All-Star Privates: Can A Cheerleader Be Successful Without Them?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

They just take advantage of tumbling classes and her cp is very driven.

I truly believe this is the crux of it. If an athlete is driven to perform a skill, they'll do whatever it takes to get it. It may need clean-up, or it may need some instruction about how to perform it correctly, but that doesn't always equal "privates." I don't think privates are imperative to the success of a cheerleader.

I think the 'necessity' of privates is also based on practice/schedule structure, besides what others have said (drive of athlete, natural ability, how they work in a one-on-one setting). Depending on how much time is scheduled in during practice for working tumbling and how often they attend those pesky summer practices can really make a difference, in my opinion. Also, it depends on if the gym has set tumbling classes for athletes (I think Bluecat mentioned CA has this), open gyms, or classes offered and how often they have these things. If open gym is once a month on Fridays and you/your CP only goes but they're not focused/they need more direct work, then I think a private might be more beneficial..where as if an athlete has options of classes, open gyms, and set tumbling classes then I think privates are better for if the athlete is struggling.

Our gym offers classes, however, we live an hour away so it is a 3 hour commitment for a 1 hour class. The place she does privates is 10 minutes away and $20 for 30 minutes (trust me I know how golden that is and like rent control we won't leave until they cart our carcasses out!) So for me $25 in gas and 3 hours for a "free" class or $20 negligible gas and less then an hour. You can guess the other reason we stick to privates! ;)

Our gym offers classes, however, we live an hour away so it is a 3 hour commitment for a 1 hour class. The place she does privates is 10 minutes away and $20 for 30 minutes (trust me I know how golden that is and like rent control we won't leave until they cart our carcasses out!) So for me $25 in gas and 3 hours for a "free" class or $20 negligible gas and less then an hour. You can guess the other reason we stick to privates! ;)

This is similar to why we do privates too. Although we do them at our same gym. But the classes are on opposite nights than her practices, so I'd have to drive an hour each way and pay a few dollars for the class...or I can spend the same amount of money I'd spend getting there and back on an "off" day and take a private after practice. Plus she does better with privates. So I'm really spending the same money, but getting something better.

The athletes at our gym have a mandatory tumbling class each week on top of practice. Many of us camp out at the gym and take more then one a week. This is how our schedule looks: M & Sat practice, T/Th/Sun tumbling (and there is 2 classes on T/Th). So technically we can do 7.5 hours of free tumbling a week, with the gym expanding they are asking us to chill out so they can make sure everyone can get into a class but once everyone is settled it's game on!
One of the other things that has helped my cp is tumbling with the junior 5 friends she's made. For a long time she didn't think it was possible for someone her age to do more then a back handspring, she would watch videos on Youtube but it's different when your 11 year old friend just did a double double next to you! Some of her best tumbling comes from those sessions, she pushes herself and they cheer for her like she just did last pass at Worlds!

How does everyone feel about privates?
i feel that they are very helpful but not necessary
Are CP's who don't have them at a disadvantage? i think as long as a cheerleader can get into the gym during extra time just to practice, it will still be beneficial, and i am sure coaches would be willing to help out even if she/he isnt in a private
How much is too much to pay for a skill? at our gym im pretty sure we pay $30 for 30 mins
What about the families that can't afford a private? tumbling classes are usually cheaper and even though not 1 on 1, they still help,
What about families that can't fit them into their busy schedules? just try coming in a little earlier or stay a little after practice
Do coaches tend to bond more with the CP's that they work with in a private? yeahhh,

This is a very interesting thread. My 2 daughters share a 30 minute private with the Owner of our gym. It is 20 dollars a child. Since I have 2 girls I end up spending $40.oo for their private. I have seen them grow & improve so much since they started doing privates with her. Their confidence has also grown tremendously. They get really excited about their privates. So, for us the privates are definitely worth it. I will say there are some girls who are born with amazing natural talent (it reminds me of a genius kids in school) who learn tumbling at an incredible rate with no extra tumble classes or privates. It doesn't seem to be common, but it is sure awesome to watch them tumble!

I take privates once a week for a half an hour, and they really help. I think you would be fine without them, progression might be a bit slower.

I think there are definitely times where an athlete can greatly benefit from one-on-one attention & training. I think that if an athlete has tried working to get a skill through the team's practices/coaching, regular classes, and personal effort and still isn't just quite getting it, then it's a good time to add in a few privates or semi-privates. Sometimes working with one coach and focusing on just that one thing/skill can help an athlete fix whatever has been holding them back.

And I really like the semi-privates too - especially when the athletes are roughly about the same level and each bring something to the table. It does help push each one to work a little harder.

All that said, I don't think that privates set one cheerleader apart from another. There's lots of factors that go into a successful cheerleader. Privates are just one variable in the big equation.

