All-Star Online Schooling Program?!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I am curious, how much time do the girls spend cheering during the week if they home school & cheer in the day?

I always wondered when the first "cheer school" would roll around. I guess this is a step towards that!

I think for those kids that are just CHEERCHEERCHEER, this could be really great. But, they would spend most of the day with the same kids, as they would cheer with them, then go to school with them, or the other way around. This may not always be great, but sometimes, kids need to get away from kids at school, and then those same kids would be at practice. Maybe when these girls get on a senior team, its an option, but not when they are younger.

But, I think online schooling is a fantastic idea. If this were to be done in a gym setting, there could be a adviser there so all the kids could have their questions answered, and work at their own pace. Kids that get homeschooled tend to have overall higher GPA's, and working with your team could be a lot of motivation and discipline to stay on track in school. A gym could keep track of their athlete's education so much better then they could otherwise.

This could be a great thing if done right!

@gymncheercoach and @Hi! It's me! Hats off to you. I think home schooling the way you do it is a great tool. While it's not conventional, I think it gives a child a better education. One of my Tinys is home schooled because she's dyslexic. While she moves at a slower pace in reading than most other 1st graders, because of the individualized instruction, she has already started 2nd grade material. My problem is not with the home schooling. My problem is that I think these kids are doing it for the wrong reasons and without the support groups your kids have. Who is going to help these girls? Will it be their parents, their coaches? Are any of them able to assist in high school level or even AP subjects? Who's going to take them on field trips? When will they have time for yoga or soccer or art or chorus between home school and cheer cheer cheer? I don't like that every single kid HAS to use this program. What if e2020 isn't working for one? Will she be able to use another one? I think at least some of these girls may get cheated out of what's most important here. An education, and a life outside of cheerleading

Some of the girls on Power Envy currently do not even know much about the online schooling program being offered so it seems to me that they are not pushing it to much inside the gym at this current time. I would think that they would have had an information meeting on it or something being that it is the start of summer and before we know it school will be starting up again. Maybe it is more of just a sponsorship thing to get the name out and not really being persued to heavily within the program??

Regardless I have taken online classes and absolutely loved them. I am a very independantly driven person so that might make a difference when choosing if online schooling/classes are right for a person. I think if you are not self motivated then you more than likely would not be successful in that type of program. I love Kelly and think her ideas are innovative with the Power program, maybe she will see this thread and shead some light on this.

Wow...in only 2 pages this thread seems to be about a million different things!
One, online classes...which seems to be what everyone thinks online schooling is. BIG difference. Being enrolled in a college and taking some of your courses online is NOT the same as online schooling. So while I'm glad people are taking advantage of the online courses offered at your college, that's not the same thing as online schooling for K-12.

Two, is cheer really the kind of sport where this is needed? I'm inclined to say no. It seems a little over the top if you're ONLY doing it so your child can cheer. But I don't live there, and I don't have a child on a Worlds team, so I can only say it's a nice option for people who live far away and are willing to do it.

My daughter will be doing online schooling next year. It'll be her senior year, and we've decided to pull her out of her public school. Her school is NOT safe, and she's too old to apply to one of the city's million other options (charter schools, magnet schools, tech schools, etc.) Private school in the city of Chicago is just not financially an option for our family. So we've opted to go with an online/homeschooling curriculum for her. Will she miss out on some of things a "regular" school could offer? Of course. But we've decided that it's more important to us that she be alive to graduate than for her to go to the prom and have a graduation ceremony. (I'm sure she'll find a way to get to a prom one way or another).

I don't know that a cheer gym needs to offer it...it's available to everyone anyway if someone wants to do it. But I'm all for doing what works for YOUR family, not someone else's.

I did half of school this year online. Sometimes I liked it, sometimes I hated it. It was definitely a LOT more work than public school. And I gotta admit not seeing friends from school and just being surrounded by cheerleaders got a little old. High school cheer brought me back! :rolleyes:

But I like the idea. More practice and still getting a good education? Heck yes!

You also have to understand the cheer culture in AZ. There are not a lot of really good gyms (Worlds caliber)...you have Desert Storm and Power...that's about it. Both gyms are in North Scottsdale which is 3 to 4 hours from Tucson and even more from Yuma and Flagstaff (if you live in Yuma you are probably closer to Cali). Many of the level 5 kids live in the East Valley which can be a 2 hour drive if you live in Johnson Ranch or Queen Creek.
For kids that have to travel far, this is a great opportunity to get tutoring onsite....
If Cali wanted to make a killing they would open a gym in Gilbert or Chandler, AZ....they would have more kids then they know what to do with....
i do the 2 hour drive to Scottsdale from Tucson 3 days a week... so worth it :)

Just to clear things up. My daughter is on AZ Power Envy and the online classes are for SAT test prep and tutoring for the girls that want to take advantage of it. It is not an online based high school or anything like that. All the girls are in normal school and practice 2 times a week with an optional tumbling class. :)

@Just-a-Mom...does this mean she is going back to All Stars?

Sorry I never replied to this! I didn't even see it until just now as I was re-reading this thread. :oops: She is still thinking of doing a partial season team at our gym where my younger one is cheering. But for now she wants to get back into dance. She took ballet and hip hop when she was younger, and wants to do more of that. She is about to be 17, so she is considered an adult in the dance world. Works perfect for us, because she can go to the dance studio near us during the day and then school at night if she wants.

She's had a really rough year, in and out of school, so I'm thinking she just wants to do something a little more for HER and cheer really isn't that. So I think a few months of just relaxing and living at her own pace will be really good for her.

I told her if she does the online schooling/homeschooling that one of my requirements would be that she had to find something OUTSIDE of our home to do that would get her some physical exercise, so dance it is!

private school for 6000 a year?! that's awfully low.

Depends on where you live. When I lived in Annapolis, yes, $6k is low and unheard of. Greenville, NC where we are now, not so much. My friend here is putting two kids through catholic school for like $650 a month....

Depends on where you live. When I lived in Annapolis, yes, $6k is low and unheard of. Greenville, NC where we are now, not so much. My friend here is putting two kids through catholic school for like $650 a month....

I feel like religious-affiliated schools aren't as expensive as the "college-prep" type private school. This isn't a jab at all of them, this is just going off of the ones I know at home because there are a TON of christian academys/catholic schools, and to be honest, their quality of education isn't any better (if not worse) than the local public schools. And I feel like that defeats the purpose of paying for your basic elementary/middle/high school education, unless you live in a very bad area and this is to get your kid out of that setting type thing.

As I said, I know I know nothing about the ones in other areas than in south-central Pennsylvania and the Pittsburgh area, and I'm sure some religious schools are way above and beyond what I know, but this is the experience I've had with private schools. And I attended 2 private schools and two public schools during my K-12 education, just finished two years at a public state university, and will be finishing my next two at a private university.

6k a year for private is not the norm in cali at least the private school I coach at is something like 12k a year and its all girl. The all boy school next door is more.

Back