Poachers

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jul 13, 2016
What can I do to stop poaching? There is one gym close to my program that has placed senior level athletes in at least 3 other area gyms to poach. I lost 5 kids to this guy, another gym lost 4 and another lost all its senior boys. The poaching gym isn't all that great and is pretty lenient in things such as payments, who can fly, etc.

They don't win major or even secondary competitions only lower level ones and that's only because they are 9 times out of 10 the only team in that division.

I have a clause in our commitment contract stating that if a parent does not give us two weeks notice and just quits we can go after them for the full year of costs.

Is there anything else we can do?

Sounds like another gym in our area, same story. They poach our upper level athletes by advertising all their wins, at rinky dink comps where they are either the only gym in the division, or wiping the floor with a tiny gym. Honestly, I don't understand why people keep going there other than they are willing to put them on the level they demand because they know they are going to win anyway.

Our gym has a pretty steep contract termination fee.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

When you say they have "placed athletes in 3 area gyms to poach", do you mean that this gym sends in some of their athletes to the competitor gym for things like open gyms or tryouts, and then once in, those "mole" athletes convice the hosting gyms athletes to leave and come to their gym?

No one can force an athlete to leave. They are leaving because of real or perceived advantages at the other gym. Honestly, there is nothing you can do and that clause in your contract is worth only about the cost of the ink to print it. Why even have it? Is 2 weeks going to really make a difference? I can see being responsible for the next month's tuition if you don't give notice, but a whole year? Not going to happen.

You can really only focus on what it takes to make your gym the place where people want to stay. Why are these kids so willing to leave? What is it that the poaching gym is offering them? The reality is you may take a short term hit but I think long term people want real competition and want a quality program and if you are offering that and the other program isn't... they will want to come back. Make sure you don't slam doors shut when they leave. But also realize that perhaps "winning" (even against nobody) is what these kids want... and if so... are these quality athletes that you even would want as part of your program?
Finally, if poaching gym is offering free tuition etc. as a means to get these kids... unless they are growing their program in other ways (I don't know if they are larger or ??) that will cause issues and some folks who aren't getting free tuition will happily find their way to your program rather than continue to fork over the $ to "scholarship" a few -

No one can force an athlete to leave. They are leaving because of real or perceived advantages at the other gym. Honestly, there is nothing you can do and that clause in your contract is worth only about the cost of the ink to print it. Why even have it? Is 2 weeks going to really make a difference? I can see being responsible for the next month's tuition if you don't give notice, but a whole year? Not going to happen.
I'm going to have to agree. they're going there b/c they feel in some way they are providing a service the other gyms are not... :/

Whatever you do, don't try matching any discounts or financial incentives the other gym is offering. You have no idea how deep their pockets are or how much they are willing to lose In recruiting.

**wondering if twerking competitors get corporate sponsors and if so who are they**

As a cheer parent I don't believe recruiting or poaching should be a threat to owners. A family is not going to change gyms unless they want to. There are a few options in my area. I know families from other gyms that we could go to. They are my friends and of course we talk about the pros and cons of each gym when we meet. This is just normal conversation... Not recruitment. Gyms are a business and should focus on the service they provide and not blame "poaching" for the loss of clients. (And yes, I use the term client intentionally- a family feel is great but at the end of the day it's a business and should be treated as such.)

Back