OT New Random Thread Pt. 3

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
We used to have an ice cream truck, and students used to be able to order food. Seniors could leave campus for lunch.

The county nixed the ice cream truck after literally decades of it existing, and the year after I graduated they banned ordering because it was causing students to be late to class or missing their orders. I always said I left school just in time because there is no way I would've survived without being able to order soph/jr years even with my mom working at my school.
We had what was called senior lunch days which happened about once or twice a month, where we were allowed to leave campus.
I went to a VERY overcrowded high school my last two years, which is why lunch was such madness sometimes.

We had what was called senior lunch days which happened about once or twice a month, where we were allowed to leave campus.
I went to a VERY overcrowded high school my last two years, which is why lunch was such madness sometimes.

We could leave for lunch any day we wanted. Most kids in my friend group drove so we'd switch off and sometimes three of us would go and pick up food for the group. My senior year they implemented a school-wide study period, then my lunch was right after. So normally we'd order during study hall and leave to get food to actually have time. Not to mention parking was wild because the parking lot was still under construction. You'd not only have to factor in driving to get food, but also finding a spot.

Our new building also reduced the size of the traditional cafeteria, and made our 'lobby' a giant space with seating and tables where you could eat lunch + a courtyard. It was normally packed so most the time we at lunch in a friend's aunt classroom. Enrollment is up so much now that they had to add a third lunch to make space.

All of these crazy rotating periods and multiple lunches.... My high school had 6 periods. 1, 2, break, 3, 4, lunch, then 5 and 6. Wednesday's and Thursday's were block days so you had your odd periods for two hours one day than even periods the next to allow for labs and presentations. Everyone had lunch at the same time but upperclassmen got to leave campus.
I only ate breakfast at school a few times, but they had muffins from a local bakery which were really good and cheaper than you could get at the bakery! Never had lunch, I always brought my own.

My school had 7 periods a day. They remained the same throughout the year, unless you were taking a quarter/half year class. You always had gym before or after your science class (except freshman year bio, as that didn't have lab days) and one day a week, you'd miss gym for lab.

You could have lunch any period of the day - so as early as 8:30-9 or as late as 2. I had second period lunch my freshman year and it was miserable. Having last lunch was great, because you were allowed to leave early. Athletes were allowed to request 7th period lunch, because then they wouldn't miss any class for home games and only missed 6th period for away games.

My school had about 2000 students, but it was built for a much smaller number in the 1930s. So the staggered lunches was supposed to help with that, especially since we weren't allowed to leave campus, and the senior class had to earn the privilege to just go outside during lunch.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Some of it funded through community organizations - FNMI groups, etc. I'm not sure if the Province directly funds the programs (as I am no longer at a school with this funding), but I know these community groups do receive money from the Province/City. No, there is no standardization that I know of. I was jumping in more to say that this does happen in Canada too. It's not strictly an American problem
Lol no, of course I know hunger in Canada is an issue.

My school had the same 8 periods everyday. 1st-4th and 6th-8th were all 45 minutes long. 5th period was an hour long and was lunch for all 1,600 students. We had an open lunch so you could eat in classrooms, the cafeteria, small gym, outside or wherever as long as you stayed on campus.
Our lunch was called "Lunch Plus" and was two 30 minute halves aka A and B lunch. The idea was that you would eat one half and then attend a club, get tutoring, receive help from teachers, make up tests, ect. during the other half. I loved our schedule and the lunch hour was really nice to be able to choose what I needed to do. The flexibility really helped when I missed school for cheer because I had the extra time to catch up and my teachers could give me one on one help that there wasn't time for in class.

My school had 4 periods a day (which sucked so bad) and then the next semester we would have a different 4 classes. on wednesdays we had "advisory" which was basically homeroom. We weren't allowed to leave for lunch and we couldn't eat outside either. We had 4 lunch periods and each academy would have a different one. also, nobody could bring you lunch unless they were on your emergency contact list. But on wednesdays we did get out at 2:30 instead of 3:30.

Our school had 6 periods. The same 6 period every day.

We had 1st, 2nd, and 3rd lunch...
If you had 1st lunch you would go to lunch before 4th period.
If you had 2nd lunch you would report to 4th period and be there for half the class and then go to lunch and come back to 4th period after lunch.
If you had 3rd lunch you would complete 4th period and then go to lunch.

