All-Star "proud To Be A Cheerlebrity Free Gym" <-- Really????

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I'm implying that a lot of Cheerleaders get so wrapped up in this sport that they sacrifice a lot of other things that are important. (i.e. their education). I'm not implying that any certain "cheerlebrity" is dumb. And also, I completely back my statement. I think a good coach doesn't only service these athletes in cheerleading, but also coaches them to be the best person they can be outside of the sport. I absolutely stress the drive for education in my athletes.

I'm implying that a lot of Cheerleaders get so wrapped up in this sport that they sacrifice a lot of other things that are important. (i.e. their education). I'm not implying that any certain "cheerlebrity" is dumb. And also, I completely back my statement. I think a good coach doesn't only service these athletes in cheerleading, but also coaches them to be the best person they can be outside of the sport. I absolutely stress the drive for education in my athletes.

I agree with you...I say this all the time. If the focus of your life is still being a cheerlebrity once you've reached your 20's, you may want to consider reevaluating your priorities. We want our sport to be a vehicle for success across our athletes' entire lives. I see it being a hindrance in some cases, simply because cheer is still the main focus too late in life. This doesn't apply to anyone who makes a career of coaching, choreography, or judging. I'm talking about the people who put off graduating college, going off to school, or getting a job, just to keep cheering.

WOW!!! So this is my first time logging on in………. I honestly can't remember but it's been a while.

So at first I was all like - woo hoo, I've been getting shimmies while I've been gone. Then I saw this thread had some recent activity and decided, because I felt like staying up late, to read the thread and catch up on what's been going on. Then I read the thread and from page 8 on….. well, other then the great SPaG advice, this has been time I will never get back. Sure there were some funny posts but over all I just feel bad for the kid. In part for their lack of professionalism and presentation but mainly because I think they're just trying to get attention.

Buege, buege, buege can't you see…..

and

I'm just a mom in this world

Ok - I'm done :cool:
Unsure if I was half mentioned for a good or bad reason. Lol

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

I agree with you...I say this all the time. If the focus of your life is still being a cheerlebrity once you've reached your 20's, you may want to consider reevaluating your priorities. We want our sport to be a vehicle for success across our athletes' entire lives. I see it being a hindrance in some cases, simply because cheer is still the main focus too late in life. This doesn't apply to anyone who makes a career of coaching, choreography, or judging. I'm talking about the people who put off graduating college, going off to school, or getting a job, just to keep cheering.
Yes, there are many "Peter pans" in the cheer world. I think it is fantastic to stay involved, but at some point it has to become a "hobby" versus the "only thing". (Again, this doesn't apply to those who make it a career - judging, choreo, coach etc.)

While I know a couple of people who have stayed in cheer beyond their "youth" those people have tended to be people who weren't going anywhere anyway. (Note: this is not intended to be an all inclusive statement)

The vast majority of kids I have watched grow up in the sport of cheer were driven, disciplined, successful people, I would characterize every cheerlebrity I know personally in this category.

If anything the cheerlebrity has opened up more opportunities for them.

The Shark version of the Fierce Board app

The vast majority of kids I have watched grow up in the sport of cheer were driven, disciplined, successful people, I would characterize every cheerlebrity I know personally in this category.

If anything the cheerlebrity has opened up more opportunities for them.

The Shark version of the Fierce Board app

About right. Hope to see you and our friends at NCA. Going with LaSarah, hopefully Cass and Madz, who will be doing some work for CC and others. We do miss cheer, but life goes on. It is a big world out there, for some cheer is a life, but for most it is a great springboard. No regrets for the experience. Cheers to all.

Unsure if I was half mentioned for a good or bad reason. Lol

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Always good :cool:

It was really in reference to the first time you told me how to pronounce your name and since then anytime I see you post "Buege Buege Buege can't you see" starts playing in my head - I know I've told you this before but since I'm not on here much anymore it's easy to forget

...That's kinda hard to police.

