OT New Random Thread Pt. 3

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
I mean I legitimately have no idea how any of this works (PC doesn't have Greek life so I never went through recruitment), but this recruitment video seemed...standard, I guess, compared to others I've seen.

I just don't understand why this is a national story. It's not even a slow news week.

We had Greek life but it was nothing like it is down South. Fraternity/sorority houses, if they existed, were about as rundown as most off campus apartments that students rented have been.

I think this one may have gone viral because the production value is so much higher. It's like a music video and they're all so pretty and blowing glitter and dancing around in bathing suits and coordinated (nice) outfits. It's like a caricature, but I don't think it's viral because it's necessarily offensive or anything. It's stands out a lot more than the video you posted though.

Last edited:
I remember when everyone made a huge fuss over the FSU 2013 delta gamma video, and now there's this. I'm just waiting for when a fraternity makes one filled with douchey frat boys with six packs. Then again I think FSU already did that as well...

I think the video was great honestly. It looks like they have a lot of fun, I loved the parts at the stadium. It actually made me think twice about my decision not to join a sorority, so bravo I guess haha.

Yes, there's a lack of diversity, but I didn't feel like they were trying to show off how white they are (struggling with how to word that). I think it showed what they wanted it to, their house, the campus, and that they have fun together.

Slightly related question, but do all those girls live together?? That honestly would seem like a recipe for disaster at my school.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slightly related question, but do all those girls live together?? That honestly would seem like a recipe for disaster at my school.

It depends. You can live in the house or you can choose to not live in the house. So many of them live together, yes. I don't know if they have their own rooms or not, but I would assume that most rooms have two girls.

One year I lived with a girl on my cheer team and when coed merged with all girl she went from a flyer to being my base and we spent so much time together and we were ready to kill each other by the end of the year.

I think the video was great honestly. It looks like they have a lot of fun, I loved the parts at the stadium. It actually made me think twice about my decision not to join a sorority, so bravo I guess haha.

Yes, there's a lack of diversity, but I didn't feel like they were trying to show off how white they are (struggling with how to word that). I think it showed what they wanted it to, their house, the campus, and that they have fun together.

I think the video was highly effective at attracting like females to want to be in the sorority. I think the issue is that a sorority is NOT supposed to be just a social club. And all they are promoting is pretty girly socialness. Take away Alpha Phi and put in the worlds 'Habitat for Humanity'. If this video was released by the Alabama Habitat for Humanity group I think more people would understand it because that is obviously NOT what HH is supposed to be about.

I worked on a frat house once and they had up to 4 boys per room and I think they had between 10-15 rooms.

**Sometimes I day dream Cheer Son is almost as good as Susie and then reality sets in**

I don't really know where I stand on the video situation. Does it show ALL the sorority has to offer? No. Was it supposed to? No. I saw a comment online from a UGA grad standing up for them. Basically saying should he be mad that UGA doesn't show an academics promo after every football hype video they produce? Obviously this video does not highlight all Alpha Phi stands for, but I don't think that's what they were going for here. I'm willing to bet they have about 5 or 6 more videos highlighting their service, academics and leadership. This is just the one that happened to get singled out.

The lack of diversity is really the only startling issue to me. I actually have one friend in Alpha Phi at Bama. Coincidentally, she is African American. Many of you probably know her too. She is a Shooting Stars alum.

Makes me happy SC previewed all of our recruitment videos and gave them the go ahead before promoting or showing to new members.

It depends. You can live in the house or you can choose to not live in the house. So many of them live together, yes. I don't know if they have their own rooms or not, but I would assume that most rooms have two girls.

One year I lived with a girl on my cheer team and when coed merged with all girl she went from a flyer to being my base and we spent so much time together and we were ready to kill each other by the end of the year.

I have a friend that lived in her sorority house and they had sleeping dorms where every person on that floor sleep in the same room. It was a bunch of bunk beds packed into a small space. They had rooms with closets, room for a mini fridge, living space, vanities that were their rooms but they all slept in the same area.

Not all, no. Their house does sleep over 60 members though. I lived in my sorority house in school and we had about 20 rooms housing 40 girls. Bunk beds in each room upstairs plus three single rooms downstairs for the president and two vice presidents (and a seperate house mom suite). It's basically the same as any other all female dorm (except you're better friends with all the residents)

Some houses have large loft spaces housing 20+ girls in one room, but those are more rare these days.

I have a friend that lived in her sorority house and they had sleeping dorms where every person on that floor sleep in the same room. It was a bunch of bunk beds packed into a small space. They had rooms with closets, room for a mini fridge, living space, vanities that were their rooms but they all slept in the same area.

that sounds like the plot of those Madeline books from childhood.

Not all, no. Their house does sleep over 60 members though. I lived in my sorority house in school and we had about 20 rooms housing 40 girls. Bunk beds in each room upstairs plus three single rooms downstairs for the president and two vice presidents (and a seperate house mom suite). It's basically the same as any other all female dorm (except you're better friends with all the residents)

Some houses have large loft spaces housing 20+ girls in one room, but those are more rare these days.

Ok thanks for the explanation. In my college it's very different. We have on campus accommodation which is between 4-6 people per apartment, is mixed and each person has their own private bedroom.

I initially thought that there must be a very large number of girls living together, but you are right in saying it's not much different than a dorm. I hadn't thought of it like that because my setup is so different.

I know two girls in that A Phi chapter at Alabama. They're great :) The whole school in general is not diverse, so as someone else said, it's hard to justify that argument. As a Greek woman I'm pretty biased toward the situation but I am from the Midwest and Greek life is significantly different up here, so I don't completely understand how it works in the south. Whoever wrote the initial article is being pretty dramatic but I can see why some are a little "eh" about it.

I don't really know where I stand on the video situation. Does it show ALL the sorority has to offer? No. Was it supposed to? No. I saw a comment online from a UGA grad standing up for them. Basically saying should he be mad that UGA doesn't show an academics promo after every football hype video they produce? Obviously this video does not highlight all Alpha Phi stands for, but I don't think that's what they were going for here. I'm willing to bet they have about 5 or 6 more videos highlighting their service, academics and leadership. This is just the one that happened to get singled out.

The lack of diversity is really the only startling issue to me. I actually have one friend in Alpha Phi at Bama. Coincidentally, she is African American. Many of you probably know her too. She is a Shooting Stars alum.

Makes me happy SC previewed all of our recruitment videos and gave them the go ahead before promoting or showing to new members.

I don't think putting one little brown face in their video would have done anything to help their lack of diversity.... it would have been akin to "we're not racist, look at our black friend!"....(which is the role the football player basically played anyway). Even though that would have (possibly) not been their intent, it still would have been perceived that way, realistically given today's social climate.. I'm not saying I see it that way, I'm just pointing out how I know a lot of people would have interpreted it.... in this day and age....in consideration to whats going on...socially. I probably would have drastically changed "who" is in "uproar" over this video, actually.

Not being in that video is probably the best thing shes ever done with her life.....

I'd feel the same way if the AKA's put out a recruitment video (although they wouldn't) and randomly highlighted a white AKA.... doesn't really change the lack of diversity...and it would be obvious of what they were trying to do

And still I say, they knew who they were targeting in that video and who they were trying to appeal to. Whether or not they have "sisters" that fit other molds (black, Asian, plus sized, obviously of latin/hispanic/spanish orgin etc), they opted to leave them at home the day of the video shoot...whether it was deliberate or coincidental, we will never know...and I doubt they will ever tell us... (And for the most part we don't really care because we will find something else to be in uproar about in due time).

Back