Are CP's who don't have them at a disadvantage? No because some kids will always catch on faster. My little one didn't need them until she started learning her level 3 skills and didn't have them all the time. Now that she has moved on to level 4 skills, she has privates more often. Same with flying privates, only a couple last year as a level 3 flyer on a mini team, this year they are asking for more difficult skills so she will take a few more this season.
How much is too much to pay for a skill? I didn't like paying for privates for just back handsprings so she didn't do privates, so really it's what you feel is worth it.
What about the families that can't afford a private? Go in with another family to cut the cost.
What about families that can't fit them into their busy schedules? See if your coach/gym owner is okay with going elsewhere that can accomodate your schedule.
Do coaches tend to bond more with the CP's that they work with in a private? Probably so.

Are CP's who don't have them at a disadvantage?
How much is too much to pay for a skill?
What about the families that can't afford a private?
What about families that can't fit them into their busy schedules?
Do coaches tend to bond more with the CP's that they work with in a private?

Not neccesarily. It all depends on how the gym sets up their tumbling classes and open gyms, the quality and quantity of instructors availible and most importantly the drive of the athlete. An athlete that is motivated to get their tumbling that has the head and heart to learn will usually do so regardless.

Ugh major pet peeve. If I could put a price on a skill to pay for it, I could retire in two years. I have no desire to "milk" a parent for private lessons. I give free lessons away every month and will often do lessons at no charge for those that are struggling with lost skills, coming back from injury or are in true financial binds. I also give frequent private discounts for those who dont wait till tryouts or when they about to get place on a lower level team for not having a skill before getting privates. Also keep in mind you don't just pay for a skill. You pay for the building, the utilities which many gyms take a cut of whatever the private is. Even if you pay the instructor directly he or she may be paying the gym for the right to use the building. So that overhead if charged should also be factored into how much you pay. The quality of the instructor also matter. Do you just want someone who will say do it again or joke around 1/2 of the private without no learning taking place or someone that can actually fix what the problems are and prepare them for the next skills they need to learn?

While I give away privates through raffles or just telling people to come in, you gotta be careful. If you do it for Suzie, then you know Betty, Jane, and Tyekwandaleshia wants it too. If you don't give it to them then they will cry favoritism and the drama begins. Again keep in mind that the instructor may be paying to use the building so he or she gotta know at what price point they have to stop giving lessons away. My thing is if you can't afford it, pull me to the side and talk to me privately. If I can help you and it does not go against the policy of the gym I will but you gotta keep your mouth shut. I will work with anybodies budget but if you run your mouth the deal is off and you just ruined it for countless other kids in the same position as yours.

Scheduling issues and conflicts can usually be worked out if you let me know.

I would say that bonding is usually better but a lot of that depends on the coach, parent, and cheerleader. If you see it as a simple pay for service and the coach does as well, then probably not. If you see it as an opportunity to build positive relationships and great overall technique beyond the learning of one skill then probably so.

I think the answer to this questions depends on the child. Some kids do great with one on one instruction and others do not.

• How does everyone feel about privates?
  • I like them; my daughter likes them, but I would never tell someone that their child couldn't be successful without them. Like everything else, you do what is best for you & your family. My daughter did privates once or twice a week, because she enjoyed them, we could afford them & she learned and preformed better in privates, then she did in a group setting.
  • Are CP's who don't have them at a disadvantage? No. When my daughter was on a gymnastic team, there was a girl who never took a private in her life, but was one of the best gymnast on the team. And she wasn't a kid, who skills came naturally to her, but she worked hard in group practices. Privates were actually bad for her, because she felt like she was being singled out & it hurt her skills.
  • How much is too much to pay for a skill? It depends...I once said I would never pay more than $60 an hour for a private class, until my daughter fell sick and had to take 3 months off from training & when she came back, she was months behind the other girls, had lost muscle & had lost skills. To help her get back to were she was before she got sick, my husband & I, allowed her to take 3-5 privates a week, at a gym 2 1/2 hours away, at the price of $100 a private...Was it a lot of money? Yes; Was it worth it? Absolutely;Would I do it again? In a heartbeat...Again, whatever works for your family, do it.
  • What about the families that can't afford a private? I believe if a child really wants/needs a private, that as a parent, I would save money every month & then offer it as a birthday/Christmas gift. You may not be able to give a private every week or even every month, but maybe you can give one every 6 months or once a year...but that is just my POV.
  • What about families that can't fit them into their busy schedules? Either cut another activity or give a private once every few months.
  • Do coaches tend to bond more with the CP's that they work with in a private? Yes & no...It's human nature to bond with someone you see more.So if Coach A sees Susie 4 times a week and he sees Sally 2 times a week, it naturally to bond with Susie more. But every case is different.

Back