North Carolina Middle Schools Can't Toss?!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Mar 8, 2012
In the Allstar world, baskets and skills in basket are allowed in certain levels. Basically level 2 on up. In North Carolina, middle school cheerleaders are not allowed to do basket tosses. I think this is just a dumb idea. Safety first. these athletes are expected to perform skills in high school. So why not have them be limited to skill sets in middle school. I honestly dont see why level 2 toss rules do not apply for them. So that they are getting the experience in, especially if they are not part of an allstar team. When this rule was changed. I thought it was for all middle schools but then I saw some teams from out of state. Does anyone agree? disagree? lets dialog.

In the Allstar world, baskets and skills in basket are allowed in certain levels. Basically level 2 on up. In North Carolina, middle school cheerleaders are not allowed to do basket tosses. I think this is just a dumb idea. Safety first. these athletes are expected to perform skills in high school. So why not have them be limited to skill sets in middle school. I honestly dont see why level 2 toss rules do not apply for them. So that they are getting the experience in, especially if they are not part of an allstar team. When this rule was changed. I thought it was for all middle schools but then I saw some teams from out of state. Does anyone agree? disagree? lets dialog.
I could swear I've seen ledford throw kick fulls

In Maine middle schools are not allowed to throw baskets either. If they do not compete all star it is going to be really annoying for the coaches to have to teach them baskets when they reach high school, since by then you should be easily able to throw a kick single...I really can understand limiting the tosses to similar skills allowed in level 2 or even 3, but it is not the best idea to get rid of them all together.

i cheered at durant middle school in 2010. we always won first but always got deducted on baskets for technique. I remember doing kick fulls but three out of five weren't good. Me and the other flyer learned from an allstar gym. I cheer at elite cheer and dance also and you really have to learn from an allstar gym to get the RIGHT technique not just throwing it for difficulty. You'll have time to learn how to do a basket in highschool. you dont have to know how to do one for highschool tryouts but if you are eager to learn just take stunting classes at an allstar gym. kinda like tumble classes but just stunting and they'll teach you if you want to learn any position

we have had so many girls at my middle school get hurt doing alot more simple things than baskets. Its bad for the schools who have good coaches and can teach them to do it earlier than highschool but some places just dont have it. At my school the coaches I dont think have ever even cheered. So for schools like that it is good but sad for schools who can do it safely.

Middle schools in VA have never been allowed to throw baskets. They also aren't allowed to stunt above prep level or throw any skill higher than a BHS. I think it was an excellent idea to ban them for the exact reason Kellz said. They are always taught incorrectly and thrown just for difficulty points. It's just like you said yourself, safety first, and nothing about middle school cheering screams a safe environment to propel each other 20+ feet in the air. Most schools coach is the math teacher, not someone at all qualified to teach dangerous skills like that

Baskets at middle school/junior high have been prohibited by AACCA for several years now (nationwide set of rules that are standard and should be followed by everyone). A good high school coach should have no problem teaching high school athletes any skill, including complex baskets, using proper progressions, even if the athletes have absolutely no prior cheer experience.

We get cheer folks mad all the time. I just finished 5 years as a MS principal in NC and our county doesn't allow any stunting at all. Tumble at your own risk if you have the skills, but coaches can't coach that either. And with good reason....we have no mats in any middle school in the county and I doubt there are any certified coaches. Usually you're grabbing whatever overworked teacher doesn't mind being the coach and that's the extent of their training. It is not safe to stunt or tumble because we didn't have the equipment and not a single coach that had any technical knowledge of tumbling or stunting.

Even with that we have more Suzy moms that think we're all ridiculous for not allowing Suzy to show her amazing skills to all her BFFs at a basketball game....on a hardwood floor...with teammates who have zero experience...and a coach with no training...yet we are unreasonable.

Even with that we have more Suzy moms that think we're all ridiculous for not allowing Suzy to show her amazing skills to all her BFFs at a basketball game....on a hardwood floor...with teammates who have zero experience...and a coach with no training...yet we are unreasonable.

Of course we don't know what's best in a school setting! We teachers and principals with our Masters Degrees and PhDs don't know a damn thing about child development, how the brain acquires, processes, retains and retrieves information. We also don't know a damn thing about education law, or risk management and liability in an institutional setting.

Of course we don't know what's best in a school setting! We teachers and principals with our Masters Degrees and PhDs don't know a damn thing about child development, how the brain acquires, processes, retains and retrieves information. We also don't know a damn thing about education law, or risk management and liability in an institutional setting.
Precisely. Especially as it relates to Suzy's mom and the fact her child is also not dead front center for....basically...everything. I had a parent argue with me one time (they have a formidable opponent in me since both my kids are Allstar cheerleaders) that Suzy HAD to have sideline cheer experience (even though her child is an emerging level 5 Allstar) because colleges have to see that they have experience in both kinds of cheer to get any notice or a scholarship.

What?

You mean to tell me that a girl who competed at worlds, has a whip through to full and can stunt elite level 5 as a base all day long won't be considered because they're not sure those skills will translate to clapping on the sidelines?

Right. More like, Suzy must be the most popular girl in school and therefore must be cheer captain to attain said status (which was the point of the hour long meeting - Suzy wasn't captain). What I didn't say..and couldn't..was that captains used to be picked by score at try outs and weren't that year..because the high scores the year before we're great cheerleaders but not good "team leaders." they were upset by that because Suzy clearly would've had the high score and therefore wouldve been captain...actually.....Suzy barely made the team because for all her awesome skills, she walked into tryouts like it was in the bag and to this day doesn't know she almost didn't make the team at all.

And all for a middle school team where they can't stunt or tumble.

When I was in middle school, at West Millbrook Middle School in Raleigh, North Carolina, our squad threw baskets.. at games and in competition (my 7th grade year they placed 1st in the county).. I guess the rules have changed? Toe baskets were really common when I was in middle school.

Back