OT Not Using Social Media

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Dec 18, 2009
I've come across a few gyms trending to not allow their athletes to use social media till worlds.

What's everyone's thoughts on this?!

I've come across a few gyms trending to not allow their athletes to use social media till worlds.

What's everyone's thoughts on this?!
It's never too soon. Especially considering the events that have transpired this season.

I can understand it from a certain viewpoint, but I think it's a little weird as well. Cheerleading isn't everything. Your life doesn't only happen in the gym. I obvi don't think it's necessary to have any social media accounts, but they're a great way to stay in contact with friends and family, talk about/observe current events and lots of other stuff. I think it would be a better idea to try and reform the way your athletes are viewing and using social media.

If you have a social media policy and enforce it then you wouldn't need this rule. Social media is a lifestyle - I don't see how this can possibly be effective/enforced and any social media banning is likely either non-productive or counter-productive. Susie Superstar will find a way around it and when there are no repercussions for her violating the rules you will only succeed in pissing the rest of the team off.

If you have a social media policy and enforce it then you wouldn't need this rule. Social media is a lifestyle - I don't see how this can possibly be effective/enforced and any social media banning is likely either non-productive or counter-productive. Susie Superstar will find a way around it and when there are no repercussions for her violating the rules you will only succeed in pissing the rest of the team off.
^^^^^ Drops mic and walks off stage #boom

*My tolerance for stupidity is steadily dwindling**

We kinda had an unwritten policy - no negative comments that would represent your gym poorly.

I can only see a gym enforcing that type of rule but to ban them from social media is extreme. There is life outside the cheer world.

We have a social media policy and if anything is posted that could reflect negatively on the gym we risk our spot on the team. It seems to keep people in check pretty well. I think there was a minor issue (hence the warning instead of removal from the team) over the summer but after the team ran and conditioned for the majority of their practice everyone understood that the social media thing is not a joke.
If people are never punished for what they put online but are told "this could affect your future," very few will listen. But if affects them (or someone else) now, they'll learn to be smart about it. Make rules and enforce them, it's not rocket science. Plus once you enforce the rule a few times, it'll stop being an issue :) There's nothing wrong with using social media and I think it's silly to ban it completely - make them use it responsibly and it's a non issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If your team is seeing a lot of negativity or being hassled via social media but gym policy doesn't allow you to respond, the ban might be welcomed by the team (or athletes involved). That way it's completely out of their hands and they don't have to justify their absence on social media.

It would be more beneficial to keep the athletes accountable when their emotions get the best of them and they think it's a great idea to subtweet/start fights. Instead of banning them from social media, just make it clear that there will be consequences if they choose to act out.

I
It would be more beneficial to keep the athletes accountable when their emotions get the best of them and they think it's a great idea to subtweet/start fights. Instead of banning them from social media, just make it clear that there will be consequences if they choose to act out.
I agree that the key is to hold athletes accountable for what they say on social media. The real question is how ? I don't believe the coaches can moniter the athletes adequately as we approach Worlds. To get a handle on things we would need a social media police force the size of Homeland Security, only smarter. Then there is the question of sanctions. No matter the violation, Coaches are not going to want to sanction an athlete. That would be cheer suicide for them.

So, who has some good suggestions about how the athletes social media can best be
controlled ? Be specific. Don't say general things like have the coaches tell the athletes what they can and can't do? Think about the monitoring and enforcement aspect, how should that be handled ? Without that part control will not be regained. What about sensitivity training ? Should that be mandatory? Or, should we all just lighten up and let kids be kids ? Maybe leave each program with guidelines but let them employ there own methodss ? What if sanctions got handed down to the programs when one of their athletes acted poorly? Who would make those decisions ? I'm interested in seeing what everyone thinks on this subject. Can we invoke change and regain integrity on social media? Or, was it never lost ? What's your opinion?

Parents should monitor their children on social media. I KNOW that issues will still come up (I've lived it). I wish PARENTS would better control themselves on social media, though...without that, there's no real hope for children to learn self editing.

With California All Stars I believe that the Blackout was self imposed by the athletes. Encouraged by the program but the athletes chose to do it. There are even non Worlds athletes on a variety of teams at Calli that are participating in the Blackout.

As for accountability, how do you envision that taking place ? I can't imagine the coach of a Worlds team being very willing to kick an athlete off the team with so much at stake. Especially so close to Worlds. What do you think ?

As for accountability, how do you envision that taking place ? I can't imagine the coach of a Worlds team being very willing to kick an athlete off the team with so much at stake. Especially so close to Worlds. What do you think ?

But without doing something like that, kids won't realize the seriousness of it, IMO. I coach hs field hockey and at our preseason meeting we tell them that I will be following them on social media, and if anything is deemed inappropriate (i.e. Poor sportsmanship, anything related to drugs, alcohol, etc, or bullying) we will bench them for a week, meaning they'd miss three practices and two games. Well two years ago one of the senior star athletes posted a picture of her at a party holding a solo cup. Guess what? She was benched the following week. If it was a playoff week, guess what, she still would've been benched. She was pissed, but the team realized that we were not playing around when it came to that. Policy still holds today and we haven't had any other issues since then. I think if we had let her slide, and not punish her others would've felt it was okay as well. I can't babysit them 24/7 and stop them from partying or being disrespectful all the time, but I can help teach them not to be idiots online.

I mean really, you can make rules all you want, but if you have no consequences, it's less likely that people will follow those rules, IMO. It sucks that it's a worlds team, but sometimes you have to bite the bullet (no cali pun intended) and make some tough choices. May just be me, but teaching kids accountability and respect always trumps winning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back