Newest Newbie

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jun 25, 2013
OK here is my first post. I'm a cheer mom of a rising high school senior. She is a level 5 tumbler and flyer with over a 4.0 gpa (weighted) and a 2100 SAT. We are looking for ideas about where she should go to college.

There are a couple major things to consider when looking at schools. In the college decision, school and academics should always come first with cheerleading coming second.

What does she want to major in?

What area of the country does she want to be in?

Does she want a large or a small school?

Does she like the flashy/all star style or traditional/crowd focused style of cheer?

There are a couple major things to consider when looking at schools. In the college decision, school and academics should always come first with cheerleading coming second.

What does she want to major in?

What area of the country does she want to be in?

Does she want a large or a small school?

Does she like the flashy/all star style or traditional/crowd focused style of cheer?

Hi and thanks! She is thinking Biology or Pre-Med. She wants a school that has a good academic reputation and a great sports program in a place with lots of sunshine days. She thinks she prefers a co-ed team that competes UCA, but is open. We are also looking into Acro.

The education she gets is far more important long term than what kind of cheer she can do. I know that if she has worked hard enough and long enough to become a level 5 athlete, she has a love of the sport, and I understand that cheering is important to her. However, cheerleading is not her career choice. With her success she has had in academics, your daughter has a bright future ahead of her in areas other than cheer. I'm not saying that she should give it up just yet, but the choice of college and the quality of their academic program is of paramount importance to her future and not something that should come in second to cheer. That being said, I hope she finds a school that can provide great academics and a great cheer experience, too! I would suggest UNC as a possible choice if she wants to go into medicine. They have a great medical program and an excellent cheerleading opportunity.
Congratulations on having such an intelligent, athletic girl! Good luck to her in her endeavors!

I can only speak for VA schools, but VA Tech has a quality cheerleading program (both gameday and competitive) and a pre-med track. VCU has the Medical College of VA which is a great program I hear, and a cheerleading program. Granted it's no Louisville, but they do compete and cheer basketball (there is no football team)

Back