All-Star Poor Sportsmanship At Cheer Events

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I'm curious as to the authenticity of the original poster. Are they indeed a "HotCheerFan", or is this a sly way of throwing mud, without appearing tacky from an opposing program. I'm just finding it difficult to believe that a Hot Cheer "fan" or "parent" as purported would publicly slam their own program. I've seen a lot on these boards, so I rarely put anything past anyone these days.

I don't think anyone has taken it as a slam against Hot Cheer. it's pretty much stayed a discussion about sportsmanship. Would it help if I criticized ACE for something?

After scrolling through the pages I would say some people are taking it as a slam against HotCheer

interested to know what team your daughter is on at HC.... And my other question is.... If you're so disgusted why don't you leave this program???

@Hotcheerfan

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

Wow, she has to quit the gym because of this? I'd hate to think we all had to quit just because something about our gym perturbed us. None of us would have a place for our little darlings to cheer if that were the case. ;)

I'm curious as to the authenticity of the original poster. Are they indeed a "HotCheerFan", or is this a sly way of throwing mud, without appearing tacky from an opposing program. I'm just finding it difficult to believe that a Hot Cheer "fan" or "parent" as purported would publicly slam their own program. I've seen a lot on these boards, so I rarely put anything past anyone these days.

I don't see it that they are slamming their own program. It was a few parents they're referring to. Doesn't make me think badly about Hot Cheer at all. Every gym has their bad apples or people that just let the moment get the best (or worst) of them.

I dont find it weird at all.
Mostly I think the entire original was a way for the OP to say "Ok. I saw some foolery this weekend. But just so the larger cheer world knows, not all Hot Cheer people are like that."
Lord knows I've see some ugly from some of Tinseltown. And we wont even mention that one blonde boy on that one Coed team in NC. We all have our issues that we feel the necessity for which to apologize.

I just don't think you can compare competitive cheer to football, soccer, baseball, etc. Cheer is for 2 minutes and 30 seconds. They are the ones in charge of their own destiny. Those other sports are generally 3 hours long and back and forth contact with the opposing team. It just doesn't happen that way in cheer. I don't even know how to pull out this argument because they are so different.

I do have to admit that I do feel a sense of relief if the other cheer squads are having difficulties in their routine at competitions. However, I would never show this publically at an event. Cheerleaders are supposed to show positivity and enthusiasm for what they are doing while on the floor. I feel that it is the audiences responsibility to show that same respect to all the squads competing that day.

As far as sportsmanship goes, every program has individuals who outwardly cheer for their competition to fail. It's very unfortunate. I, personally, look at those individuals with a scowl of disgust when this happens. In my opinion, it is of poor taste and it reflects negatively upon the entire program. I totally get that most programs do not encourage such behavior; however, when cheerleaders, fans, parents, etc. step into an arena to support their program of choice, they, in a sense, become representatives of that program.

It appears that the OP was basically saying that she/he saw this behavior within her/his own program and didn't agree with it.

@Hotcheerfan have you addressed this with the owners? I know you said coaches were doing it, but surely not the owners?

Our HC is super competitive and I sit with her quite a lot at cheer comps and while I know she's not disappointed when our competition falls, if she EVER voiced anything out loud I would fall out of my chair from shock. She's the HC for a reason, regardless of feelings she's way to professional for that.

I've only had one mom in my 10 years of coaching (not cheer) cheer out loud when another kid struggled. I told her to leave the competition area and not come back until I was ready for her daughter to be picked up. She was stunned but it did bring attention to her behavior. The kid rode with me for another 5 years before she went off to college and the mom never behaved that way again. Neither did all the parents who witnessed the incident. Lesson learned!

I think many of the customs that "we" have decided are what indicates good sportsmanship in cheer are absurd. (We still have to try to adhere to them, however.)
Just curious - what other customs are you referring to?

I know recently someone posted on a different thread about teams standing to applaud the first place team and potentially taking the moment away from the winning team. Our gym did that last year - as a sportsman gesture.

Pet peeve of mine: People who smugly point at others for being poor sports - and then can't get to the message boards fast enough to talk about it. Calling someone out here is a far worse offense, IMO, than showing happiness at the wrong moment in the "heat of battle".

Really? Because when a child falls, and the child hears people in an arena cheer about it, I think the child's feelings are slightly more hurt than an adult's might be.
Remind me to smugly laugh at your struggling Mini. Would that be alright?

I think that if you cheer for another teams fall it says a lot about your team, if the only way you can win a competition is if another team falls, then clearly your not that good since you need to rely on that happening. Obviously it expands your chances of winning, but if you cheer for that fall you were probably uncertain of your teams ability going into the competition. Just saying you shouldn't have to cheer for their failure if you believe your team really is that good, because you would have beat them even if they hit everything.SO the parents who cheer for other teams falls must believe their child's team isn't good enough to beat them. Does that make sense?

Just curious - what other customs are you referring to?

I know recently someone posted on a different thread about teams standing to applaud the first place team and potentially taking the moment away from the winning team. Our gym did that last year - as a sportsman gesture.

I posted that. I also clarified that I felt it was rude to stand to applaud and then remain standing. It is good sportsmanship to applaud and then sit down. I am referring to the same competition that the poster from Hot Cheer is talking about, so maybe he/she saw it, too?

And for the record, I have never seen Hot Cheer be anything but good sports. I think that maybe you notice your own gym doing things that others don't.

I'm not surprised about the topic of Pittsburgh cheerleading being brought up here.. That's where I started cheerleading and it is a whoooolle different world. Cheerleading is hardcore in Pittsburgh, and I know EXACTLY what gym and program is being discussed.

I know that cheering and clapping for a team as they fall is terrible, but I can understand how this happened. There is a lot of term oil between the two gyms from many reasons. So it's not right in any way, but I can sorta understand it happening.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

Back