All-Star New Worlds Venue Ideas

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Here is what I posted in a thread some time ago.

Everyone needs to think of it logistically. And from a few angles.... If you can think of something that would meet all of this criteria and then some, please let us know... and the USASF/IASF. So you all might not like the price of the competition, but it makes sense from a lot of angles AND i think the majority of people have a great time.

First, worlds is the most prestigious competition of the season (or so thats what they want you to think)
So you need a great venue to give that atmosphere.
Next you need a family environment. That is what cheerleading is about. Every competition says the routine needs to be suitable for family viewing. And you need something for people to do while not at the competition. It isn't about sitting there and watching every team for a lot of families
Next you need hotels that are convenient to the venue and you need to provide transportation to and from the venue to the hotel. also you need to house a large number of people. With disney you are dealing with one group to book hotels. If you go to individual hotels, then you have different prices for each hotel and limited space.
Next you need transportation to and from the airport to the hotel. (disney takes care of this so its one less thing iasf needs to worry about)
Some place to hold the block party that children can go to without their parents (who is going to let their child walk down the strip in vegas at 11pm)
It needs to be a place that people will got on a plane for over 12 hours to come to. Atlanta and Dallas really aren't that appealing for foreign visitors.
It needs to have good weather... if there is the posibility of bad weather, then you have to deal with people not being able to make it.
Agree with all of this. Which is why I believe Disney is the best location.

And to follow up on my "Worlds would lose international competition if it was moved" argument, look at it this way. Disney basically plans the international teams trips for them. They have transportation, outside entertainment, a meal plan, family environments, the awesome weather, everyone staying in close proximity, the list goes on. You can't tell me they would have that same luxury if they moved Worlds to a random big city. They would be absolutely LOST trying to plan a week in Dallas from 30942098 miles away. I'm sure there would be packages and all, but not near the same convince level and simplicity that Disney offers. Not saying it can't be done, but it would be a million times more difficult, leading to a lot of them choosing not to make the trip.

NYC is absolutely not an option. Could you imagine a team full of non-english speaking international competitors trying to find their way along a NYC subway? haha

And to follow up on my "Worlds would lose international competition if it was moved" argument, look at it this way. Disney basically plans the international teams trips for them. They have transportation, outside entertainment, a meal plan, family environments, the awesome weather, everyone staying in close proximity, the list goes on. You can't tell me they would have that same luxury if they moved Worlds to a random big city. They would be absolutely LOST trying to plan a week in Dallas from 30942098 miles away. Not saying it can't be done, but it would be a million times more difficult, leading to a lot of them choosing not to make the trip.
Amen.

I want to make a wiki with all of our points. Because until a SINGLE LOCATION can meet all of the above requirements, worlds will not move.

Personally i like going to the sunny state!
Its always been fun for me and ive gone for several years straight.
Its just relaxing and there's lots of rooms at the resorts.
If any where else, i think it should be in California!! somewhere where you can get lots of sun and it be a fun place to be with all your friends!! :)
Thats my opinion.

And to follow up on my "Worlds would lose international competition if it was moved" argument, look at it this way. Disney basically plans the international teams trips for them. They have transportation, outside entertainment, a meal plan, family environments, the awesome weather, everyone staying in close proximity, the list goes on. You can't tell me they would have that same luxury if they moved Worlds to a random big city. They would be absolutely LOST trying to plan a week in Dallas from 30942098 miles away. I'm sure there would be packages and all, but not near the same convince level and simplicity that Disney offers. Not saying it can't be done, but it would be a million times more difficult, leading to a lot of them choosing not to make the trip.

NYC is absolutely not an option. Could you imagine a team full of non-english speaking international competitors trying to find their way along a NYC subway? haha

Yes! you proved it right there.
Disney is the best place! and i like what you said about the kids going places without there parents. Cause im a teenager, but i dont think my mom would allow me to be walking around NY with my friends. thats just asking for trouble.
I like this! shimmy 1000 times!!:)

Here is what I posted in a thread some time ago.

