All-Star New Tryout Procedures At Gyms

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

My gym ran a tryout similar to this one year. You tried out and were put in to select level groups strictly based on tumbling and general age ranges. You came in and tumbled and worked basic stunts with that group until teams were formed a month or two later. Those with no tumbling were place in a "prep" group, which eventually formed into level 1 and 2 teams.

It was successful I think, they had a decent season. But the allstar director left after that year and the incoming one just chose to run his tryouts differently.
My gym does something similar! We're divided into workout groups on age, tumbling and experience. The group works for the summer on tumbling and stunting and people get moved around in different positions and different groups and then when August comes around people are put on teams permanently. It's nice because people know their spot isn't secure and they need to prove that they want to be here and can keep their skills past the one day tryout so everyone's working hard. Plus it gives the coaches flexibility with stunting so they can put someone in a higher level even if they've never done the stunts and see how they do at that level but still be able to move them around if they aren't ready for the stunting, and they can figure out if they have the right groups or if they need to move people around to get stunts to work.

I really like the idea of the 'workout' groups, but not losing the $200 if you don't want to be on a prep team. Sounds almost like they're trying to blackmail people into staying where they don't want to be.

Back