I mean, on one hand I think I can see where they were TRYING to go- yes, this is a team sport. Yes, each member is important and has a place- without a base, a flyer wouldn't be up in the air, but without a flyer a base would be just standing around. I get that they don't want to CREATE that environment. They don't want somebody to come around and decide 'I'm going to be a celebrity cheerleader that everybody knows.' Therefore putting them in the position of 'picking favorites' and dealing with 'Wannabe-Superstar-Suzy' and her Mom.

That being said, it completely misses the point of WHY those girls/guys got famous in the first place- their tumbling, their flying, their grace/skill/poise, and I also agree that looks/personality make up the 'package' as well. Your eyes are drawn to them..and WE choose them. They don't choose themselves. If they try, it's usually met with a lot of derision. We decided that a little blonde girl with a cute blonde bob and a teal headband was GORGEOUS in the air and horrendously charismatic. We noticed an amazing tumbling boy from Texas was awesome and we wanted to go to his Hill. We decided a kid with a shock of blonde hair was amazing in the dance section. We thought a sassy Redhead from Cali was worth watching. We discovered a terrific power girl from Georgia had flips for days and we loved watching her grow from a Tealy youth to an Orange baby to..wherever they've gone. That desperation for fame, however, that others are trying to cultivate. That's not the same thing..it comes from a terribly painful place of wanting attention and to be liked.
That was beautiful.

WTF? I got a "dislike" for replying to the following comment ...

cheer insider magazine said:
There were setbacks yes I cant reay list them all but ill leave it at
My parents were contiuosly fighting
My mother had a stroke
I was labelled a fag by my siblings for my sexuality
I was bullied at school ive said to much

with...

Were you posting here a few months ago under another name? I seem to remember a similar comment made a while back. Hopefully, this year will be better for you.

??????

My mother had a stroke

with...

??????
its a troll..

My mother had a stroke

with...

??????

I got one too. I also got dislikes to a bunch of other posts by the same person.

I could not agree more with this post! The term "cheerlebrity" is constantly portrayed negatively, often by the very people who whine that there is no recognition for our sport or the skill and athleticism that it requires. What is so wrong with the word cheerlebrity? The public has chosen these athletes based on their skill and a special something that makes them stand out among their peers. They bring our sport publicity, help recruit new youngsters across the country who hear about these athletes and look up to them, and put a spotlight on the incredible skill that cheerleaders have. Are there many kids who are just as talented but not as recognized? Sure. Are there many singers who sing just as well as the megastars we hear on the radio, yet remain completely unknown? Absolutely. This phenomenon is not exclusive to cheerleading. Some people have the "it" factor. Some people don't. Some have it and are still never widely recognized for it. That's life! The most known and respected "cheerlebrities" are the ones who never asked for it, but have been recognized without trying. For the most part they seem to be nice kids who represent the sport well.

Why is this a problem? The most repeated argument is that cheerleading is a team sport (absolutely true) and that "cheerlebrities" take away from that understanding. My personal opinion is that a particular athlete being recognized has nothing to do with cheerleading being understood as a team sport and anyone who has cheered, coaches a team, or has ever watched even one cheerleading routine can logically conclude that it is indeed a team effort and that even if some athletes are more well known than others, they could not do what they do without their teammates on the mat with them.

As far as what that gym was trying to get across, I can sympathize. As you stated above, there are sadly thousands of young cheerleaders inundating social media sites in an attempt to be the next big thing, and gyms don't want their athletes caring more about themselves than they do about their teams. This is understandable to me but it's the blanket "NO CHEERLEBRITY" sentiment that bugs me.

Rant over!
So true!! Football is also a team sport. Can you imagine a professional team not wanting to recruit the best Quarterback, because he's too famous??? The idea is ridiculous. So I won't throw a cow at you, but I will throw Bacon - cause everybody loves Bacon!!

Back