High School New Uca Scoresheet & Deductions

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Feb 5, 2011
Opinions on the new information sent out yesterday? I am actually really excited for deductions. UCA has always harped on clean SOLID routines, but if you were at nationals last year, you would have never known it! In all of the divisions I watched, I saw teams attempting things way out of their skill level and dropping all over the place, yet still winning or placing really high. From someone who prefers all-star scoring, I'm so glad we are at least getting deductions! It also gives me the deduction free routine carrot I use for my all-star kids. IF only we could have a grid or range now!

Deductions - http://www.uca.varsity.com/docs/competition/1415/1415_PointDeductions.pdf

New Score Sheets - Universal Cheerleaders Association - Where America Cheers:: HomeJudging Sheets

I agree. I love the fact that half of the score for each element is dependent upon technique. BTW, did you know that Jomo Thompson was on the judging panel this year? I freaked out when the judging panel cut to him, he's definitely one of the best people to have judging UCA.

Performance used to be called execution and has been on the score sheets like this for years.

I like them a lot.

Now I wish we had a grid or at least an idea of where we fall in ranges. My partner stunt difficulty score was HIGHER at nationals then it was at a local comp that used UCA sheets and a lot of UCA regional/national judges, which truthfully I find ridiculous. Mind you we made no partner stunt changes in-between due to the lovely Philadelphia Area weather and the lack there of winter practice this past year.

Last edited:
I agree. I sometimes feel like UCA judges just ask "hey, what did you give them?" At local comps when I am reading my score sheets... Anything to make scoring less subjective it great!

I am not saying they need to drill down to a code of points that states a full up is worth 8.5 points... but an idea/combinations of skills that place you in a range, etc would be so amazing!!!! If I could know where that stands, it helps so much when maybe we don't place as high to explain to the team skills and why ours were not in the 8-9 range. The deductions help so much because we are typically clean and for the most part solid... so that helps!

I agree. I sometimes feel like UCA judges just ask "hey, what did you give them?" At local comps when I am reading my score sheets... Anything to make scoring less subjective it great!
Yesssss!!! Totally 1 million percent agree with u!'
This is less subjective!! Woot woot!

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

The problem is, it is the same score sheet (for the most part) just broken into 3 sheets. The positive are the deductions, the negative is that there still is no range.
Agree. There isn't any change except for the deductions. I'm happy about that however since we already have our routine done and 8 count sheets sent off!

UCA didn't have deductions at all?
It did for the usual things (SFs, SBs, TTs, bad synchronization, omitted skills, etc.).
No. UCA didn't have deductions. A drop or bust could effect your execution if the judges felt like it. There was no set point system. Some teams got points taken off, some didn't. Some judges took off points, some didn't. It really was a free for all.

No. UCA didn't have deductions. A drop or bust could effect your execution if the judges felt like it. There was no set point system. Some teams got points taken off, some didn't. Some judges took off points, some didn't. It really was a free for all.

That's crazy, because whenever I watched UCA the announcers would mention that a stunt fall (for example) would hurt the team.... yikes, no wonder people don't take cheer seriously. There had to have been favoritism shown toward big-name schools.

Wow. I'm thinking of the episode of Cheerleader Nation in which Dunbar had a bad stunt fall but still won KAPOS state.... now I LOVE Dunbar and the show didn't play the other teams' routines, so maybe the 2nd place team lacked difficulty or had more stunt falls than PLD? But what if they didn't? I've heard sketchy things about scoring but this just tore a wall down for me.

Last edited:
That's crazy, because whenever I watched UCA the announcers would mention that a stunt fall (for example) would hurt the team.... yikes, no wonder people don't take cheer seriously. There had to have been favoritism shown toward big-name schools.

Wow. I'm thinking of the episode of Cheerleader Nation in which Dunbar had a bad stunt fall but still won KAPOS state.... now I LOVE Dunbar and the show didn't play the other teams' routines, so maybe the 2nd place team lacked difficulty or had more stunt falls than PLD? But what if they didn't? I've heard sketchy things about scoring but this just tore a wall down for me.
There is/has been a set deduction for out of bounds. Some years are better than others. Some panels better than others. A fall in theory can hurt the team, if and how much is up to the judges. No place to take points off other than lowering execution. There is always talk that well known teams have an advantage or disadvantage. I've heard more comments over the years than I care to remember. It's subjective, so not much you can do.

Back