Everyone needs to think of it logistically. And from a few angles.... If you can think of something that would meet all of this criteria and then some, please let us know... and the USASF/IASF. So you all might not like the price of the competition, but it makes sense from a lot of angles AND i think the majority of people have a great time.

First, worlds is the most prestigious competition of the season (or so thats what they want you to think)
So you need a great venue to give that atmosphere.
Next you need a family environment. That is what cheerleading is about. Every competition says the routine needs to be suitable for family viewing. And you need something for people to do while not at the competition. It isn't about sitting there and watching every team for a lot of families
Next you need hotels that are convenient to the venue and you need to provide transportation to and from the venue to the hotel. also you need to house a large number of people. With disney you are dealing with one group to book hotels. If you go to individual hotels, then you have different prices for each hotel and limited space.
Next you need transportation to and from the airport to the hotel. (disney takes care of this so its one less thing iasf needs to worry about)
Some place to hold the block party that children can go to without their parents (who is going to let their child walk down the strip in vegas at 11pm)
It needs to be a place that people will got on a plane for over 12 hours to come to. Atlanta and Dallas really aren't that appealing for foreign visitors.
It needs to have good weather... if there is the posibility of bad weather, then you have to deal with people not being able to make it.

I posted about this earlier, but on the wrond one!
Disney is the best place! and i like what you said about the kids going places without there parents. Cause im a teenager, but i dont think my mom would allow me to be walking around NY with my friends. thats just asking for trouble. And the family enviroment, its needs to be appropiate for all ages. And i love how its so relaxed and easy going. its also easy to communicate with everybody becasue the resorts are close. And if it gets boring then dont do hte same things! haha, i love it being at disney, because its really fun and you get to kind of do whatever you want.
I like this! shimmy 1000 times!!:):):)

Orlando has a brand new state of the art arena that would be a perfect venue. The Amway Center can fit upwards of 15k people. It's centrally located. You can still probably use Disney lodging if thats an issue. Yes teams would have to provide there own transportation to and from the venue, but it would probably still end up being cheaper than what it is now. (I can only speculate on cost as I have never taken a team to Worlds. YET!!) :D

oh, and what i forgot about Disneyland in Cali.
well i haven't been to disneyworld in Florida. but here when they send us to Grad Night they put on dance floors. so no need for a block party! the dance floors are in the performance area in the park and every performance area has different music. <3 :) located around the park! :)

Orlando has a brand new state of the art arena that would be a perfect venue. The Amway Center can fit upwards of 15k people. It's centrally located. You can still probably use Disney lodging if thats an issue. Yes teams would have to provide there own transportation to and from the venue, but it would probably still end up being cheaper than what it is now. (I can only speculate on cost as I have never taken a team to Worlds. YET!!) :D
So the 100s of international teams are going to have to try to figure that out? That is an issue.

Like I said above... unless they find a place that can accommodate EVERY aspect of my list, i dont think it will move.

so everyone knows...

California weather is typically nice. In april its certainly not 10000 degrees like florida but you dont have to wear a jacket
Disneyland in california would be able to host a block party type of event
Downtown Disney is there and obviously free to walk around at
California Adventure would probably be able to host a block party type of event as well.

All the surrounding area hotels have Disney Packages because...people go to anaheim, for Disney. Most hotels have transportation as well. So sure i can agree with the event being AROUND disney, however having the actual event AT disney clearly isnt working as its been stated before.

There are also 4 major airports near anaheim to fly into.

First, worlds is the most prestigious competition of the season (or so thats what they want you to think) So you need a great venue to give that atmosphere.

Is Disney a "great venue"? It's a great location, sure, but are the facilities that they're using to actually hold the events up to standard? Think about the cheerleading Worlds in a large arena and the type of presentation and setup you could have there as opposed to the Milkhouse. I bet it would look and feel even more "big time" than it does today.

A family environment does not just equal Disney. Again, a big arena, ideally with an attached convention center, would provide you the space to provide "family-friendly" things to do. Believe me, if you said that tens of thousands of people were coming to your city, the arena and the city would make sure that those people were well taken care of. I mean, how do other really big competitions, like Cheersport or Jamfest Indy or NCA, handle these types of situations?

