OT New Random Thread Pt. 3

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
If they bring them back please let me know. Enjoyed them. I also learned from them. Thanks

I have a friend from college whose name is Orlagh. Her siblings are Sinead, Dierdre, and Aiden. I don't think I had heard Orlagh or Sinead before I met her. Their arents are immigrants I think.
Really? Not even Sinead O'connor? Orlagh is less common though. Again I think the proximity to Ireland helps and going to a Catholic secondary school meant that a third of my year were of Irish descent.

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

Really? Not even Sinead O'connor? Orlagh is less common though. Again I think the proximity to Ireland helps and going to a Catholic secondary school meant that a third of my year were of Irish descent.

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

You might be right, I looked her up and I know at least one of her songs, but I never noticed her name - or I never put together the name and spelling. I don't remember.

So I'm watching a National Geographic documentary about the Joplin tornado. I honestly wonder how some people can be so nonchalant about powerful storms when they live in areas like Tornado Alley, or in hurricane-prone areas. Oh, a massive high-category hurricane is coming? "Blah, blah, blah, I've lived in Florida for xyz number of years, and we've always been okay, I don't need to leave, I don't want to leave my home/business, blah blah blah"

REALLY DUMMY? REALLY? YOU MEAN TO TELL ME THAT YOU'RE GOING TO JUMP FRONT OF THE WINDS AND TELL THEM TO NOT BLOW YOUR HOUSE DOWN? ARE YOU GOING TO YELL AT THE STORM SURGE TO STOP IT FROM FLOODING YOUR BUSINESS?

YOU IDIOT.

Get a U-Haul, pack up your family, legal documents, and other necessities, withdraw some cash from the bank, and drive several states over.

Same thing applies to any other weather phenomena. Prepare, prepare, prepare.

I breaks my heart to hear about the deaths that take place during natural disasters. Especially when you consider the fact that 100 years ago, we didn't have the thing that we have now: highly accurate meteorology, storm chasers, emergency drills, shelters, etc. People nowadays are a more likely to escape storms in time, or weather them safely. Yet some people choose to be idiots and wait until the last minute to do anything. It's one thing if you are caught in an unfortunate situation, but if you can get to a safe place, DO IT. Don't be an idiot.

my dog's "middle" name is Séamus. lol i'm not that crazy the fee i paid for him already included registration so when I went to register him his name was already taken... so he became Sullivan Séamus. I figured my (imaginary/future) husband would never let me name a kid that so I gave it to the pup. that one is kind of common though.

So I'm watching a National Geographic documentary about the Joplin tornado. I honestly wonder how some people can be so nonchalant about powerful storms when they live in areas like Tornado Alley, or in hurricane-prone areas. Oh, a massive high-category hurricane is coming? "Blah, blah, blah, I've lived in Florida for xyz number of years, and we've always been okay, I don't need to leave, I don't want to leave my home/business, blah blah blah"

REALLY DUMMY? REALLY? YOU MEAN TO TELL ME THAT YOU'RE GOING TO JUMP FRONT OF THE WINDS AND TELL THEM TO NOT BLOW YOUR HOUSE DOWN? ARE YOU GOING TO YELL AT THE STORM SURGE TO STOP IT FROM FLOODING YOUR BUSINESS?

YOU IDIOT.

Get a U-Haul, pack up your family, legal documents, and other necessities, withdraw some cash from the bank, and drive several states over.

I breaks my heart to hear about the deaths that take place during natural disasters. Especially when you consider the fact that 100 years ago, we didn't have the thing that we have now: highly accurate meteorology, storm chasers, emergency drills, shelters, etc. People nowadays are a more likely to escape storms in time, or weather them safely. Yet some people choose to be idiots and wait until the last minute to do anything. It's one thing if you are caught in an unfortunate situation, but if you can get to a safe place, DO IT. Don't be an idiot.

In Oklahoma, some people (read: men) choose to be idiots and wait to seek shelter because they want to be amateur storm chasers or see the storm.

There are malfunctions sometimes, like a tornado was in Moore earlier this year and the sirens didn't go off until it had already passed! And tornados can spring up out of nowhere. I agree though, a lot of the deaths I hear about could've easily been prevented.

YOU IDIOT.

Yeah...

Except it's not exactly free to just hop on over a few states. And it's DEFINITELY not free to do it 5-10 times a year. It costs money to do that - and most people don't just have that kind of money to run around every time the weather man says to (not to mention that most people don't have jobs that would allow it... )

You have to remember, for every ONE disaster you see plastered on the news, those of us who live in those areas (hurricanes, tornadoes, etc) have been told DOZENS of times that this is "the one" and that we need to run... only to have them say, "Oops. Just kidding. It changed course."

It's just not feasible to run every single time something pops up on the radar. It's not like every single time they say a hurricane is coming that one actually makes landfall and does that kind of damage (I'd say literally maybe 1% of them that they tell people to evacuate for actually do any kind of scary damage that we maybe should have left for). I've been through quite a few hurricanes, including some that caused extensive damage, and not once have I wished I'd left.

Living in Chicago, we get tornado warnings every 32 seconds. Now, I live in the actual city, so I will never leave for a tornado warning or watch, because they won't make it as far in as I am. But good Lord... if the people out in the suburbs packed up every time they said tornadoes were coming, they'd be gone more than they'd be home.

