All-Star #prayforsydney

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Should a high number of catastrophic injuries mean we are a sport?

• Total voters
Aug 2, 2010
This has been a real popular hash tag on twitter and there is a lot of love and support for this j5 girl..
In addition, Everyone keeps posting how catastrophic injuries legitimize us as a sport.. Which is something I have said in the past myself to defend cheerleading.

I saw a post by Thecheerpolice that got me thinking..

Just because we have a high rate of injuries should that be a defense for us being a sport?

I am praying for sydney and hope she recovers well so this is nothing against her..

i personally do not think the amount of injuries is anything to be boasting about let alone a reason our sport is legit or not if anything it tells people outside the cheer world how brutal what we do really is therefore they become more and more against it, what parent wants to put their child into a sport if they find out theres a death rate, high rate of broken bones, fractured ribs and so on, now i know people will read this and automatically attack and say "but football.. hockey.. skateboarding...whatever" have high injury rates and people praise them why shouldnt cheer get the same, the reason, we have no padding on our shoulders no helmets on our heads we practice in sports bras t-shirts and tennis shoes and unless you want to see our sport change for the better i think we should deter from saying "sandy, suzie, bobbi got black eyes, pulled tendons and ribs from doing x,y,z" and more towards the athleticism of what we do

sorry if this is gibberish, im studying for an art history final and my brain is short circuiting haha

I've tweeted now 3 times about how stupid it is to call a sport a sport because of injuries.
(Not making light of this injury), but I can go deaf in one ear from knitting... Knitting is not a sport.
I can break my arm opening an oven, cooking is not a sport.

I'm deaf already so meh and I've had tons of injuries..I don't think injuries make something a sport ..injuries happen regardless..walking isn't a sport but ppl still have gotten injured while walking lol

I'm exhausted by all the tweets about how "XXXXX broke this, YYYYY broke that, still think cheer isn't a sport?"

If this isn't the most stupid argument in history, I don't know what is.

INJURIES DO NOT MAKE SOMETHING A SPORT!!!!

Please understand that and convince others.

Injuries, especially the more serious ones, are an EMBARRASSMENT to the sport. We should be doing what we can to maintain the integrity, creativity and athleticism of the sport while ELIMINATING these injuries.

If we don't, you'll all be tweeting "remember cheerleading and how much fun it was until the government shut us down because ZZZZZ died?"

Am I the only one who dosent know what happened?
A girl on J5 hurt herself during her toss (not sure exactly how that went down) and she fractured her skull, lost part of her hearing and has a concousin. Another girl in the stunt group whose name is Cambrie (I believe) also got a concusion during that same collision.

I've tweeted now 3 times about how stupid it is to call a sport a sport because of injuries.
(Not making light of this injury), but I can go deaf in one ear from knitting... Knitting is not a sport.
I can break my arm opening an oven, cooking is not a sport.

I agree that injuries do not make a sport....but in what part of knitting do you involve your ear? :confused:

It makes me sad that people think that the amount of injuries cheer has makes it a sport. You do not want to use injuries to get recognition in any way. If anything injuries, even accidents like what happened with this little girl, pushes the sport back not forward. Safety is something that is important to a sport and if people keep seeing people using each injury that happens as a reason to be a sport others will never agree. I really wish that those that get upset about people not thinking cheer is a sport would focus on trying to help the sport become recognized by doing things needed to achieve such status.
You didn't hear Louisville, ESPN, or the NCAA posting after Anthony Conner had a career ending injury that it made football more of a sport. If anything it brings up safety and how to make it better.

A girl on J5 hurt herself during her toss (not sure exactly how that went down) and she fractured her skull, lost part of her hearing and has a concousin. Another girl in the stunt group whose name is Cambrie (I believe) also got a concusion during that same collision.
Oh my god, that horrible

Above they said she's expected to make a full recovery, so I assume she didn't lose the hearing.

a lot of people can temporarily lose hearing esp if you hit your head ...and even if she did lose her hearing its not the end of the world to be partially deaf

a lot of people can temporarily lose hearing esp if you hit your head ...and even if she did lose her hearing its not the end of the world to be partially deaf
It isn't the end of the world but it's still scary and I cannot even begin to imagine how she's feeling.

Back