All-Star Not Flying Anymore?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Here's the thing I always tell kids/moms about flying.

Everyone and their parent is very quick to assert "All she's ever done is fly." 0r "I've only ever been a flyer" as if that means they HAVE to remain one because it's all they've ever done.

Prior to college, I worked fast food and waitressed. Those were the only jobs I'd ever had.

What if all my life, I said "Well, all I've ever done is waitress?"

If you focus on what you've always done, you will never grow.

Last edited:

Everyone and their parent is very quick to assert "All she's ever done is fly." 0r "I've only ever been a flyer" as if that means they HAVE to remain one because it's all they've ever done.

Prior to college, I worked fast food and waitressed. Those were the only jobs I'd ever had.

This is a great post and so true. I hear it all the time but I also see kids (including my own) who are never given the opportunity to try other roles -- even when they want to.

I hope my CP is given the opportunity to base/back soon. As much as she loves to fly I think she will be on the ground soon. She had grown so much in the past year and continues to grow. Unfortunately she has never been given the chance to base/back but rather removed from the teams where she was too big to fly (first youth and now junior teams) Now at 11 she is on senior teams and once she is too big to fly there I hope she ends up with coaches who are willing to take the time to teach her rather than get rid of her. I know it happens but I can't imagine it's easy to learn to base/back on level 4 and 5 teams.

Wow thanks so much for this response! I had never thought about it that way. I'm glad I get to have a chance to base and become a better athlete, and I still may end up flying again in the future. Thanks for getting me back into the right mindset!

I am usually a flyer but this year I'm a base and it is really disappointing because I love flying and I know that I won't ever get to fly again. I am really flexible and have good body positions but I don't know if I should just give up on stretching for body positions since I am a base now.

What do you think I should do? Should I keep stretching and try to be a flyer again?
It's certainly understandable to feel disappointment when you prepare to go down one path, and suddenly learn that now you may be going down a different path. Luckily that's all it is: a different path. You still have your health, your team, and your flexibility. Definitely keep stretching regardless of what this, or any future season holds. Flexibility is important for all positions. Not all flyers would be given a chance to base either; they'd be told to nugget, or they'd be told they're going to a different team (or cut altogether in some programs). So that says a lot about your coach's faith in you! :)

This is a great post and so true. I hear it all the time but I also see kids (including my own) who are never given the opportunity to try other roles -- even when they want to.

I hope my CP is given the opportunity to base/back soon. As much as she loves to fly I think she will be on the ground soon. She had grown so much in the past year and continues to grow. Unfortunately she has never been given the chance to base/back but rather removed from the teams where she was too big to fly (first youth and now junior teams) Now at 11 she is on senior teams and once she is too big to fly there I hope she ends up with coaches who are willing to take the time to teach her rather than get rid of her. I know it happens but I can't imagine it's easy to learn to base/back on level 4 and 5 teams.

It can be done though. CP was a base (side base) for the first time last year on a Y4 team. She was a crossover and was a flyer on a SR5. She welcomed the opportunity to learn how to base and it turned out to be a very valuable experience for her. It helped her to be a better flyer and it allowed her to help her flyer in many ways. They also won Summit!! She loved that team for so many reasons.

It can be done though. CP was a base (side base) for the first time last year on a Y4 team. She was a crossover and was a flyer on a SR5. She welcomed the opportunity to learn how to base and it turned out to be a very valuable experience for her. It helped her to be a better flyer and it allowed her to help her flyer in many ways. They also won Summit!! She loved that team for so many reasons.

I'm glad it worked out for your CP and she got that experience on an age appropriate team. It's only going to make her a stronger cheerleader.

Back