OT Pom! (those Sparkly Things We Shake Around!)

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Jan 3, 2014
So there is so much cred out there for the amazing sport we call cheer! But lately I've noticed that pom squads are slowly becoming popular! It'd be cool if we had an entire forum on this but I highly doubt that's possible. I've done pom since I started cheer but I wanna know what other people think about it. Is it just another style of dance or does it hold something special and belong in our world of high flying tosses and crazy flipping?

I've always viewed pom squads & cheer squads as separate. They are two completely different teams, at least where i'm from. I feel like a lot of people think of cheer & pom as interchangeable because of their many similarities. To me, pom is all about dancing. Just look at the shoes. I definitely consider NFL cheerleaders a pom squad. I'm more comfortable with sharp concise motions. Pom squads seem to have more fluid routines. Plus, i love to stunt and tumble. I do love the Disney Chanel movie Gotta Kick It Up though

Do you guys have cheer-dance divisions in another states? It's basically a pom routine. No stunting, no tumbling, jumps-maybe? I can't remember. My school never ever did it but some schools would do what they called a "traditional routine" (aka a normal HS cheer routine) and then a cheer-dance routine. I'm glad my high school never did it, dancing is my least favorite part of cheerleading.

It definitely belongs in dance. It's just dance, but holding poms. Our dance team competes in pom. It's sharper than their usual jazz/lyrical stuff, and they have to learn to do toe touches, but there's no stunting or tumbling in it. (Well, it's not required. They could throw something in there).

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Where I'm from we have a lot of girls crossing over between pom and cheer like we're taking a group of 25 girls and guys over to the eastern states at the end of the yr for national comps and 14 of our pom girls, including myself are also on a cheer squad. It does make for an intense weekend at our state comps as again we're also on more then one cheer squad and more then one pom squad my highest count of routines at one comp this year so far is 6! I see pom being connected to cheer cause a lot of people see the shiny poms as a icon of cheer and there is jumps and a little bit of tumbling in pom routines

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Back