OT Planning A Trip To Worlds

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Apr 15, 2011
So, I'm saving up for a trip to worlds this year! I want to know from everyone that has been on some great saving tips and which hotels to stay at and the cheapest way to fly etc... So any advice would be greatly appreciated! :)

So, I'm saving up for a trip to worlds this year! I want to know from everyone that has been on some great saving tips and which hotels to stay at and the cheapest way to fly etc... So any advice would be greatly appreciated! :)

We booked a hotel on hotwire and got a hotel for $35/night, and it was surprisingly nice. It had great rooms, and a free breakfast. If you select the area around Disney, you can say within a few miles. We did rent a car, but honestly, you can rent cars for so cheap now it was worth it to be able to go around on our own. I believe the car was only about $20 a day for unlimited miles.
Without having to do the package, we hardly paid anything. We didn't have any interest in parks, and were at WWofS all day long. Obviously the $25 to get in each day to watch, but overall I think that we got out with the bare minimum in costs and had a great time. Hotwire is a lifesaver. Check on flights and just keep an eye out for hotels and things you'll need as time goes on.

I probably won't be much help since I only went for one day & only had to drive an hour & a half but, here is my story.
So I officially decided to go & got the okay only about 6 weeks before worlds. With it being the same weekend as prom I had to pick which day I would go, how I was going to divide the money I was going to save between each event, ect. Luckily, I got all my prom cost covered by my boyfriend and mom (except for my earrings that I fell in love with when my mom wasn't with me at the mall), so all my money pretty much went to worlds. Before you start figuring out what you need to do for your earnings, I suggest making a list of everything you plan to buy. Clothes, food, souvenirs, gas, hotel, airfare, ect. Estimate the prices (over estimate really) then set a goal. My goal was around $150 I believe, and I think I only spent about $90. The one thing I did spend the most money on was food. (starbucks on the way, wetzels twice while we were there, and mcdonalds on the way home) And the cheapest was gas ($20).
Once you have your goal amount, if you have a job find out how much per paycheck you should put aside for worlds. Good thing about starting so soon is, you can put smaller amounts from each paycheck away :). I got all my money from babysitting and one of the people I babysit for ended up giving me $50 one night to spend for prom... But it's okay because I ended up taking her daughter with me to worlds, lol.
My wish this year is to go the whole weekend, but with prom being the same weekend, once again, and it's my senior year, I'm still unsure. I might work something out with someone to pay for hotel and I'll pay for their flight, depending on where they live.. (My dad is a pilot so he gets "buddy passes" and can give them to who he wants and they're only like $100 round trip depending on where they're departing/arriving.)

I hope all works out for you and you have the time of your life at worlds! I know I did :D

I consider myself a Disney pro, though I've never been to Worlds.

1. Do NOT stay on Disney property. It's so much more expensive. If you want to go watch teams stunt, you can park and walk onto hotel grounds. We stay at this great place called Tropical Palms. They're little mobile homes located right on Disney Highway (5 minute drive) but the huge benefit is they have a kitchen. Which brings me to point number two...
2. Avoid eating on Disney property at all costs, it's very expensive (and it means you have to give up your seat). Disney parks allow you to bring food on property. Once you get there take an hour and go to a grocery store to stock up for a few days. Or, if you're driving, bring food from home.

Those are my two biggest tips for people not going into the parks

Royal Plaza was $64.00 free shuttle to Disney, we got it last minute for the price, less than a month prior.

A good way to plan how much you ultimately need to save is to start looking for flights and hotels now. That way, even if you can't book, you know an approximate amount you'll need.
Don't forget the $25/day fee for WWoS, and build in a little spending money (Worlds tee, Wetzel Pretzel,money for a cab in case you miss your shuttle to the hotel, etc.)

I went this year for my sweet 16. We literally got everything dirt cheap...haha. I mean it.
-Airfare- book through one of the discount websites if one of you're parents isn't an honors member on an airline. For my mom and I, my dad flies twice a week since his company isn't based in NC, and racks up SO many points and coupon cards.He had a 150 dollar voucher for giving up his seat on an early flight and switching to a later flight, so we used that and it covered like half of my mom's ticket. My ticket was only $99 because my dad is a platinum member on US Airways and gets buddy passes every year he's a member. but websites like hotwire always have pretty good deals so check there. Also book early and flights are normally much cheaper.
-Hotel- do NOT book on disney property! It's insanely expensive and the rooms really aren't that nice for the couple hundred they want a night. Once again, my dad is out of town a lot so he racks up hotel points, as he's a platinum Hilton Honors member. This was a bit of a drive, but our hotel was about 25 minutes away. We stayed at a super nice hilton garden inn for free on points though, so it was completely worth it. If you want to watch teams practice on thursday and friday, what we did was park and walk up to watch. My friend from my gym also came with us so my mom just dropped us off there.
-Food-I'd advise you to go to a grocery store there and buy snacks. Food on disney property is incredibly expensive. We wanted to go get some sweet teas at mcdonalds, which are normally $1 for a large at home, and they charged us 2.50 for them. WHAT?! us southern people gotta have our sweet tea!
They let you bring in food and drinks, so why not bring your own. The only thing we ate there was food in the cafe one day, and wetzel pretzel another. that was really just to have the 'wetzel experience' everyone on here was talking about...and it was worth it! the cafe food wasn't particularly great. kinda gross actually.
oh and I would say there's no point in going to prelims. Some people may disagree with me, but I felt like if the teams were worth watching, they'd be there for semi finals. Plus it's another 25 dollars for admission saved.

hope this helps. I know it was super long, but I feel like I gave all the advice I could.

I'm not too concerned about the food and what not.. I just need a way to get a cheap flight.

another thing, look into the 'off brand' airlines. My brother is in the army, and he's stationed in CA. Flights from there to NC are insane. He normally books through the airline called 'cheapo air'.

Back