OT New Random Thread Pt. 3

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
No we haven't made great strides.

For the most part in order for a "black film" or a black actor to get a nomination, it has to be for a role that either fulfills a stereotype (Denzel Washington in Training Day; Halle Berry in Monsters Ball), they have to get whipped and retell the horrors of slavery (Lupita Nyong'o, 12 Years a Slave, Chidewe Owuluwo, DJango) or they have to retell the horrors and injustices of the civil rights movement (Octavia Spencer, The Help)

When "black films" are snubbed people always feel it's the films like Selma or The Butler

Because that's all black people are to Hollywood. Muses to help retell unspeakable tragedy. I'm over it. I don't care any more. I'm done

The Oscar committee or whatever it's called clearly watched Creed and ignored Michael B. Jordan's performance, yet whoa. Wait. Wow. Let's give some dept to Sylvester Stallone's Rocky Balboa in the form of a cancer battle and suddenly his performance is Oscar nomination worthy and Golden Globe worthy?

SURE. [emoji106][emoji108]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Oscars are lame, it's just a bunch of friends voting for their friends!

No we haven't made great strides.

For the most part in order for a "black film" or a black actor to get a nomination, it has to be for a role that either fulfills a stereotype (Denzel Washington in Training Day; Halle Berry in Monsters Ball), they have to get whipped and retell the horrors of slavery (Lupita Nyong'o, 12 Years a Slave, Chidewe Owuluwo, DJango) or they have to retell the horrors and injustices of the civil rights movement (Octavia Spencer, The Help)

When "black films" are snubbed people always feel it's the films like Selma or The Butler

Because that's all black people are to Hollywood. Muses to help retell unspeakable tragedy. I'm over it. I don't care any more. I'm done

The Oscar committee or whatever it's called clearly watched Creed and ignored Michael B. Jordan's performance, yet whoa. Wait. Wow. Let's give some dept to Sylvester Stallone's Rocky Balboa in the form of a cancer battle and suddenly his performance is Oscar nomination worthy and Golden Globe worthy?

SURE. [emoji106][emoji108]

And what about Dope. Dope was quirky. Brilliant. But wait....undeserving

Meanwhile Juno got all the awards. All the nominations. All the applause.

Black artists aren't being overlooked. You can't be overlooked if someone is deliberately not trying to see you (or in some instances only seen when convenient )
Ok. I'm just trying to be supportive. I was more talking non Oscar worthy movies. Thank you for telling me your view, it is very enlightening.

And apparently Leonardo DiCaprio has no friends. (to bring this convo full circle )

Well since the Oscars are 94% males they are probably not voting for Leo because they are salty since Leo gets all the girls[emoji23][emoji23]

It snowed an inch today and DC shut down entirely.

We're supposed to get 20 inches this weekend.

:)

(also, is anyone on here a University of Maryland cheerleader? I feel like someone is...anyhow I was at the UMD/Northwestern game last night and your arena is pretty spiffy)

7d9d0a9c7bc2f789ba861b4596c67d43.jpg

Replace "Emmy" with "Oscar"

But let me tell you why I, as a black woman don't care about the "oscar boycott crap"

1. I wasn't going anyway. My Oscar de la Renta gown and Balimain heels that I don't have will remain untouched. My Cartier diamonds that I don't own will stay in a safe I've never had access to. I wasn't watching either. I'll be watching RHOA, KUWTK, the world turn, tumbleweeds and paint dry.

2. The people calling for the boycott of the Oscars aren't calling for an economic boycott. Let's boycott the movies. Let's boycott production companies. But wait? Hold up. Can't do that! You still want us to go see "Concussion" you still want us to go see "Chi-raq". You want us to continue to put money into your bank accounts all the while still convincing us to boycott an event that WE HISTORICALLY HAVE NEVER CARED ABOUT.

3. I don't look for validation from people that historically have not cared about me and I suggest black entertainers and artists learn to do the same. Their lives will improve immensely. I know mine has.

Preach. Has anyone seen Aunt Viv's response?

Its been mentioned in celebrities twitters, news articles straight forward that not enough black actors who "deserved" to be nominated, were snubbed in nominations this year. And that chris rock needs to boycott being the host to stand up to the oscars for not nominating enough black roles, etc.
I mean i took this straight from celebrities twitters, and what ive read in the news its not like i made it up. It is technically what they are saying currently.
EVERYTHING these days has to be so PC its pathetic. I mean certain white actors have been snubbed by the oscars for how many years now, i could name a few, yet i dont see them boycotting award ceremonies for not getting nominated or winning.
Im sorry but people really just need to grow a backbone.

Its been mentioned in celebrities twitters, news articles straight forward that not enough black actors who "deserved" to be nominated, were snubbed in nominations this year. And that chris rock needs to boycott being the host to stand up to the oscars for not nominating enough black roles, etc.
I mean i took this straight from celebrities twitters, and what ive read in the news its not like i made it up. It is technically what they are saying currently.
EVERYTHING these days has to be so PC its pathetic. I mean certain white actors have been snubbed by the oscars for how many years now, i could name a few, yet i dont see them boycotting award ceremonies for not getting nominated or winning.
Im sorry but people really just need to grow a backbone.
The annoyance wasn't at you not being on board with the boycott/saying that the boycott was happening... It was about the BET comment.

(also, is anyone on here a University of Maryland cheerleader? I feel like someone is...anyhow I was at the UMD/Northwestern game last night and your arena is pretty spiffy)
I'm almost giggling because Southern states flip out and close everything because of 1 inch... imagine what they would do because of 20!

I love the fact that we're using smiley faces as "trying to hold it together but secretly want to scream/kill someone". LOL.

Columbia public schools were closed today because we got a couple inches (like 3 max) MID DAY YESTERDAY. last night and during the day yesterday, the roads were really slick because the snow came mid day so there was no time to plow it. But they cancelled school at around 9 last night before there was even a chance for anyone to plow? They plowed last night and even shoveled the sidewalks on campus and the roads were perfectly fine and completely clear. Meanwhile, last year when I didn't have to make up snow days (senior) we didn't get any -_-
People kept asking if Mizzou was gonna get a snow day today [emoji849] no homies Mizzou never closes so get yourself some snow boots and a warm coat!

Latest posts

Back