There is no nationals. HS cheer in maine is not affiliated with NCA or UCA like it is in other states, and HS teams in maine do not attend competitions against/with all stars. They have their own "invitational" competitions amongst themselves.

i don't think many/any other states are like this...

according to the new NFHS rules,

"Airborne twisting tumbling skills are permitted only on grass (real or artificial) or mat, with the exception of roundofs and aerial cartwheels."

"A twist to cradle is permitted only on grass (real or artificial) or a mat."

so I'm sure a lot of you have seen the West Virginia high school cheerleading videos, we compete on a basketball floor. which means none of those teams will be able to do fulls in their tumbling, or twist cradle out of a build in any of their competition routines.

do you feel that this will affect WV high school cheerleading in a negative way, like making it less entertaining?

I honestly doubt it will change them at all, unless they decide to put mats out, as seen in teh video below your post they are already ignoring NFHS rules and allowing them to basket on the gym floor. i guess they just don't have to follow NFHS rules in WV, it would be up to the State Athletic Department to set event sanctioning rules. Also, if we bring it to the attention of the people that obviously don't care about the cheerleaders, what will probably happen is they willl realize this stuff is too dangerous to do period, and cancel the competitions instead of shelling out the money for mats.

That team is so talent but I seriously hate watching it. It makes my wrists ache.

Not to mention formations are like 100 times with no lines.

That has been a NFHS rule for 3 - 5 years now. Has WV just been ignoring it or have they not followed NFHS rules until now? I saw a video of them last year and thought the same thing then too. I personally think the state shouldn't be letting them compete on a gym floor without mats in the first place.

Back