All-Star Possible Solution For Mental Block?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

May 25, 2014
Here's a scenario: athlete has been working towards a standing tuck for months at the gym they have grown up in. During a class, a coach does not spot enough and the athlete busts. As a result, the athlete does not trust the coach anymore and is scared to throw the skill with anybody else for many months to come. The athlete has not shown any improvement after those months. The athlete chooses to leave the gym and go to another, bigger gym for a fresh start. Would this help with a mental block? Any other ideas?

Every mental block is different. The spreading philosophy is that if the athlete isn't able to do the skill without a considerate spot, they weren't ready in the first place. Sometimes switching to a new coach who will reteach proper technique and do drills that reinforce confidence can help.

I have watched my CP react differently coach to coach in what she will and will not attempt depending on who they are. With one, she won't even consider throwing a full spotted BHS, with another she'll not only throw her BHS without complaint but will work on tuck drills, so my guess is it might, but since each mental block is different you really won't know until you try it.

Here is my daughters story

Kayla had a double by 9 (shes 16 now) so back then that was pretty impressive. She also had an arabian to double.

When choreography was rolling around her gym she was at gave her a piece of paper with what they wanted her to have for the routine. It was wayyyyy pushing her for her just being 9....

The next day she had her normal weekly private. Kayla would not throw her tumbling. She cried and cried and ran across the floor and just couldnt do it...

So for 2 years she stayed at that gym... never throwing anything but a standing tuck. No running tumbling at all and no standing tumbling other than a standing back.

When her team would tumble at practice coaches would tell her to go work on jumps.... she had to beg pretty much for a spot if she wanted to TRY and tumble.

After 2 years of heartbreak and crying and frustrations we decided to leave that gym and go to another....

Every practice a coach would stand with kayla and spot her ever time she attempted to go.

Baby steps
In about 3 months she was throwing
Round off doubles.

She eventually started doing standing back handsprings again.

To this day kayla will not throw a running back handspring. She will throw punch front round off doubles but not have a back handspring in it....

We are still working on that...again babysteps are better than zero tumbling.

So your answer from me

Yes I believe 100 percent if the coach is annoyed by blocks or doesnt believe in them your kid will never have the courage to try and train her brain to tumble again....

You need to find a different atmosphere for her to tumble in. Now switching gyms is up to u... but just getting her with people who support her situation is the best possible way to start over coming a block.

Everyone is different. Every block is different.

Do not threaten or try to bribe your kid to throw their tumbling. IT WONT WORK.

they dont choose this. This brain is not letting them. They punish themselves enough so make sure you are being supportive and not hendering their progress by negativity.

They will tumble when ready.

Kayla says if anyone needs to talk shes available and just to message her on Facebook (kayla mauro).

Good luck!!!

[QUOTE="TXcheermom, post: 911908, member:

You need to find a different atmosphere for her to tumble in. Now switching gyms is up to u... but just getting her with people who support her situation is the best possible way to start over coming a block.

they dont choose this. This brain is not letting them. They punish themselves enough so make sure you are being supportive and not hendering their progress by negativity.
[/QUOTE]

Yes! A supportive and patient coach and a supportive and patient parent makes all the difference. Great advice!

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Support and patience--wonderful advice! You may have seen these articles before, but for anyone who may be doing a search in the future on mental blocks:

Debbie Love

Sahil M.

Trusting the coaches to spot safely and as needed, to me, is huge. If my CP doesn't trust someone to keep her safe, I'd take it seriously. Whether or not that means switching gyms is really something only y'all can know. I do believe that I wouldn't want her working with any coach who doesn't make his/her athletes' safety top priority.

I hope that the athlete in question has a smooth road back into safe and happy tumbling. It's definitely a huge life lesson working positively through something like this. Tumbling, while seemingly so much about the physical, has such a huge mental component that shouldn't be underestimated or discounted by anyone. Good luck!!!

Yes I believe 100 percent if the coach is annoyed by blocks or doesnt believe in them your kid will never have the courage to try and train her brain to tumble again....

I cannot ditto this section enough. Sometimes a different coach at your gym can help but it sounds like you have tired that. Sometimes you need a complete clean slate. Thats what it took for my CP. Found a coach who refused to give up on her or let her give up on herself and has been so positive with her celebrating every small success along the way. Its amazing what just one little positive comment can do for them to allow them to trust again.

Latest posts

Back