Private Lesson Supervision

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Going along with that, I think 99.9% of all cheer coaches are great! Yes, bad apples spoil the bunch for the rest of us, but so many great people in this industry and doing it for all the right reasons. Thats why we have to remember these rules are there NOT just to protect the kids themselves, but also the coaches. It only takes one crazy parent upset her kid isnt point flyer on junior level 3.14 to make up some claim to get rid of the coach they don't like.

Haha...junior level pi....

What about a gay coach with a female athlete - Is that a huge deal?

How many "gay" people do you know that have at one point swung over to the opposite sex on occasion?? I have heard SO many gay people talk about those moments in their lives that they were bisexual or that they got drunk and was with a girl that night. So for me, there's never a time when it's appropriate. No matter how gay the coach is. haha

How many "gay" people do you know that have at one point swung over to the opposite sex on occasion?? I have heard SO many gay people talk about those moments in their lives that they were bisexual or that they got drunk and was with a girl that night. So for me, there's never a time when it's appropriate. No matter how gay the coach is. haha

To me an adult, especially an authority figure, being with a child with no other adult present is just wildly inappropriate and putting yourself in an unsafe situation, it's not a sex/gender/orientation issue, is it impossible for you to imagine a middle/high school girl getting upset and then bending the truth a little? And then just her CLAIM that you did or set something inappropriate could, in this business, forever tarnish your reputation. I did private lessons with a girl who could only come at a time when the gym was closed, but the gym knew about it and her mom stayed and it was as simple as that

I think there should always be more than those two people in the gym, many more. It depends what the gym's policy is on open gym, but if it's possible to do privates while there's people in open gym going on then that would be the best option. Either that, or a practice with a different coach. Security camera's are also a good idea. I feel like there should never be two people alone in a gym doing privates.

To me an adult, especially an authority figure, being with a child with no other adult present is just wildly inappropriate and putting yourself in an unsafe situation, it's not a sex/gender/orientation issue, is it impossible for you to imagine a middle/high school girl getting upset and then bending the truth a little? And then just her CLAIM that you did or set something inappropriate could, in this business, forever tarnish your reputation. I did private lessons with a girl who could only come at a time when the gym was closed, but the gym knew about it and her mom stayed and it was as simple as that

Oh I agree KB. I was just responding to Kyle's question about sexual orientation. You can't say it's okay for a gay person to be alone with the opposite sex just because they are gay. I guarantee you that wouldn't fly in a court of law if God forbid someone made an accusation. Your defense couldn't be, "well I would never do that, I'm gay". You know what I mean? In order to protect everyone, there should always be at least one other adult around at all times. I think we all pretty much agree on that. Along with some really good security cameras.

Yeah we just got cameras put in our gym... I'm not 100% sure but I think it's because Brandon and Roger were holding down the Orange fliers and cutting their hair into bobs...

KB_Legend said:
Yeah we just got cameras put in our gym... I'm not 100% sure but I think it's because Brandon and Roger were holding down the Orange fliers and cutting their hair into bobs...

Lol!!! I'm curious because James and I have considered cameras... Are the cameras being monitored in the office or is the video being saved on a loop? If it is being saved, for how long? I thought most of them dump the old video after a time period, so what if someone waits a week or two or three to make an accusation? In other words, are the cameras there to police the coaches or defend them if there is an accussation? Does that make sense?

Lol!!! I'm curious because James and I have considered cameras... Are the cameras being monitored in the office or is the video being saved on a loop? If it is being saved, for how long? I thought most of them dump the old video after a time period, so what if someone waits a week or two or three to make an accusation? In other words, are the cameras there to police the coaches or defend them if there is an accussation? Does that make sense?

You can set them to do what ever you need them to do. It will require you to have a bigger Hard Drive or back up to disk. I would recomend that each day be backed up and keep them for at least a month.

I don't know the answers to those questions for our gym specifically but I do know that it is not constantly monitored, I BELIEVE it saves a recording but I do not know for how long

you can save as long as you want, it all depends on how much money you want to invest. you just have to figure out how long a window you need to figure out if something went wrong. if somethign went down 6 months ago... yea the videos will not be saved.

IMO there should always be two adults present when there is a private lesson. one representing the gym and one the child. One charge - whether true or false could severely impact several lives and the viability of the gym. Just as a coach could be inappropiate, a child (usually teen) or a parent could have a crush on the coach and if their advances are spurned, retaliate. Unfortunately back in my gymnastic days I have seen the child and the parent turn on the once could do no wrong coach and he had no one to back his side of the story. By the time the truth finally came out the damage was already done to the coach, the gym and to the child. If a gym chooses to use security cameras instead of a person always being physically present then they need to be on, regularly checked, monitored and recordings saved for whatever time period the statute of limitations in your area could allow a case to be filed. This is to protect the gym just as much as it is to protect the child and the coach.

I completely agree. I think the cameras should be an extra precaution - not a substitution for another adult being present. We always have at least one other adult in the gym and have floor to ceiling windows in the parent area. We have considered adding cameras as extra protection for everyone involved.

Back