Music Oldies

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jan 31, 2011
I noticed some teams this year (Orange Crush PS, Brandon, Senior Elite) used oldies in their music? Do you like this? What are some of your favorite oldies songs that have been used/you wish have had been used in routines?

I think it depends on the song. When I think "oldies," I don't think of 70's or 80's music, I think 50's or 60's, but that just shows my age...It's a fine line because if the athletes aren't feeling it, it shows.

I think it depends on the song. When I think "oldies," I don't think of 70's or 80's music, I think 50's or 60's, but that just shows my age...It's a fine line because if the athletes aren't feeling it, it shows.

It's subjective... You should just put what think, you would like to hear in a routine that's an Oldie to you.

I count 50's + as oldies. Though I do really love 70's and 80's rock. Fame J5's pyramid from 09 (?) to We Built This City on Rock and Roll was really great, and Charlotte Teal's 08 or 09 dance to Come on Ilene is one of the best things I've ever seen

I really want to hear:

"Hollywood Swingin" - Kool & the Gang
Pretty much anything George Clinton/Parliament - "Flashlight," "One Nation Under a Groove," "Atomic Dog"
"Get Up" - James Brown (only it would have to be edited to eliminate the $ex Machine part, but still...)
"Higher Ground" - Stevie Wonder
"Play that Funky Music" - Wild Cherry
"Brickhouse" - The Commodores
"Think" - Aretha Franklin
"Clean Up Woman" - Betty Wright
"The 900 Number" - DJ Mark the 45 King
And not that they're "oldies" but they have that feel - "Aint No Other Man" and "Candyman" by Christina Aguilera

I really want to hear:

"Hollywood Swingin" - Kool & the Gang
Pretty much anything George Clinton/Parliament - "Flashlight," "One Nation Under a Groove," "Atomic Dog"
"Get Up" - James Brown (only it would have to be edited to eliminate the $ex Machine part, but still...)
"Higher Ground" - Stevie Wonder
"Play that Funky Music" - Wild Cherry
"Brickhouse" - The Commodores
"Think" - Aretha Franklin
"Clean Up Woman" - Betty Wright
"The 900 Number" - DJ Mark the 45 King
And not that they're "oldies" but they have that feel - "Aint No Other Man" and "Candyman" by Christina Aguilera

Yes mame! Love it. Now ya talking!

"Genius of Love" - Tom Tom Club...please, someone use the "James Brooowwwwn" part. It's just awesome.
"Sweet Dreams (Are Made ot This)" - Eurythmics
"I'll Tumble For Ya" ;) - Culture Club
"The Twist" - Chubby Checker (like I can see a dream team where everyone has doubles using this)
"Proud Mary" - Ike & Tina
"I Want You Back" - Jackson 5

ETA: "Runaround Sue" - Dion
"Hit the Road Jack" - Ray Charles

Abba - The Winner Takes It All
Lyrics made for cheer! "The winner takes it all/ The loser has to fall" Are you kidding me? Perfect!

Back