Noone Talks To Me?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Apr 26, 2015
ive been doing cheer for many years now and i am a quiet person , until i get to know somebody, i have loads of friends in school but in cheer none.i really enjoy the sport but i find it hard to talk to people especially how everyone already knew it each other from school and past seasons , and even when they were having conversations i had nothing to say because i wasn't there or i don't go to the same school as them or i dont know the person they are talking about and i am scared to just join in their conversations and things because theyd might be really confused and think why is she talking to me or something. no one ever comes up to me and starts talking to me and im scared to go up to other people and start talking to them it just sucks..i really want to make friends, i just feel like they think i am loser some people just stare at me then look away... maybe i come across as weird and unfriendly ? i dunno . its a new season and i really want to make new friends on my new team this year , also im scared to go to open gyms and things because i dont know anybody so its hard for me to progress my tumbling because im shy and scared to ask for a spotter.

ive been doing cheer for many years now and i am a quiet person , until i get to know somebody, i have loads of friends in school but in cheer none.i really enjoy the sport but i find it hard to talk to people especially how everyone already knew it each other from school and past seasons , and even when they were having conversations i had nothing to say because i wasn't there or i don't go to the same school as them or i dont know the person they are talking about and i am scared to just join in their conversations and things because theyd might be really confused and think why is she talking to me or something. no one ever comes up to me and starts talking to me and im scared to go up to other people and start talking to them it just sucks..i really want to make friends, i just feel like they think i am loser some people just stare at me then look away... maybe i come across as weird and unfriendly ? i dunno . its a new season and i really want to make new friends on my new team this year , also im scared to go to open gyms and things because i dont know anybody so its hard for me to progress my tumbling because im shy and scared to ask for a spotter.
Bumping because I feel like a lot of people can help with this.

And if it makes you feel any better, I am a lot like you. :)

I think everyone assumes that all cheerleaders are peppy and outgoing with great social skills and tons of friends. Truth is, there are lots of personalities just like in the general population.

It is rough to be the outsider in a group where everyone else seems to have a friends. You will probably have to put yourself out there a bit. You might try to approach one of the girls who is alone. It is easier than walking up to a group. Maybe try to make friends with someone in your stunt group or another girl that is the same position as you--ask her how she does something that you are unsure about. Most people love to give advice/help.

I had to stop a second because I thought my daughter wrote this post!
All I can say is try to find someone on the team or in your stunt group that seems also not part of the cliques and start an easy conversation - compliment her new bow maybe and see if you can get more than a "thanks".

I had to stop a second because I thought my daughter wrote this post!
All I can say is try to find someone on the team or in your stunt group that seems also not part of the cliques and start an easy conversation - compliment her new bow maybe and see if you can get more than a "thanks".
Hey I know you! Well your daughter, at least! I miss being on the same team as her!!! If you don't know me PM me :) welcome to the boards!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My daughter had the same problem. Start out trying to make friends with just one of the girls. I promise you that you are probably not the only one on the squad that feels that way. Good luck!!

As others have suggested, work on making connections one team member at a time. Also, confidence can build over time, as do friendships, so think about taking small steps and setting small daily goals, such as "smile at three teammates today," "say hi to two new people today." or "say nice job to three teammates," and "talk to one teammate today." Also think about asking teammates for help, or support, or even to clarify what the coaches have asked, in order to start up conversations. While you may not feel confident or comfortable, try to project that. Also, rather than being in your head about what people might think, try to listen to what others are saying so that you might find ways to join in the conversation. Hang in there!

Trust me I've been in the same situation you're in now. What I did to help get me to talk to my teammates was to introduce myself, ask them questions and telling them I like their bow/practice wear. It helps a lot. Good luck :)

Back