All-Star Poor Sportsmanship At Cheer Events

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

i think Poor sportsmanship on the internet is a way bigger issue than this? i get your point...but i dont think its as serious as you think it is.

I did'nt take it as OP was bashing her program. OP saw behaviors that did not mimic they way we all feel our "program" may/claim to be and asked for opinions about it. If OP is guilty of bashing program than we ALL our guilty of the same thing.
We all have/do the same thing, whether its in the parent only, coaches only, vent, etc only a few of us have their programs name as part of their user name. OP clearly saw what is a problem in our sport in her own program and wanted to discuss.

How many owners would truly follow through and address this in their program immediately if 1 parent brought it to their attention especially if coaches were included in this behavior??

I have seen gym owners be giving info about a situation that needs to be address and the first step would be to go and talk to 1/2 seasoned veteran parents/team moms and if they get confirmation from them, then they might move on to coaches and if they co-sign on the info they deem it necessary to maybe address it.

I took it that BlueCat was referencing the whole 'A plague upon your houses if you even BLINK when the 2nd place team is called and you know you won first.' I know he's repeatedly spoken about how he doesn't care when a team cheers knowing they beat one of his teams. I never thought he meant he doesn't care if yyou laugh when an athlete falls.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

Just curious - what other customs are you referring to?

I know recently someone posted on a different thread about teams standing to applaud the first place team and potentially taking the moment away from the winning team. Our gym did that last year - as a sportsman gesture.

i know one biggie on the board seems to be the team who will obviously be winning first place starting their celebration when the second place team is announced - thus overshadowing that 2nd place team and not giving them their moment. there are people on both sides of this fence, but it has been known to cause a heated debate here and there

2. Not everyone. I'm way over here on the West Coast and have zero knowledge of any of it. :)

as someone who does not live in pittsburgh, i have a feeling it has something to do with some fire vs. water ;) (and if i'm wrong i literally have no idea what this thread is even talking about)

I still don't see it as bashing HotCheer. Everyone has stupid people in their program that do stupid things. ACE had two mommas get in a fist fight at Cheersport. You think it's crowded at the exit from the floor? A fist fight will fix that right up!

Do I think ACE is awful because of it? No! And I don't think HotCheer is awful because of this, true or not. If it's true, I promise you the owners are getting it fixed. If it's not true, then karma will take care of it.

Shouldn't necessarily stop the weekly discussion of sportsmanship. BTW, anyone that hasn't posted on this thread saying they are in favor of good sportsmanship, I'm assuming your opinion has changed since last week and you're now against it.

I still don't see it as bashing HotCheer. Everyone has stupid people in their program that do stupid things. ACE had two mommas get in a fist fight at Cheersport. You think it's crowded at the exit from the floor? A fist fight will fix that right up!

Do I think ACE is awful because of it? No! And I don't think HotCheer is awful because of this, true or not. If it's true, I promise you the owners are getting it fixed. If it's not true, then karma will take care of it.

Shouldn't necessarily stop the weekly discussion of sportsmanship. BTW, anyone that hasn't posted on this thread saying they are in favor of good sportsmanship, I'm assuming your opinion has changed since last week and you're now against it.

Wellll, I don't know, a good momma fist fight is pretty darn entertaining! :eek:

I saw something similar last season with a particular mom in my program. She danced a jig when the second place team was announced and it wasn't our kids. It was, IMHO, uncalled for.
I will admit though, we had a bit of a rivalry going with another team over a placement that we felt was home cooking and when one of their flyers fell at a competition later in the season it literally took every ounce of restraint I had to NOT cheer. I did get to look at the scores and found out the fall deduction didn't matter my CP's team would have won regardless. In all honesty, I felt bad about it and I hope the coach told her it didn't matter that she fell.

Last edited:
When cheer has a "defensive line" to cheer for then it will be appropriate. In other words when I can show up, sit in front, and throw nerf balls at the flyers...we can all cheer for the stunt falling.
I didn't take this as Hot Cheer being a bad program...if you can honestly say you have never gotten excited when an opposing team has dropped then your a better woman then me. Every gym has bad apples and judging a whole program because of a few is ridiculous.

When cheer has a "defensive line" to cheer for then it will be appropriate. In other words when I can show up, sit in front, and throw nerf balls at the flyers...we can all cheer for the stunt falling.

OMG! A new time filler to take the place of mom dance offs or jammy :D

Back