OT New Random Thread Pt. 3

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
We had off campus lunch every day senior year (it could get revoked if you got in trouble or something) and I would usually hit McDonalds, Chick Fil A, Wendys or Subway. Sometimes Bojangles or Moes. They were all fairly close but anything further you would usually risk being late for your next class. We only had like 42 minutes for lunch. We were definitely guilty of going to the restroom and calling in a pick up order somewhere if we wanted something different. I could only image what we would have pulled if online ordering was as big of a thing back in 09. I think I went home maaaaybe once. I was pushed on time to get home, eat, and get back to campus within the allotted period.

About a year after I graduated they opened a Zaxbys literally right beside my school and I was so bitter. I would have been there on the reg.

Lunch was 42 mins? I feel like we used to go all over the earth....well Forest Acres. I'd go home or to my friends houses. Back then Chick Fil A took checks. Bojangles was still on Forest (both locations) and there were restaurants still in Richland Mall.

I also remember we couldn't bring food back on campus for the youngin's and Mike Sisk on his golf cart with the rims checking to make sure we didn't sneak people off campus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't even think of a local high school with an open campus/ off campus lunch. My school can't do it because we're on a busy highway and only 25 minute lunch time. It would take you at least 5 minutes to get down to the only food options nearby. Do schools even have open campus anymore?? anywhere?

I can't even think of a local high school with an open campus/ off campus lunch. My school can't do it because we're on a busy highway and only 25 minute lunch time. It would take you at least 5 minutes to get down to the only food options nearby. Do schools even have open campus anymore?? anywhere?
my old high school looks like a jail now, lol. they've done a ton of construction and expanding since i graduated.

The next town over has open campus, DH's employer is opening a new restaurant right by the school banking on that fact.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

The junior high I teach in is open campus, and all high schools in the area are open campus as well. I believe most junior high/middle schools in the area are open campus for lunch. Nothing like a slushie run at lunch to keep your sugar levels up

My high school is open campus for upperclassmen (and underclassmen still leave bc they have no way of enforcing it). However they only have 30 minute lunches, including passing period. luckily there are close options but you have to have a car because you wouldn't be able to walk anywhere, get food, and be back in 30 minutes. Teachers didn't care if you ate in class unless it was a science class and you had a lab that day so a lot of people would just eat in class if they went out.
I usually stuck around for lunch partially out of laziness and partially because I wanted to keep my close parking spot (I had a zero hour so was always close) but during "AUT" which is basically free period/study hall I would go home or like run errands a lot since class periods were 1.5 hours. I would go out for lunch a few times a semester but it just gets expensive if you do it all the time and I hated being rushed.

Ours is not. It was until about 6-7 years ago when there was a terrible car accident right near the school with kids coming back from lunch. Our lunch periods are the same length as all our other periods though (41 or 42 minutes long) so there was technically enough time to go and come back.

Not at my school. Leaving and coming late is super strict, you have to sign in and out at the office. Signing out you need a parent to sign a note or come in in person and speak directly to the office. You can't say "I'm going to the doctors/dentists/home, mum will be here in a second". They have to come in and speak in person to the office. Last time I was late I went to the office to get a late pass, and they asked me for a reason. I'm just like "I don't know, I just slept in" and they're like "Next time you need a signed note". I was just trying to get to school quickly lol. I don't think people drive their cars to school either, or very seldom do. Keep in mind the driving age is 18, at 16 you can get your L's but they're basically just you can drive with a parent, no later than (time), not with (amount) of friends etc there's a whole lot of rules with them.

Ours is not. It was until about 6-7 years ago when there was a terrible car accident right near the school with kids coming back from lunch. Our lunch periods are the same length as all our other periods though (41 or 42 minutes long) so there was technically enough time to go and come back.

Ours turned into the perfect time for police to enforce the # of passengers law (in NJ, you can only have one non-family member in the car until you're 18) and the perfect time to give out speeding tickets since on campus was technically 15 mph but everyone went 40. There were also plenty of accidents, luckily none fatal. I think they did ban it all together after I graduated.

That's so interesting! My county is super small but my school is on the border of two different counties, so there's a major road close to our school. I can't think of any major accidents in the past six years connected to my school and our open lunch.

All the HS's in my county have some sort of Senior requirement to graduate. My school has Senior Project and it's a class period built into the school day, you're allowed to leave during this period in the second quarter. Most use the time to complete some service or internship requirement but you can also just use it to go home early or come to school late, or get a late lunch as the period is 1.5 hours long. The other school in our county has 'senior experience' where Seniors use the last month of school to intern/work. About three years ago, a kid died during this period because his friends were driving a car and pulling him along on a skateboard. They debated changing the protocol because the students weren't using the time the way they were supposed to but I don't think they did. At least with our version of Senior Project students still are required to be in school for most of the day.

My school had open lunch while my brother attended (class of 2005) but that ended very quickly... Most students would leave anyway and come back (or not). My senior year, I only had four periods so I was able to leave at lunch and not return. The closest food places are publix, starbucks, sushi place, and a pizza place. Any further and you wouldn't make it back in time for 5th period.
This also allowed me to make some extra money and charge people a fee for me to go get them chickfila and bring it back to school for them ;)

My high school was really laid back. We weren't supposed to leave and come back for lunch but nobody really cared. To the point where teachers would allow you to take their car to get lunch for yourself if you brought them back something. But my high school was also in a really small town (I'm talking one red light in the whole town). Our only choices for food was a local bbq place, mcdonalds, and Wendy's. Which were all still better than the cafeteria food anyway.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

In case anyone cares....it appears that Girl Meets World is going to be cancelled

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back