OT New Random Thread Pt. 3

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Because Texas homecoming mums area common subject on here during this time of year. Inside The Weird Texas Tradition of Enormous Homecoming Corsages

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep. Homecoming mums are big in Texas. Here was mine from senior year.

289030_304095802940512_902297269_o_zpsyurkhyml.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

My son was very similar. We actually had to resort to using a thickener in his bottles and it was like night and day, no more spitting up! Simply Thick and Thick It are 2 brands. They are available at most drugstores and I think are used for diabetics or something, not sure. We used simply thick packets. (Looked like ketchup packets.) Added it to his bottle and stirred. It was magical. And totally safe for a little one because it honestly has nothing in it, its not a medicine.

I was never able to successfully breastfeed with either of my kids. I saw several lactation consultants and tried it all, even medication. I just never produced enough. I remember the heartbreak of feeding my babies and then hearing them cry and having nothing for them, I feel for you. You do what you have to do, and sometimes it isnt your 1st choice but formula exists for a reason. I would have less than 2 oz collected at the end of a day of pumping every 2 hrs. It was horrible.
Thickening agents are used for people who have trouble swallowing. Lessens the chances of choking. We diabetics can swallow fine for the most part :)

That's what I was about to ask. @cheernerd5678 , they are supposed to check your iron level beforehand.
Oh I didn't mean they passed out from not having enough iron, they just get deferred if they don't. I'm assuming the reason people keep passing out is that they're just not eating healthy like they should! Sorry I know the wording was kind of confusing.

I eat lucky charms every time before I donate and its never failed me.
Makes sense. The reason why some people pass out is that the body could be stressing or adrenaline is pumpin and the body releases too much insulin. Happens a lot when people get piercings and tattoos as well. Glucose before hand means you're running your blood sugar a bit higher which is a good thing when giving blood.

Yep. Homecoming mums are big in Texas. Here was mine from senior year.

289030_304095802940512_902297269_o_zpsyurkhyml.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
I just snorted see this. Good thing I'm alone in my car. Are those class pictures of you through the years? How does one not collapse under the weight?

I really don't mean to make fun of you or other Texans about this tradition, it's just so alien to me. If it wasn't for this forum, the mere concept of mums would never ever have even existed in my world.

Mums weird me out and I still don't get them but I like the fact that the mom/someone close to the kid makes them. I think that's super cute. (I know that sometimes people buy them but I like to believe all the moms make them. And they sit there and cry about how much their babies have grown up but they're still smiling as they make them.)

I'm like low key kind of freaking out about donating blood tomorrow... I'm volunteering at the drive rn and I thought being here would make me a little less freaked out but nope. I'm not freaked out when they draw blood at the doctors or by needles or anything but for some reason this whole thing is making me really nervous. It doesn't help that my roommate and my best friend both passed out after donating. Someone tell me I'll be fine :help:
I tried to give blood once in college for some sorority thing, I was right at the cutoff weight so that let me, but ugh it was so bad! First my blood just stopped coming out when the bag was only half full, then when they told me to cliche and unclich my hand to try and get it moving I almost fainted and they had to stop, so I'm not sure they could even use what they got. I also felt so sick for the next few days. I hope you have much better luck!:)

Don't even complain... I personally know people who think Donald Trump is the best choice to run our country.

Heyyyy @King how long will the FB transition take? One can only go so long without oxygen.

ETA: SO I'M CURRENTLY HAVING AN OUTER BODY EXPERIENCE AND MAAAAAJOR NOSTALGIA

Last edited:
I'm like low key kind of freaking out about donating blood tomorrow... I'm volunteering at the drive rn and I thought being here would make me a little less freaked out but nope. I'm not freaked out when they draw blood at the doctors or by needles or anything but for some reason this whole thing is making me really nervous. It doesn't help that my roommate and my best friend both passed out after donating. Someone tell me I'll be fine :help:
I usually have a rough time donating blood and being nervous about it, but I still donate blood regularly. Here are my tips and tricks!
1. Be sure to eat a decent meal and drink lots of water beforehand! A good meal will help prevent passing out and drinking lots of water will make it go faster.
2. Bring a distraction, like your phone or a magazine or a book. Even though it only takes like 10 minutes (at the most!) keeping yourself distracted will help keep away nerves.
3. Tell your person you're nervous. They'll keep a closer eye on you and can help calm you down. I usually have my person tilt me back a little and/or put some ice on the back of my neck.
4. Breathe and relax. I have the tendency to tense up and hold my breath without noticing it, so I focus on breathing.
Hope this helps, but I'm sure you'll do great! Donating blood is something I'm pretty passionate about, so it makes me happy when people do it! Let us know how it goes! :)

@U.E. Cheer I wish you could see the face I'm making. I'm equal parts impressed and confused.
Lol I know its strange to non-Texans, but thats all we know!

@U.E. Cheer I wish you could see the face I'm making. I'm equal parts impressed and confused.
Idk if thats good or bad.. its just tradition. High school football is everything in Texas, its just our way of showing some school spirit - and having fun on homecoming week!

I just snorted see this. Good thing I'm alone in my car. Are those class pictures of you through the years? How does one not collapse under the weight?

I really don't mean to make fun of you or other Texans about this tradition, it's just so alien to me. If it wasn't for this forum, the mere concept of mums would never ever have even existed in my world.
Lol yes they are pictures through the years. It hung around my neck and wasn't that heavy. Its alright! I know its strange to everyone else but its SO fun to make!

Mums weird me out and I still don't get them but I like the fact that the mom/someone close to the kid makes them. I think that's super cute. (I know that sometimes people buy them but I like to believe all the moms make them. And they sit there and cry about how much their babies have grown up but they're still smiling as they make them.)
My really good family friend that I cheered with her daughter for years made mine. It was really special because our families were super close throughout my childhood!

Hope I shed some light on the mum tradition - @Angelica help me out lol

ETA - heres a body comparison lol

I'm finally allowed to donate blood again. I hate needles, but I think it's important. I'm not a great donator though, so it doesn't always work for me. Gotta find time to try again

Back