All-Star Proactive Or Reactive With School Missed For Cheer?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

That is not entirely true actually. Each province has their own number. For example, just a few months ago in some Ontario school districts (not sure if it's district wide or province wide) student attendance hours were bumped to 110 hours due to the high school strike that happened. Which means that if a student doesn't spend at least 110 hours in any give class they do not get the credit/grade because it's seen as though they were present long enough to have really learned anything.
How long are those classes? My classes are an hour long, and I go to school 170-180 days a year (not sure entirely) so I could but that 110 hour minimum and still miss quite a few days of school (my school district counts full days, not hours. Weird).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm pretty sure 110 hours is the set amount of hours for each class in a semester... In order to achieve that you wouldn't be able to mis a single class.
" In Ontario, a high school credit requires 110 hours of instruction."
"A cooperative education course, which includes both a classroom component and a placement component, must be scheduled for at least the same number of hours as the number of hours required for any one of the related curriculum courses on which it must be based – that is, for a minimum of 110 hours per credit."

Due to family members being effected by the strike and fearing that they would not receive their credits to graduate, I became very aware of hour requirements. I believe 110 hours were actually the old requirements and they put in a bill to add more hours to prevent another strike like this one.
Source
Another source (pdf from the website of the government of Ontario)

" In Ontario, a high school credit requires 110 hours of instruction."
Due to family members being effected by the strike and fearing that they would not receive their credits to graduate, I became very aware of hour requirements. I believe 110 hours were actually the old requirements and they put in a bill to add more hours to prevent another strike like this one.
Source
I think that just means that the teacher has to deliver 110 hours of instruction

How long are those classes? My classes are an hour long, and I go to school 170-180 days a year (not sure entirely) so I could but that 110 hour minimum and still miss quite a few days of school (my school district counts full days, not hours. Weird).

I believe it depends on the school, the school that my family member goes to classes are roughly 75 minutes each

I think that just means that the teacher has to deliver 110 hours of instruction
I ended up editing my post with a better source but I think I saved before you saw it.

"A cooperative education course, which includes both a classroom component and a placement component, must be scheduled for at least the same number of hours as the number of hours required for any one of the related curriculum courses on which it must be based – that is, for a minimum of 110 hours per credit."
This was pertaining to student attendance not teachers and was found on a government document, link

What's the point of a teacher giving 110 hours of instructional time if no one shows up to class anyway? There needs to be a way to keep students in class.

I ended up editing my post with a better source but I think I saved before you saw it.

This was pertaining to student attendance not teachers and was found on a government document, link
This is talking about Co op courses though, which are based strictly on the amount of hours you spend at your placement

This is talking about Co op courses though, which are based strictly on the amount of hours you spend at your placement
This is probably why we have the 110 hour requirement, literacy is an important skill we all must learn.

"...must be scheduled for at least the same number of hours as the number of hours required for any one of the related curriculum courses..."
This part of the sentence means that Co-op placements must be attended to with the same hours as any other class a student may take (math, English, science, what have you) This passage is saying you must go to your co-op for the SAME base amount of hours that you would any of your other classes. This is to keep students from thinking Co-op is any different and to keep them from skipping because they don't think it's as important. If you don't go to your co-op for at least 110 hours you will not get the credit, just like you wouldn't if you didn't go to any other class for at least 110 hours.

This is probably why we have the 110 hour requirement, literacy is an important skill we all must learn.

"...must be scheduled for at least the same number of hours as the number of hours required for any one of the related curriculum courses..."
This part of the sentence means that Co-op placements must be attended to with the same hours as any other class a student may take (math, English, science, what have you) This passage is saying you must go to your co-op for the SAME base amount of hours that you would any of your other classes. This is to keep students from thinking Co-op is any different and to keep them from skipping because they don't think it's as important. If you don't go to your co-op for at least 110 hours you will not get the credit, just like you wouldn't if you didn't go to any other class for at least 110 hours.
Well I couldn't see anyone passing a single class with that requirement, unless they have perfect attendance

Well I couldn't see anyone passing a single class with that requirement, unless they have perfect attendance
Well it's there, it's documented, and people pass every year whether you choose to believe it or not. I have missed many an individual class and full days and have still passed my classes will flying colours.

I don't know what region you live in or what grade you're in, but I'd suggest finding out how many hours you need to be in class to pass. If there was no requirement then technically people could only show up on test/exam days, do well enough to pass, and then get the credit which doesn't seem sensible.

Well it's there, it's documented, and people pass every year whether you choose to believe it or not. I have missed many an individual class and full days and have still passed my classes will flying colours.

I don't know what region you live in or what grade you're in, but I'd suggest finding out how many hours you need to be in class to pass. If there was no requirement then technically people could only show up on test/exam days, do well enough to pass, and then get the credit which doesn't seem sensible.
Actually, in my region that is how it goes. I've graduated so it doesn't really matter to me, but there are tons of kids at my school who show up for class once a week and still get the credit. They definitely did not attend class for 110 hours.

In college I had one class that dropped your grade one letter after 3 absences (Ballet), one where you could miss class but you were totally screwed (Math), one where he didn't take attendance however everything on tests was from the lessons.. I kinda love/hate that teachers are so individual.
I don't know why anyone would miss class in college other than being deathly ill. You are paying for it, why wouldn't you attend every class?

I don't know why anyone would miss class in college other than being deathly ill. You are paying for it, why wouldn't you attend every class?

It is amazing to me how many people skip the maximum amount of classes. And for no reason too. And depending on the class, I'm not sure how they pass because roughly half of what is needed for the tests is lecture material.

I didn't skip much, but only when I knew I could use the time doing other things more important because I didn't learn anything anyways. There was one class per semester I felt like this :p

I skipped my classes regularly :oops:
I didn't skip much, but only when I knew I could use the time doing other things more important because I didn't learn anything anyways. There was one class per semester I felt like this :p
Maybe it was just me then. I pretty much always went to class. It's the same advice I'm giving former-cp for her upcoming college years. Don't skip class, sit in the first 5 rows, and make sure you go to office hours every once in a while even if you don't need to so that the professor knows who you are.

Back