High School Program Format

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Nov 10, 2015
I'm just taking a brief survey.

I'd like to know how many high school programs have a dedicated sideline cheer team and a dedicated competitive cheer team.

I don't mean a competition team chosen out of the sideline program. I'm talking basically a completely separate program.

Whether you coach in the program, cheer in the program, or just know of its existence, please comment below if you know of a program with a separate competitive cheer program.

I think that McCracken county has a system like this. I talked to one of the girls on the squad last year at regionals and she said that she had never cheered a sideline game at her school. They have a team for sideline only and then competition only.

My school has a Varsity, JV and a competition team that is composed of girls from the varsity team.
The last two years we have had two competition teams that were the JV and Varsity teams competing in different size devisions.

We have separate tryouts for sideline and competitive. They're considered different sports. Generally, we have the same girls as sideline, maybe a few girls get cut and maaaaaaybe we'll add a new girl or two if they have enough cheer experience. We wouldn't take a girl that has never cheered before in competitive season, but we'd probably take her for sideline. Sometimes we have a few girls that do sideline and competitive their first year, decide that they hate sideline, and come back for competitive the next year. We don't really like that, but if they keep working on their skills during their off time we're okay with it.

I know public VA schools don't allow girls to compete in the state sanctioned comps unless they cheer a certain amount of football games.
Massachusetts is the same way. I do know there are schools that likely violate that rule for 1 or 2 athletes but there is no way that you could do it with a full team.

Massachusetts is the same way. I do know there are schools that likely violate that rule for 1 or 2 athletes but there is no way that you could do it with a full team.

In a bigger district you could get away with it but my county was so small, everyone knew everyone so if there was a rule broken they'd tell the right people.

For my team we have a JV, varsity, and competition team. The competition team is made up of girls already on either JV or varsity though. In NC we're not allowed to have athletes compete if they're not on a bonafide team as competition is not seen as a sanctioned sport in the state (at least that's how my AD explained it to me). Also almost all of our competitions are through Varsity and in pretty sure Varsity has a ruling that you have to be on a sports team from the school to compete at any of their events.

Last edited:
In Illinois, you must be a sideline cheerleader in order to be on the comp team...however, you do not have to be a comp cheerelader in order to do sidelines.

In Illinois, you must be a sideline cheerleader in order to be on the comp team...however, you do not have to be a comp cheerelader in order to do sidelines.
Unless thats a new rule, I think that might just be your area. When I was in school we had girls who weren't on sideline who did comp.

Are there any rules like this in Pennsylvania?

No. In Pa, PIAA recognizes "competitive spirit" as a sport there are only a few rules (season definition, USA cheer music) and it is basically solely for the purposes of the PIAA Districts & States competitions. They do not recognize sideline cheerleading so there is no control over it nor any concern with how the 2 coexist in the same school.

No. In Pa, PIAA recognizes "competitive spirit" as a sport there are only a few rules (season definition, USA cheer music) and it is basically solely for the purposes of the PIAA Districts & States competitions. They do not recognize sideline cheerleading so there is no control over it nor any concern with how the 2 coexist in the same school.
ohhh ok. ty

We are one team that does both. It would be far easier to be separate, but our AD won't allow it.

I would say of the competitive teams surrounding us, the MAJORITY run as separate teams that don't share athletes. Separate squads, under different coaches, separate tryouts, different uniforms, etc. The competition kids never see an actual game atmosphere. Some of these teams are even gym ran school teams, but that's off topic I guess. Completely different cheer experiences at the same school.

Kentucky's KHSAA bylaws seem to have a similar feel.

We have JV football and basketball cheer teams, varsity football and bball cheer teams and a separate competition team, which is open to anyone interested in trying out. It's like Burger King over here "have it your way!" I typically only have current cheerleaders on comp team though. I have separate uniforms for them too. Once comp season starts, I practice just competition team. By now, the sideline girls know the game format and hoco is almost over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back