One Nationals

Discussion in 'Discussing the Cheerleading Industry' started by SharkDad, Feb 15, 2010.

1. King

King Is all about that bass Staff Member

Shimmys Received:
    Web:
    Twitter:
    fierceboard
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    Verified Member:
    King Harrison
    Georgia Tech Coach
    Like Button

2. ohkcheery

ohkcheery They call me Susie

Shimmys Received:
    Web:
    I am a(n)...:
    Retired From Cheer
    Double like. I think this is appropriate.
    All in favor?
    [​IMG]

3. Level5Mom

Level5Mom Best Parent

Shimmys Received:
    Web:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    I agree with this as well. Athletic Championships is another good example of this. Every competition they have is a National, yet it is typical to only see 3-4 states represented at these events.

4. mg8923

mg8923 Cheer Stalker

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    I guess I always find it funny to see National champs when you have not even competed against someone in your division.

I am all for one National, my husband (the non cheer guy) always makes fun of national champs because of that.

5. Level5Mom

Level5Mom Best Parent

Shimmys Received:
    Web:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    I have had to explain to (wide-eyed, jaws-on-the-floor) people after they see my daughter in a "National Champion" hoodie and are going crazy over her that it is really not a true National. Quite frankly it's embarrassing. I never have a good answer for these people who ask me why they call it a National. Sure, I could lie....but it's not in my nature to make something bigger than it really is to look good.

6. mg8923

mg8923 Cheer Stalker

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach

That is too funny as a mom, coach and now soon to be owner I am the same way!

7. ohkcheery

Shimmys Received:
    Web:
    I am a(n)...:
    Retired From Cheer
    I literally LOL-ed at this! I don't think it would be too difficult to have National requirements - say.. 500 teams enter a competition. A certain % of the states would need to be represented to have it be declared a national. A regional would be a lower percentage variability and etc. I think that having Cheersport Nationals and NCA Nationals, etc is no biggie. They are huge competitions with hundreds and hundreds of teams but when you get to the Hillbilly Podunk Nationals that has only 20 gyms represented and 15 are from the same state it gets kind of ridiculous ;)

8. gerrymd8

gerrymd8 Cheer Stalker

Shimmys Received:
    Having been an "event producer", competitions are a lot more expensive to than you think if you want to do it right. People in the cheer world know what events are "real" and which are not. I can say I was grand champion all I want but if my team is the only one in the division, than really??? Listen, you have your National for Level 5/6 - its Worlds. And for the other levels, I would have to say its the US Finals now that Jam is in there. All Levels was an effort to jump on the money bandwagon when they saw how many teams wanted to attend a true National.

9. gerrymd8

gerrymd8 Cheer Stalker

Shimmys Received:
    By the way, say you restrict companies from calling their events Nationals by requiring them to have a certain number of teams, well then, you may find your cost of attending the NATIONALS going way up due to the fact that those companies will now have a monopoly.

10. Andre

Andre Batman at Justice League

Shimmys Received:
    Web:
    Twitter:
    andrejcarter
    I am a(n)...:
    USASF
    Verified Member:
    Andre Carter
    USASF Core Safety Official
    Dallas and Atlanta could easily handle the event. Both have major international airports and have held events like the Superbowl, major conference basketball tournaments and Atlanta had the Olympics.

Other cities that could host include New York, Chicago, LA, Houston, and Washington DC off the top of my head.

11. Andre

Shimmys Received:
    Web:
    Twitter:
    andrejcarter
    I am a(n)...:
    USASF
    Verified Member:
    Andre Carter
    There aren't many events with 500 teams. Cheersport, NCA, JAMfest Super Nationals, and US Finals Virginia Beach are the only ones I can think of that have broken 500 in the past few years.

12. ohkcheery

Shimmys Received:
    Web:
    I am a(n)...:
    Retired From Cheer
    500 was a random number.. it could be any number. 50, 100, 200, whatever the total number of teams ends up being.
    And a monopoly? I don't think so.. as if cheer isn't moving in that direction already, the only way that competition would be monopolized if the scales were something unattainable. Each competition company could have their own "National". The cost would not have to increase, especially if the number of teams is a high number (which for a Nationals, it should be and if there were TRUE nationals, I'd bet that the attendees would be even higher) or if the venue and competition stay the same. If you say Grand Champion or National Champion doesn't matter because those in the cheer industry know otherwise, why bother doing it in the first place?

13. cheerymom

cheerymom I nugget in the back

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    Ummm, Atlanta hosted the Olympics. I think they could figure it out.

14. perfectcheermom

perfectcheermom Cheer Stalker

Shimmys Received:
    BlueCat you wrote your opinion as to where it SHOULDN'T be but you did not name ONE VENUE as to where u think it SHOULD be and be as successful as it has been at DisneyWorld. And believe me my idea of a good time is not a Theme Park covered in blacktop when temps are in the 80's.

15. Andre

Shimmys Received:
    Web:
    Twitter:
    andrejcarter
    I am a(n)...:
    USASF
    Verified Member:
    Andre Carter
    I think he's said Dallas on one of the other threads.