And it's not that easy to just move. Some people actually have jobs, family, etc. here.

Just giving you a different pov - it's not that people are idiots. It's that they are practical (some are idiots, but most are just being realistic).

Last edited:
In Oklahoma, some people (read: men) choose to be idiots and wait to seek shelter because they want to be amateur storm chasers or see the storm.

There are malfunctions sometimes, like a tornado was in Moore earlier this year and the sirens didn't go off until it had already passed! And tornados can spring up out of nowhere. I agree though, a lot of the deaths I hear about could've easily been prevented.
What is it with men and their love of risk-taking? (I know it's not all of them, but a lot of them love taking risks.)

Yeah...

Except it's not exactly free to just hop on over a few states. And it's DEFINITELY not free to do it 5-10 times a year. It costs money to do that - and most people don't just have that kind of money to run around every time the weather man says to (not to mention that most people don't have jobs that would allow it... )

You have to remember, for every ONE disaster you see plastered on the news, those of us who live in those areas (hurricanes, tornadoes, etc) have been told DOZENS of times that this is "the one" and that we need to run... only to have them say, "Oops. Just kidding. It changed course."

It's just not feasible to run every single time something pops up on the radar. It's not like every single time they say a hurricane is coming that one actually makes landfall and does that kind of damage (I'd say literally maybe 1% of them that they tell people to evacuate for actually do any kind of scary damage that we maybe should have left for). I've been through quite a few hurricanes, including some that caused extensive damage, and not once have I wished I'd left.

Living in Chicago, we get tornado warnings every 32 seconds. Now, I live in the actual city, so I will never leave for a tornado warning or watch, because they won't make it as far in as I am. But good Lord... if the people out in the suburbs packed up every time they said tornadoes were coming, they'd be gone more than they'd be home.

And it's not that easy to just move. Some people actually have jobs, family, etc. here.

Just giving you a different pop - it's not that people are idiots. It's that they are practical (some are idiots, but most are just being realistic).
Thanks for the perspective, I never knew that!

Last edited:

YOU IDIOT.

Yeah I'm one of those people haha. Tornados are nothing new around here and I've been close to several touchdowns over the years but I'm used to it. Tornados don't scare me, but I also don't go out of my way to be around them. My mom and my sister always panic when there are tornado warnings and I'm the calm one. Now that I don't live at home (I live about 40 minutes away) my mom calls me and makes me stay on the phone with her as long as possible when there is a warning or a watch going on.

We have tornado tests the first Wednesday of every month to make sure the siren is working in the area and during the school year, all the out of state kids panic because they aren't used to it and always think it's the real thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have tornado tests the first Wednesday of every month to make sure the siren is working in the area and during the school year, all the out of state kids panic because they aren't used to it and always think it's the real thing.

That must suck! I can just imagine you there, chilling while they're all freaking out LOL.

That must suck! I can just imagine you there, chilling while they're all freaking out LOL.

Especially the first month or two of classes because they all start visibly panicking and they're looking around and the rest of us that have lived here our whole lives are just hanging out and laughing haha. Fortunately most places around here have basements (apparently that is rare when you don't live in the Midwest, I learned that a while ago) so there isn't a huge reason to panic as long as the proper precautions are taken, but I do know a bunch of "storm chasers" [emoji19]

Especially the first month or two of classes because they all start visibly panicking and they're looking around and the rest of us that have lived here our whole lives are just hanging out and laughing haha. Fortunately most places around here have basements (apparently that is rare when you don't live in the Midwest, I learned that a while ago) so there isn't a huge reason to panic as long as the proper precautions are taken, but I do know a bunch of "storm chasers" [emoji19]

I can't stand amateur storm chasers. Sure, I get that some people need to collect data on weather systems, but leave that to professionals! It's funny how they're so blase about chasing a colossal dust vortex, but then they want to start freaking out when it gets too close to them. Like, what did you expect? A tornado can change direction at any time, don't be surprised if it starts chasing you.

Yeah I'm one of those people haha. Tornados are nothing new around here and I've been close to several touchdowns over the years but I'm used to it. Tornados don't scare me, but I also don't go out of my way to be around them. My mom and my sister always panic when there are tornado warnings and I'm the calm one. Now that I don't live at home (I live about 40 minutes away) my mom calls me and makes me stay on the phone with her as long as possible when there is a warning or a watch going on.

My close friend was in Oklahoma earlier in the summer with her mom visiting relatives and there was a tornado. My friend took a video of her mom freaking out while their relatives are just laughing. It's pretty funny! Though I would probably freak out too... I'll take earthquakes over tornados any day.

My close friend was in Oklahoma earlier in the summer with her mom visiting relatives and there was a tornado. My friend took a video of her mom freaking out while their relatives are just laughing. It's pretty funny! Though I would probably freak out too... I'll take earthquakes over tornados any day.

Omg no. Earthquakes would terrify me haha. We had a very very very minor aftershock here once and people lost their minds.

I disagree, you can't really escape an earthquake. And I would be terrified.

But then again, animals can give you warning weeks ahead of time. I once read about a Californian man who predicts earthquakes by reading the newspaper every day and counting the number of missing pet notices. When the numbers start to peak, he leaves the area and an earthquake hits.

Back