OT New Random Thread Pt. 3

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
no no no no that's even worse.

1. Not everyone should go to college. There should be a course level appropriate for these students. (this was "level 2" at my high school, but other schools call it "standard prep" or "college prep-2 year school")
1.a. Not everyone is capable of college work, which is fine! We're all different.
1.b. Not everyone is going to want to go to college either. Plenty of jobs do not require a college degree.

2. Some people want to go to college, but are comfortably in the middle of the bell curve intellectually. There should be something for these students. (We called this "level three" at my high school, but most places call this "college prep")

3. Not everyone can handle Advanced Placement (which is supposed to equal a college course) while in high school. There should be something for these students as well. This would be "honors," for students with a higher intellectual capacity than the level 2 or level 3 kids, but who are not quite ready for the rigor AP courses.

4. AP/Dual enrollment. (self-explanatory. the top of the top are in these courses.)

Putting students in an environment with their intellectual equals will benefit them more than putting them in a classroom with a wide variety of intelligence/motivational levels. This would presumably make the teacher's job easier as well.

How big is your high school?
We have a little over 1800 students so around 450 per grade
I loved my school my sophomore year, then they made all these ridiculous changes without listening to us OR our parents (bc I know students don't know everything) and now we're a mess. One of the programs that students were very vocal about being a stupid idea is now being discontinued after this year because - surprise surprise, it was a stupid idea and everyone hates it! If only we could've predicted that :rolleyes:

When I was in high school back in the dark, or rather neon, age of the 1980s, we only had three AP classes: English, U.S. History, and Physics. I only took U.S. History. I took college prep English which was, according to the teacher, the harder of the two classes. I got the only "A" in two sections of the college prep class!

My now retired cp has taken dual credit U.S. History and is currently taking dual credit pre-calculus. I believe that next year, she will be taking the first two semesters dual credit English, dual credit sociology, dual credit psychology, and dual credit trigonometry.

I don't know if the school she is wanting to attend will accept any of the credits, but it is a good educational experience and opportunity.

My husband and I are heading to Paris and London in two weeks for a belated honeymoon. I got a bunch of great suggestions last time I asked here (New New Random Thread... | Page 895 | Fierce Board - The Voice Of Cheer

We have 4 full days in Paris, plus the day we arrive and the day we head to London. Two of those days will be spent at Roland Garros for tennis, and we plan to do sightseeing the other two days. We're staying near the Louvre.

Then we head to London and have 3 full days there. One day is going to be spent at the Harry Potter museum and we have tickets to see The Book of Morman one night. Otherwise we have two full days for sightseeing. We're staying next to Victoria Station near Buckingham Palace.

I know we got a lot of great suggestions last time I asked, but figured I'd throw it out there again. Any suggestions for apps we should get or things we should see?! My husband isn't big on museums, so I can probably only drag him to one in each city.

OK. Attention college students (and high school maybe):

If I have to fire you from your UNPAID internship, you need to reevaluate some of your life choices. If I'd rather come to work 2 hours earlier on Saturdays and do all the work by myself (on a SATURDAY, which is a shift that is delivered directly from h*ll) than deal with you... It's time to take your entire life and pull it all the way together.

It's 5 weeks until our recital, so we need every ounce of help we can get. We work around the clock right now. And still I'm firing you tomorrow morning. This means you probably need to make some big changes.

If I have to fire you from your UNPAID internship, you need to reevaluate some of your life choices. If I'd rather come to work 2 hours earlier on Saturdays and do all the work by myself (on a SATURDAY, which is a shift that is delivered directly from h*ll) than deal with you... It's time to take your entire life and pull it all the way together.

It's 5 weeks until our recital, so we need every ounce of help we can get. We work around the clock right now. And still I'm firing you tomorrow morning. This means you probably need to make some big changes.

OUCH...that is not a good thing at all. Unpaid interns should be working their butts off to impress!!

Or find a nicer boss [emoji12]

Sucks to be the intern. Good luck.

**Wingardium Leviosa...Susies tryout mantra**

I can confirm that unpaid interns don't want to be there as much as you don't want them there.

I know that doesn't help your situation. Good luck with all the work!!

My husband and I are heading to Paris and London in two weeks for a belated honeymoon. I got a bunch of great suggestions last time I asked here (New New Random Thread... | Page 895 | Fierce Board - The Voice Of Cheer

We have 4 full days in Paris, plus the day we arrive and the day we head to London. Two of those days will be spent at Roland Garros for tennis, and we plan to do sightseeing the other two days. We're staying near the Louvre.

Then we head to London and have 3 full days there. One day is going to be spent at the Harry Potter museum and we have tickets to see The Book of Morman one night. Otherwise we have two full days for sightseeing. We're staying next to Victoria Station near Buckingham Palace.

I know we got a lot of great suggestions last time I asked, but figured I'd throw it out there again. Any suggestions for apps we should get or things we should see?! My husband isn't big on museums, so I can probably only drag him to one in each city.

Well, I was in Paris last weekend, so I have a little "wisdom" to pass on... Be very careful about your valuables in touristic places, even if they're not too crowded. Nothing of value in your pockets, I mean it.
After visiting Montmartre and the Sacré-Coeur, I was in line for the funicular to go back down the hill. There was one leaving in less than a minute so people were starting to push forward (because apparently waiting 3 minutes until the next one is too hard...). Someone was seriously crowding me on my left side so I thought maybe he was with the group in front of me, so I went back a couple steps to see if he wanted to join them. That's when I felt his index finger hooked in my pocket. I clamped one hand on that pocket (and felt my phone was still in there, thankfully), the other on my bag, and made sure to be loud enough so that he wouldn't have a choice but to leave quickly.

I think I was pretty lucky, because my pockets are deep (litteraly... not so much figuratively...), so you really had to dig in to get to the phone (which I almost never put in my pocket by the way, so I think he saw me check the time and slip it in my pocket... creepy...). He also probably counted on me to rush forward like everyone else, in which case all he needed was two fingers grabbing my phone and it would have slipped out easily and I probably wouldn't have felt it. My slight agoraphobia actually proved useful !

So yeah, be careful about that. And be prepared for annoyingly persistant people selling crap at every single touristic spot.
But other than that not-so-pleasant anecdote, Montmartre is lovely for a casual stroll and there are some cheap enough places to eat (in terms of "Paris prices", the city as a whole is outrageously expensive). The Sacré-Coeur is a very pretty church and can be a nice break if the weather isn't too good.

I can confirm that unpaid interns don't want to be there as much as you don't want them there.

I know that doesn't help your situation. Good luck with all the work!!
Well, I do want them to be there... It's how we run our business. Internships are not about wanting to be there. They're about showing that you're ready to grow up and work.

I didn't ask if she "wanted" to be there. She applied for an internship and I gave her one. So she should either do the job that she asked for, or not.

And it's not like I've never been an unpaid intern. I just have a work ethic. We have 7 other interns that don't completely suck. And she needs the credits to graduate this summer, so don't think I won't be calling her school and letting them know we fired her. She had 5 more weeks, and she's 22. Time to grow up.

Side note - it's unpaid in money. But they get free dance classes. She's a dancer. Dance is a small world (like any other industry). Having a big name person (not me lol - my boss) fire you is no bueno.

I'm a super nice boss (probably too nice, which is the problem). But I can only take so much. This was probably a very stupid bridge for her to burn, considering the people that work there.

(can you tell I'm pi$$ed? She has completely screwed us over, so I'm pretty salty today)

Back