All-Star One Reason I Like My Gym

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

ACEDAD

Named "Best Veteran" meaning "Most Attractive".
Cheer Parent
Dec 14, 2009
ACE isn't perfect by any means. But Happy has done a good job and tried to address issues as best he could.

An email just went out to staff today discussing the last regular season competition next month. I just wanted to share a part of it. He tries very hard to make sure everyone understands what is expected. I just like that he doesn't mince words.

Following your teams performance times you are allowed to go enjoy the beach. You are not allowed to drink adult beverages unless it is at dinner. DO NOT be on the beach or at the pool drinking. You will be sent home immediately and will not be allowed to travel next year. (EVEN IF IT IS SUSPECTED) Do not put yourself in a situation to be perceived in that light.

Totally classy and professional. There is nothing worse then coaches or parents drinking too much at a away competition. The end result is usually not good.

That is impressive. We have the same type of rule at our gym. I think that by putting your expectations out there from the beginning, they are eliminating potential problems. The coaches/owners are some of the most influential people in your cheerleader's life. They need to set an example for their athletes to follow.

I have unfortunately seen other teams owners and coaches getting drunk in the bar late at night and making fools out of themselves. I have even seen pictures of a drunk coach from another gym passed out at a competition. That's not a person I would want my daughter looking up to.

I guess it never even occured to me that might be a problem - I can't imagine one of our coaches thinking that was okay. But having something in writing out there just so there is no question of expectations is obviously a very smart thing to do. I guess it is not feasible, but I wish the parents could be held to the same standard. Parents have to realize that they too represent the gym and can leave a good or a bad impression depending on their behavior. I have mentioned this elsewhere, but what comes to mind is the man who was so rude at NCA about saving seats - he is the only person from that gym I have ever had any interaction with and yet it has colored my perception of that gym - even though logically I know that isn't reasonable. Seeing a drunk coach or a drunk parent would do the same.

Our first gym (this is one of the many reasons we left to go to Fame) only went out of town twice a year. On the first trip, the owner of the gym was so drunk she was running up and down the halls of the hotel knocking on everyone's door. At 2 AM. The night before we competed. One of the mom's nicely (but NOT wisely) opened the door and let her in. She was wearing a hot pink feather boa and some kind of giant sparkly hat. Dancing around the room and just acting ridiculous. This poor mom had to explain to her MINI daughter why she was acting like that. It was ridiculous.

Second trip out of town was to the same city--and about a month before the trip we all received an email telling us they had found a better deal on a different hotel so we all switched our reservations. The new hotel was AWFUL and about 10 miles from the venue. We couldn't figure out why they chose to switch to this one...until it dawned on us that we were probably barred from the first hotel. :eek: I was so embarrassed and I didn't know ANYONE in that city.

So I think this is a gooooood policy. I love it!

Ugh people and alchohal at travel comps annoys me sooo much I love the minute you put down your luggage someone is already going on an alchohal run...that is such a bad message to send to all the kids running around that mommy and daddy and your coaches cant bare to be around you kids and all this cheerleading for a weekend without walking around with "gatorade" bottles

I can't imagine getting drunk at an out-of-town competition when I'm with my grade-school aged children. Can't even imagine it when they're older. And I certainly can't imagine it when our gym is owned by someone who has zero tolerance for that sort of behavior.

I love the rules Happy has put in place. This is our workplace and competitions are considered an extension of our workplace. One of the biggest things competitions do is showcase to our peers what we've been manufacturing all year. There is no reason we should be drinking or acting unprofessionally during a time we've worked so hard towards. My mom owns a real estate company and there is no way she would show up intoxicated to a conference in front of her peers. A business is a business... No matter what the field is... There is no reason why anyone should be acting any other way than what Happy stated... Especially in front of kids.

Yes, coming from a family of teetotalers, I was shocked at how many parents drink on these trips when I joined the allstar world. My previous gym, I can remember seeing little ones running around the hotel lobby at midnight while their parents were in the bar, and thinking it was absolutely crazy. One year, I had 2 sisters on my youth team- ages 8 and 10. The 10 year old stayed up and did her own hair and her sister's hair, because the Mom was out drinking. That was upsetting, to say the least.

Also my previous gym, it was pretty commonplace for the coaches and parents to drink together on overnights. In 4 years of coaching there, I don't think I payed for a drink once lol. Things got out of hand sometimes, especially with the tequila shot initiation that was given to all new coaches. I think, at the time, maybe we didn't think too much of it because the kids were in bed and didn't really see us at all. When I look back on it, it was very inappropriate. I mean, watching a coach try to spot fulls in warmups when he's so hungover he can barely stand- that's a problem. As a parent, I would NOT be happy with that.

What you have to keep in mind is that, whether you are a coach or a parent, these kids look up to you to set an example. I can imagine it being uncomfortable for a kid to see their coach/parent getting out of control intoxicated.

Well said xbtmom. Personally my owners are the biggest role models in my life

Yes! This could not be more true, even as a coach. Owners are like the parents of the whole program- you strive to please them, you crave their feedback, you try to live out their vision as much as your own, and you hope that they are patient, understanding, and forgiving if you make a mistake.

ACE isn't perfect by any means. But Happy has done a good job and tried to address issues as best he could.

An email just went out to staff today discussing the last regular season competition next month. I just wanted to share a part of it. He tries very hard to make sure everyone understands what is expected. I just like that he doesn't mince words.

Following your teams performance times you are allowed to go enjoy the beach. You are not allowed to drink adult beverages unless it is at dinner. DO NOT be on the beach or at the pool drinking. You will be sent home immediately and will not be allowed to travel next year. (EVEN IF IT IS SUSPECTED) Do not put yourself in a situation to be perceived in that light.

I'm sure you know how much I LOVE this and by what I hear CAC has similar rules. Wish more gyms would make a stand like this!

I do like the fact that the expectations are clearly set, definitely an improvement on the don't let it go overboard or if we didn't see it happen it doesn't happen policy. Whether I agree with the rule is another story, but one thing ive learned in life is if you enjoy your job amd your money enough you'll abide by your bosses rules whether you like them or not. I do hate to see coaches sitting all night at a hotel bar when the kids are around though. If I go out at night, drink and don't act a fool, and can come back after my kids are in bed I think that's fine so long as I can perform the duties of my job like I'm paid to do, then I'm okay. Kids at my gym aren't stupid and know that we drink, but we are also sometimes the only adults that they see (if they are at the same restaurant, not when getting plastered at the bar) doing it responsibly. If more parents educated kids on and practiced Responsible alcohol use we would see less of a problem in teen drinking.
Look at other countries where drinking is part of the culture and I would bet the don't have the issues we do to a large extent. Some countries the drinking age is sixteen, would it be okay for those coaches to drink with their older athletes at a restaurant?

Back