All-Star Opinions On Really Small Teams

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

CP was on a pretty competitive team of 12 this season. They took one first place and 2 seconds, missed a summit bid by frictions of a point twice.
Th gym was stricter with placements and everyone had their skills. I'll take that any day over a team of 20 where half the team doesn't have a clue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I saw that small youth 2 team at summit. They were very good. On Saturday they had a stunt issue/fall and still were in first place.

Okay so question. Say a gym is going to be super strict on team placements this season. They are not allowing any athletes on a team that do not have all the required tumbling. But what happens if this team ends up with on 12 or 13 athletes or some other low number. Can they still be competitive in small against most teams of 20?

Does maxing out the tumbling skills help them? or the lack of body for things like pyramids, etc hurt them on the other end?

Just wondering if someone with way more knowledge than me has an opinion on how the team size effects their chances.
With the current score sheets, yes, absolutely. Small teams have certain advantages, like lower stunt quantity. However, they have the disadvantage of not being able to hide those with less than perfect skills.

My cp tried out this past weekend and the gym required you to have all level appropriate tumble skills in order to attend a certain level tryout. For example, she tried out for level 3 and the requirements were: 3 standing BHS, toe touch double BHS, and RO BHS tuck or RO Tuck. If you had all but 1 skill you still couldn't attend that level you had to attend a lower level. But at the end of tryout you were allowed to showcase any a higher level skills you have.

I think this tryout method could possibly make teams smaller but definitely stronger!! I think this will allow the gym to also have the ability to place a few athletes on non level appropriate teams for stunting purposes but still be able to max out the score sheet in standing tumbling, running, and stunts...but also difficulty and technique.

My cp tried out this past weekend and the gym required you to have all level appropriate tumble skills in order to attend a certain level tryout. For example, she tried out for level 3 and the requirements were: 3 standing BHS, toe touch double BHS, and RO BHS tuck or RO Tuck. If you had all but 1 skill you still couldn't attend that level you had to attend a lower level. But at the end of tryout you were allowed to showcase any a higher level skills you have.

I think this tryout method could possibly make teams smaller but definitely stronger!! I think this will allow the gym to also have the ability to place a few athletes on non level appropriate teams for stunting purposes but still be able to max out the score sheet in standing tumbling, running, and stunts...but also difficulty and technique.
This is how our gym does tryouts/assessment levels. It certainly does produce very level appropriate teams. But there are, as you say, always a few that will be placed due to strengths in other areas.

I coached a J1 team this year. When we went to Myrtle Beachfor BatB, the first place team had only 4 members, while we had 19.

I see it as no problem for younger teams and lower levels.
The team that won summit 2 years ago in small senior 2 only had about 13 kids.

was it Power Modesto??
I think they won senior 2 and Power Fresno won youth 2 this year. Their FB and web pages are all about you have to have the skills, quality over quantity etc.(and the Summit) But they also have two fewer gyms this year and what looks like fewer teams. We ran into them a lot over the past few years, and they used to have teams in basically every division. Doesn't look that way this year.

Back