All-Star Pressure On Small Gyms

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jul 10, 2011
this goes out to all my fellow small gym cheerleaders/parents!
is it me, or do you always feel like competing as a small gym-when there's no small gym division-against all the big name gyms puts a lot of pressure on us to make a statement? The big name gyms are usually just 'expected' to win when there's a team you've never heard of in the division. How do you guys deal with the pressure?

While I appreciate the small gym division at cheersport and nca nationals, I don't feel like it is necessary on the local scene. JMO because I feel like no matter how big your program is your coach or owner should be able to decide the correct division for you. I know that when I do team selections I look to see if my team can beat or hang with the best teams in the state or country. If not then they should not be in that division.

is it me, or do you always feel like competing as a small gym-when there's no small gym division-against all the big name gyms puts a lot of pressure on us to make a statement? The big name gyms are usually just 'expected' to win when there's a team you've never heard of in the division. How do you guys deal with the pressure?

Girl, you're crazy. You all have done well this season. If anything, it tickles me to to win at a big competition when you aren't a "favorite". There are only a few real favorites (ACX, Cheer Corps) that compete at the same competitions as our gyms. Other than that, it can be anybody's game and you just don't know how it will end ;)

Girl, you're crazy. You all have done well this season. If anything, it tickles me to to win at a big competition when you aren't a "favorite". There are only a few real favorites (ACX, Cheer Corps) that compete at the same competitions as our gyms. Other than that, it can be anybody's game and you just don't know how it will end ;)
nevermind, I know what gym youre with ;)

I can totally appreciate this. The pressure on small gyms is the toughest its ever been. Back when gyms like top gun, world cup, california all stars, georgia all stars and many others started, all stars was new and there wasn't as many choices and competitions weren't as cut throat. They were competitive and hard, but today small gyms don't get the benefit of making mistakes and going through that crazy up and down roller coaster ride. Bottom line is parents and athletes look at results, and unfortunately winning is at the top of that list. I think there should be small gym divisions at all major national championships. I think a small gym definitly has to make sure they stay current on all trends and be as competitive as they can be.

I can totally appreciate this. The pressure on small gyms is the toughest its ever been. Back when gyms like top gun, world cup, california all stars, georgia all stars and many others started, all stars was new and there wasn't as many choices and competitions weren't as cut throat. They were competitive and hard, but today small gyms don't get the benefit of making mistakes and going through that crazy up and down roller coaster ride. Bottom line is parents and athletes look at results, and unfortunately winning is at the top of that list. I think there should be small gym divisions at all major national championships. I think a small gym definitly has to make sure they stay current on all trends and be as competitive as they can be.
I agree, big competitions should have small gym division, but small gyms should have a choice to be in them or not. I know the year before I joined my new gym, they drove all the way to atlantic city for all levels and competed in the small gym division. They did very well. The Youth 2 won (along with other teams.), and then they also won online. But that was the small gym division. Last year we went to atlanta and went big gym. Youth 2 won again, and also won online. So either way, they were the best. It was good to get in a big gym division and take it all knowing we deserved it! *all of our teams minus our senior 4 won at all levels :)

i work for a small gym. and i feel, as long as you know how to max out a score sheet, teach correct technique in everything your athletes perform, put the team at the correct level, then you shouldnt have a reason to be pressured. if your team is coached correctly, any small gym can look like a big gym... just because they are a bigger gym does not mean they have the amount of talent and passion in their teams!

I appreciated the small gym division our first two years. My athletes were well trained but had no in house older/experienced talent to emulate onstage. Once we found our footing in competition performance wise I stopped worrying about small and large (team size-wise and gym-size wise). I am confident that we will do well in any group. My mini 1 teams have out scored junior and senior teams (good ones too, not just pitiful sad sack teams that show up unprepared). If we can beat the EP's scoresheet we can beat any team.

I appreciated the small gym division our first two years. My athletes were well trained but had no in house older/experienced talent to emulate onstage. Once we found our footing in competition performance wise I stopped worrying about small and large (team size-wise and gym-size wise). I am confident that we will do well in any group. My mini 1 teams have out scored junior and senior teams (good ones too, not just pitiful sad sack teams that show up unprepared). If we can beat the EP's scoresheet we can beat any team.
I quite like this statement.

I think sometimes the pressure makes the athletes feel like they don't have a chance and other times it pushes them to do better. The team I coach actually had this pressure at NCA this year and, after a pep talk, it pushed them to give the best performance of the season on day 2 moving them to top 3, beating some pretty big gyms.
I think that teaching skills with great technique is the key to small gyms being competitive with large gyms. If the technique is taught and, like cupietqt said, you work the score-sheet it is possible to be competitive.

Back