All-Star Proposed Age Grid Changes

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Dec 14, 2009
Any commentary here? Thoughts? Any appreciation on how the ages line up with USA Cheer, ICU (Both owned by the same people) and the potential Olympic push?

I won't comment until the proposal is out of the discussion phases, except to say that a minimum age for each division is much needed IMO.
As far as where it was posted, someone posted just a screenshot of ages and levels to a facebook cheer parent page. No comments or explanation. It gave me the impression it was done more to stir up trouble than be helpful.

The proposal says it is a two year plan, so there is no immediate rush or concern as long as that timeline is adhered to. No need to get crazy about it.

As far as gyms go, no matter the size, we can adapt, although it will have have definite negative impact on smaller gyms. Fewer spots for talented younger level athletes that may (or their parents) may not want them on lower level teams with higher level skills. If the time line is held to at least we/they can adjust.

My thoughts now are only about how it lines up with USA Cheer and ICU, which tend not to be discussed much, but play a bigger role in cheerleading than most of us realize. For those who have been long term members on the cheerleading boards will remember the discussions that were had about both of these organizations, where they are located, who runs them, etc.

International Cheer Union

USA Cheer -
Home Page

I think bottom ages are much needed, but that is really the extent of my thoughts at this point. As for the Olympics, I've heard it thrown around since CP entered the sport and I just don't see it as realistic. Not that being on an Olympic team wouldn't be cool, but I'm not really interested in seeing the sport head in that direction.

I haven't seen the age grid, but I don't see the Olympics happening for a very long time. First, we don't have enough countries involved in cheer to make it possible. The IOC wants to see that the sport is being played/competed in around the world (though requirements for winter sports is more relaxed than for summer sports). Secondly, there is too much domination by the US to make it possible. Yes, there are some fantastic teams from other countries, but not enough to match the US. Hockey, for example, was a sport that the IOC as looking to remove to the Canada/USA dominating the sport. Recently, the European teams improvements in their level of play have given hockey a reprieve. Baseball/softball has been dropped, and golf and rugby 7's are only just being re-inroduced in Rio. If more 'established' sports like these are having issues, I can't see cheer making it anytime soon.

Based on my understanding of the proposed age changes, I am 100% for them. Our gym already mostly follows the proposed limits and I think bottom age limits on all teams are a good idea that should have been implemented the same time senior age limits were established. I've never understood why Senior teams were restricted with a minimum age but Tiny-Junior's were not.

I do agree with the commentary on the coaches/gym-owners facebook page that it will cause some restructuring for small gyms but I do not think it will be the demise of small gyms. How many people freaked out about the bottom age limit on senior teams saying it would be the end of their gym? Probably quite a few. And I'm sure some of them did close or lose business but I'm positive based on the industry now that people adapted and were able to keep their doors open.

I haven't seen anyone bring this up yet but I think it is because it's kind of a taboo subject - but I think the big concern would be for flyers. I'm not saying this as a blanket statement for all gyms and all teams, but it appears that flyers are getting younger and younger for all team age groups. Changing the age/size of the majority of flyers would prove to be a change for the teams that are used to using smaller/younger flyers that are younger than the proposed age groups.

**NOTE: I am definitely not saying that younger/smaller flyers are better.

My initial thought is that it's heading in the right direction but I don't know that the minimum age quite right in youth. That level seems to be the most difficult to fill for small gyms, around here, anyway, unless there are younger ones available to fill in. I could see there being a 3 year overlap for those age groups instead of the 2.

When I saw the proposed age grid, I thought of our orthopedic and PT, obviously, they speak only from the view point of young bones, tendons and growth plates. Both of them see many cheerleaders per year and their concern is the continual increase of difficulty each year to be competitive at younger ages. They said at the rate of difficulty with the amount of impact from tumbling, force from baskets and weight being lifted their (the dr's.) ideal age would be over the age of 12, or a much slower progression rate at lower levels. My first thought when I saw the grid was, by putting in a bottom age in each age group, it would prevent coaches from putting kids in a higher age group to get around possible future safety rules. I do believe that as All Star and HS competitive cheer have become more popular there is more and more data that is being collected and shared.

Back