All-Star One Team Size - 24 People

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

King

Is all about that bass
Staff member
FBOD:LLFB
Dec 4, 2009
Always seems to come back up every once in a while and I think now is an appropriate time.

Let us make one division size: 24 people.

Why? If you have one division size it means there is no more large and small and you will have more teams to be able to compete against.

Why is that good? Traveling has gotten very expensive BUT you need to travel to find enough competition for a lot of divisions. One division size means no splits which means more teams in a division.

How does it help scoring? The math becomes a lot easier. If you know you can have up to 24 its a lot easier for judges to calculate how many per people going up or performing tumbling skills via numbers to help determine difficulty.

What would be lost? People like looking at large teams. It is more visually attractive. But right the largest divisions in cheer have only a handful of teams considering there are 200,000 ish allstars.

Some large gyms have more than 24 kids in a particular age group/level. Sometimes having the ability to make one large team and one small team assures that more kids are appropriately placed on a team.

Have two teams in the division. What is wrong with that?

Under this system would you need 24 to max out? Or could you field 23 and max out with one less stunt?

Under this system would you need 24 to max out? Or could you field 23 and max out with one less stunt?

You could have a team of 23 and max out for your numbers.

Have two teams in the division. What is wrong with that?

It's tough to compete against your own gym. It may also be hard to evenly divide the kids between the two (or more) teams in the same division without making one team better than the other.

In my experience it's even been tough to compete against a team from our gym but a different location.

ETA: I can also see a lot of pros with having one team size per age and level. My CPs have frequently not had any competition or less than 3 competitors at major national competitions due to division splits.

It's tough to compete against your own gym. It may also be hard to evenly divide the kids between the two (or more) teams in the same division without making one team better than the other.

In my experience it's even been tough to compete against a team from our gym but a different location.

If a gym has that many kids to field two of the same teams, they could have one that is a non travel team and one that is travel. A family can choose to be apart of the travel or non travel based on their income.

It seems that we already have this divide with the full year all star prep and full year regular all star divisions.

What is the prep division? I haven't kept up on the new divisions :p

I always thought half year teams were for kids who wanted to do HS and all star.

What is the prep division? I haven't kept up on the new divisions :p

I always thought half year teams were for kids who wanted to do HS and all star.

Some gyms now offer all star prep as a full year option. Less practice time and limited travel. Routines are limited to 2 min, no basket tosses and can only compete 1 day at 2 day events. No cross overs allowed between all star prep and regular divisions ar the same event. Not offered in every division/level but these divisions works great for those families who don't want to travel or gyms that offer a half year program for kids that want to do HS/pop warner in the fall and all star in the winter.

Some gyms now offer all star prep as a full year option. Less practice time and limited travel. Routines are limited to 2 min, no basket tosses and can only compete 1 day at 2 day events. No cross overs allowed between all star prep and regular divisions ar the same event. Not offered in every division/level but these divisions works great for those families who don't want to travel or gyms that offer a half year program for kids that want to do HS/pop warner in the fall and all star in the winter.

Thanks for the info :)

So in theory, we could keep full year travel and full year non travel teams, but the problem would happen when the half year teams come along.

@King - with your proposition for one team size, would we have a prep division for half year teams as well?

ETA: I like the idea and it would be exciting to see it go into effect.

Latest posts

Back