Most major cities have ample hotel space within a reasonable distance of a major arena or convention center. Obviously, someplace like Disney is *better* for that, but it's not as big a drawback as you think. It's not as if the cheerleading worlds is so big that it dwarfs other conventions and major events that come into a city.

That is a legitimate benefit. But again, I've been to many large conventions where the event producers take care of that for you. And keep in mind, while that's being taken care of by Disney, it ain't free. You just don't see it as a separate charge.

Security is what you make of it. There is no reason why you couldn't have a safe event in another facility other than Disney.

I still think this is somewhat overrated. It's the World championships of the sport. If teams are really serious about competing at the World championships, they'll attend no matter where it is. If they perceive it as a vacation primarily, then maybe they won't. In the long run, that might actually be a net positive.

I'm not sure I understand this. The issue isn't the weather at the location, it's the weather where you are when it's time to travel. If there's a snowstorm in Newark, it doesn't matter whether the competition is in Orlando, Dallas or China. You ain't getting out. There are other benefits to good weather, mind you, but travel in late-April is always going to be something of a roll of the dice no matter where you hold the event.

I'm not saying that Disney isn't the most convenient destination, because it is. I'm saying that it isn't the ONLY destination, and you could argue that in some ways, the growth of the event (and to a lesser degree, the sport) will be hurt by continuing to have the competition there if the event has outgrown the facilities.

As much as I would love it to be at MSG, cause I could just take the train in everyday :) , I don't think it's realistic. If you think Disney is expensive, you haven't' seen anything yet! Just food alone would be crazy expensive. Not to mention hotels ect.

Though, I do agree that there's great shopping, the high tax rate is annoying.

True!!! Lol maybe I just need to convince my gym to go to a NYC comp! (if they have them there lol)

I'm not going to quote the above post because it will make this too big. And I understand you there. But as much as we say that it's only about worlds, how many people come to worlds and stay for 4+ days? I think a large # of people.

Also a convention center wouldn't really work, it would just turn into multiple Josten's. It needs to be some sort of arena.

As for family environment, I meant several things. First entertainment. Many kids are coming for 4-5 days, not just for the 2 days of the competition. Maybe they only come longer because it is at Disney, but i would say that is a big positive for many people. Next security, yes its what you make of it, but i think the majority of kids at national comps are with their parents or small groups. For worlds, you get a paid bid and you are staying with your team, not with your family. Individuals are allowed to visit other hotels (within the same resort) and see their friends. Worlds is very much about the social aspect too.

(what i am saying isn't solely about logic, but also about what people want the experience to be)

As for your other conventions being bigger and handling it, it is very true. However, how many conventions are targeting kids and have gigantic groups of them traveling. Most conventions are geared towards adults who are capable of dealing with this. And while yes, their are coaches, I think disney is easy enough for the athletes.

I think Disney being the most magical place on earth, also gives off the "safest place on earth" vibe. Many athletes will go back to the competition and watch themselves. And no one is worried about them. When you go to cheersport and other competitions, how many coaches allow their athletes to just go out on their own?

Sorry this is a mess. I'm at work and scatter brained.

Anaheim looks better to me the more and more people post :)

You've got a better venue than disney with an arena and halls attached.
You've got Disney and the family environment
You've got plenty of Convenient hotels that most provide transportation
You've got good weather

for those that want to stay longer:
LA, melrose, beverly hills, etc
close beaches
knotts berry farm

Sounds great to me!

I agree that the venue is becoming a bit small.
but when choosing a new location we should keep in mind that it's worlds, so i needs to stay attractive to everyone, also internationally.
therefor i think orlando is great. i know alot of other teams that do the same: they link worlds to their vacation.
after spending over $1000 on airplane tickets and flying over 15 hours to get there, many internationals prefer to stay a little longer than 2 days. florida has alot to offer nearby besides disney.

new york would be a nice alternative, although i can imagine family with smaller kids will feel less comfortable in a big city than in a holiday resort.

Back