All-Star Pre Competition Games And Activities

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Apr 16, 2010
I'm a new coach and am looking for some ideas for fun games/activities to do the week of competition. All practices will include warming up and throwing the routine but that only takes so long! I also want to get the girls pumped up for the upcoming competition and more bonded before they take the mat. Also if anyone has cute goody bag ideas-- I'm thinking candy with a little note. i.e. Pixie stix so you stick all your tumbling. I'd love to hear any ideas you guys have!

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

I think you won't have as much "free" time as you think. My cp's team conditions forever, warms up forever and does full outs forever. There's no time for games at any practice.

i love doing runs where everybody messes up on purpose, its sorta like the no hands thing but it REALLY helps getting out gitters before or after a practice of full outs before competition heres a video of SSX to show what i mean

Not really fun: but you should have a practice before comp where stuff goes wrong on purpose to teach them to keep going. Like turn off the music, or make it skip so they have to keep going without it.. Or tell a girl to make her shoes/bows come off and not tell everyone else to see how they react/ if they can continue without freaking out..

You can have different themes for the practices or just have them wear a certain color (one day coordinate with their stunt group, one day all wear pink, etc). Maybe a crazy sock or hair day.... Just try to give the parents enough notice and keep it simple so that they're not going crazy trying to find something for the practice last minute. The week before a comp - especially if it is a travel comp - is stressful enough for us parents :)

Not really fun: but you should have a practice before comp where stuff goes wrong on purpose to teach them to keep going. Like turn off the music, or make it skip so they have to keep going without it.. Or tell a girl to make her shoes/bows come off and not tell everyone else to see how they react/ if they can continue without freaking out..

This is what i'm doing. They run full out and i turn the music off, skip it, or just take a girl out without anyone knowing (just grab her in one of the transitions) to see how they react and to talk about what to do if this happens at competitions.
Oh, and sometimes i stare at a girl the whole time - it really gets some totally off.
One day long ago, when i was competing, i smiled at a judge (they were sitting right in front of the mat :-/ ) and he smiled back and i was so - i don't know, i just forgot (!) the dance moves and totally messed up. Really embarassing back then ;-)
The no hands thing sounds like fun, i guess i'll try it.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

another thing thats also funny to look at is when one stunt group at a time goes on the mat and performs the whole routine where theyre supposed to you have all these gaps and bodies missing so you can see technique wise what needs to be fixed and nobody usually knows where they are going

We have a 'cup o' fun' which is decorated with our team colours and feathers, glitter, etc. with a bunch of slips of paper in it. Each slip has either two sections of the routine or a silly round on it. IE they do baskets and pyramid full out but mock everything else (dance always runs). Our last practice before we go to our last competition of the year is always 'The Last Battle before the War Begins' with an army theme!

Some other examples from the cup are:
Flyers and Backspots versus Bases - 2 rounds of the routine, each watch eachother
Jumps and Pyramid
Eyes closed
Half team vs half team - split by stunt groups
Facials only - stand in front of mirror and go through routine in mind but do facials for whole routine

Lots of fun and really shows who knows what they are doing!

Back