High School Not Approving Cheer

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Oct 27, 2014
My parents hid everything I use for cheer conditioning. They said they will give it back if I don't do cheer. I hate the fact that they won't look at the sport. They say cheerleading is for girls not for boys. I guess they think of a teenage drama where the cheerleaders are mean girls and they just date any boys they see. I still go to the practices and girls at my school help me out because they really want a male cheerleader. I think they are being stubborn and need to accept the fact that I'm gonna cheer no matter what. They got furious when I said I'm trying out for Allstar cheer in 10th grade. They said they won't help fund anything. If I need to get to anywhere they won't take me. You guys have any solutions?

My parents never approved of cheer and I am a girl ;) 11 years later, can't say their opinion has changed anything ;)

I brought them to see me though, and that made a difference. I sent videos of competitions too.

How old are you? I am from Quebec so 10th grade doesn't ring a bell in my head since it doesn't exist here. But I'm pretty sure you are around what, 16?

I think you need to prove them wrong on what they think, but in a polite way. Take them to a gym, or arrange a meeting with a college male cheerleader, show videos... show them what it's all about and what you love about it.

My parents never approved of cheer and I am a girl ;) 11 years later, can't say their opinion has changed anything ;)

I brought them to see me though, and that made a difference. I sent videos of competitions too.

How old are you? I am from Quebec so 10th grade doesn't ring a bell in my head since it doesn't exist here. But I'm pretty sure you are around what, 16?

I think you need to prove them wrong on what they think, but in a polite way. Take them to a gym, or arrange a meeting with a college male cheerleader, show videos... show them what it's all about and what you love about it.
I'm 13....turn 14 on Monday

Dang you're a young 10th grader.

But I agree with the above poster. Take them to an open gym or show them videos of some coed teams like Wildcats, TGLC, Louisville, Navarro, etc to show them examples.

He said he's trying out in 10th grade. I bet he's in 8th grade now.

My parents hid everything I use for cheer conditioning. They said they will give it back if I don't do cheer. I hate the fact that they won't look at the sport. They say cheerleading is for girls not for boys. I guess they think of a teenage drama where the cheerleaders are mean girls and they just date any boys they see. I still go to the practices and girls at my school help me out because they really want a male cheerleader. I think they are being stubborn and need to accept the fact that I'm gonna cheer no matter what. They got furious when I said I'm trying out for Allstar cheer in 10th grade. They said they won't help fund anything. If I need to get to anywhere they won't take me. You guys have any solutions?
I'm sorry but your parents are being incredibly judgmental... show them videos of Graves County, Dyer County, Sparkman and Blackman. I feel awful for you, and unfortunately many kids (especially guys) that want to cheer are in your same situation. Good luck, dude.

@ACEDAD @SharkDad @Cheer Dad Y'all got any solutions?

Last edited:
I tried telling them why I like it. Whenever I cheer I'm so happy. Happier then I ever been. I put all my effort in it but they won't feel the same way. Other adults go crazy and say I'm coming to your competition. My parents are like I wouldn't come even if they bought me the world. I practice all the time and observe other male Cheerleaders so I can make goals for myself. I told them I'm gonna cheer and I'm gonna enjoy every second of it.

I tried telling them why I like it. Whenever I cheer I'm so happy. Happier then I ever been. I put all my effort in it but they won't feel the same way. Other adults go crazy and say I'm coming to your competition. My parents are like I wouldn't come even if they bought me the world. I practice all the time and observe other male Cheerleaders so I can make goals for myself. I told them I'm gonna cheer and I'm gonna enjoy every second of it.
I admire your determination. And even though your parents don't support you, we on Fierceboard do! Good luck!

I think possibly having them talk to some male cheerleaders from local Allstar gyms might be helpful. I also agree with showing them videos of some of the top colleges or Allstar teams and specifically pointing out how strong the make cheerleaders must be to partner stunt, tumble, etc. Do they also realize that there are several male college cheerleaders who used to play football but for whatever reason (quite often injuries) they switch to cheer? I am concerned that your parents may think cheerleading is not masculine enough but most Americans think football players are the manliest men around, so if a "manly" football player decides to cheer does that make him less of a man? Not my eyes! I am so sorry you are dealing with this. I hope that you are able to surround yourself with people who believe in you and support your goals. I am certainly not telling you to be disrespectful to your parents, but continue to try to educate them the best you can. Good luck and keep us posted!

The first thing you need to keep in mind is that your parents may never approve and support you on this and if that is the case I am truly sorry. On the upside their are some wonderful kids and parents involved in cheer that will be there for you in some capacity.

Based on reactions when cp started doing rec many years ago I will take a guess that your parents, mainly dad, may be afraid of you being gay for liking what is now considered a woman's sport. For some that fear may never go away even though that is not how it works.

I agree with trying to get them to watch some videos of Navarro, Louisville, Kentucky, TGLC, BSB to see the roles the guys play in this. Also, look for videos from Stuntfest this weekend from the college NCA in Daytona this weekend. One thing cp always told people is look at all the beautiful ladies I get to hang out with. It did quiet a lot of them down.

Do a little research on the history of cheer as well. A lot of people are shocked to learn that sideline cheer was originally created by men and dominated by them for many years before women started. Lots of famous men have participated in cheer over the years.

**Sometimes I ask questions I already know the answer to so I feel smart answering them**

Not to derail the thread but @KPep how is "8th grade" so different from "grade 8"? I watched Degrassi, it all seemed relatively the same.:D

Degrassi doesn't take place in Quebec, Canada.

Elementary school stops at Grad 6th, then it's secondary 1 to 5. You get out of secondary at age 17. Then you have what is called CEGEP for two or 3 years or you can choose a professional program. CEGEP gets you ready for University. Seems complicated but it's simple really.

Back