High School Paying For Cheer?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Nov 6, 2012
Last season, I cheered at a high school where all you had to buy was cheer shoes & a bow. The total cost was like $100. I also took tumbling & it was $50/Month because my family is military.
This year I have to take a whole year off because of my knee & ankle so it's costing us nothing. Next season though I'm going to be cheering for my new school I'm going to next year hopefully, and I know it cost the cheerleaders about $600. Also I'll be trying out for my first allstar team, which we all know is expensive.
My question is how do you afford cheer? My parents pay for my private school, and next year we'll be adding allstar cheerleading, school cheer & school soccer to that list. They refuse to talk about money in front of me but I know it's hard for them. They keep telling me I only have two years left here & they want it to be all I need. The school & gym don't offer scholarships or fundraising...
Please give me some ideas. Thanks you

Sponsorship... My CP asked relatives and family friends as well as her hair stylist, manicurist, Dentist, favorite restaurants, family insurance agent and even her Pediatrician to sponsor her for the year of cheer. She would write a letter and include a picture of herself and personally go around and ask for people to assist in supporting her in the expense of cheering. For relatives and family friends, she would have a separate letter and ask for sponsorship in lieu of Birthday and Xmas presents/money and she would get about $750-1,000 a year in sponsors to help with expenses, paid directly to her gym, that would pay for monthly fees, competition fees, uniform and the other expenses of all star cheer. It really helped out and she felt like she was contributing something toward her expenses by just writing some letters and personally requesting sponsors.

^ what she said - this is exactly what we've been doing for the last 4 years - we give all business sponsors a picture in a frame thanking them for thier sponsorship. Last year a pizza place even offered us spirit nights for the team as we'll as a fundraising jar(10% of all receipts collected)

Good luck

If you know how to make bows your could start selling those. It might not bring in a lot but anything is better than nothing :)

Definitely sponsors. Also check with your program about any fundraising opportunities they have. You can also help teach classes (all-star gym wise) if you can. Good luck!!

At my school the cheerleaders sell ads to businesses that go in the football program. Half of the money we make goes toward paying our cheer debt. Every year of high school I have sold enough adds to pay of my cheerleading and more. That way all my parents have left to worry about is competition.

Back