So basically 4th period was really long, but you take your lunch before, during, or after 4th so it was like a normal period.

School ended at 2:41 every day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There were schools in my area that only have 3 or four classes a day since they were on what we all called "block scheduling." Not my school though! We had 7 periods for everyone, and then 8th period for underclassmen. Upperclassmen could get that class off if they didn't have other classes they needed to take. It allowed us to get jobs when we were seniors and driving and all that.
Some of my classes though were M, W, F and I would either have a T, TH class as well, or study hall on those days.

Oh, and my school was pretty big, so we had three lunch periods every day. I was also in A lunch since I was marching band and we had outdoor marking practice all fall and then parade practice in the spring since we always went on some trip or another around spring break.

My high school is 8am-2:30pm.
We have a normal schedule 1,2,3, 4 (3 separate lunches), 5,6. We also have a voluntary 0 period. from like 7-8am. Its mainly PE classes and 2 music classes. I'm too lazy for 0 period.
We also have "Eagle Period" where we have advisory which is 100% pointless for everyone except seniors towards the end of the year. So in those days we go 1,2,3,4 (lunch), 5, eagle period, 6. They purposely put it before 6th so people wouldn't skip it. Also why our assemblies are before 6th period. People like to skip things at my school.

My high school starts at 7:55 we get out at 3
M,T,F we have all 6 classes. Everybody has break and lunch at the same time. Nobody can go off campus for lunch and pretty much everybody just stands outside but if you're lucky enough you have a nice teacher that lets you just sit and eat in their classroom, which is what I do.

Wednesday's we have 1,3,5 with break,lunch and a one hour homework/study/makeup work time, we also get out earlier, at 2.
On Thursdays we start at 8:40 and we have 2,4,6. We get a break, lunch, and the one hour to do our work.

I actually like this schedule because once I get to Tuesday I like to think I'm almost done with the week as I only have to take each class 2 more times. 2 years ago it used to be every class every single day and with that schedule I felt like the week was never going to end.

(Aus)
All these different lunches sounds so confusing! Secondary school (7-12) starts at 9.00 and ends at 3.25. We have 6 periods plus home room at the start of the day (10-20 minutes). HR, 1, 2, recess (20 min), 3, 4, lunch (40 min), 5, 6 home.
We all take lunch at the same time and it's either brought from home or the canteen. You're not allowed to leave for lunch or get food delivered to school (some cheeky older kids tried to deliver pizza to school, lol)

(Aus)
All these different lunches sounds so confusing! Secondary school (7-12) starts at 9.00 and ends at 3.25. We have 6 periods plus home room at the start of the day (10-20 minutes). HR, 1, 2, recess (20 min), 3, 4, lunch (40 min), 5, 6 home.
We all take lunch at the same time and it's either brought from home or the canteen. You're not allowed to leave for lunch or get food delivered to school (some cheeky older kids tried to deliver pizza to school, lol)

You guys are in school a LOT less per day that we are. I teach high school and we start at 7:10 and release at 2:50. The only non instructional time is a 25 min lunch. No home room or break. How many school days in the school year for you?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You guys are in school a LOT less per day that we are. I teach high school and we start at 7:10 and release at 2:50. The only non instructional time is a 25 min lunch. No home room or break. How many school days in the school year for you?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Im in the UK but we have a similar model. In UK we have 190 school days a year according to google. We have 3 terms with each having a half term holiday of a week.
So we get off 2 weeks for Christmas, 2 weeks for Easter and 6 weeks for summer plus 3 weeks worth of half term

. Nobody can go off campus for lunch and pretty much everybody just stands outside but if you're lucky enough you have a nice teacher that lets you just sit and eat in their classroom, which is what I do.

I can't imagine not being able to eat lunch in a teachers classroom. I know the other schools in my county had a pretty closed door policy but my school it was so common to each lunch in a teachers class. In fact some would dedicate their lunch period to have kids come in and catch up or get extra help. The math department basically made it impossible to fail because they have a system where if you fail a test, you can come in three times to study during lunch and then retake it.

And it was social too. My senior year especially, my friends and I always at lunch in my class advisors room. I know the art teacher's class was also a known place for people to eat lunch.

I know teachers need their break but I loved the open environment I had with my teachers, especially in HS. I think there is so much value in having time with a teacher outside of the classroom it fosters relationships and respect.

Back