High School Proud To Be A Coach

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Nov 27, 2013
I know this isn't a post about a question or anything like that. But with the competitive season starting, I thought it would be nice for everyone to share feelings about their teams. I am sure I am not the only one that has had hard times on my team or rough patches with situations coming up. But no matter what with this season starting and no matter what the outcome, I am super proud of my team and proud to call myself their coach. I am so grateful to be in a position where I am able to work with high school students and be there for them. And the more I have read posts in here, it is beyond amazing to see how many coaches out there truly are looking to better the sport for these kids.

As a coach, there are some rough weeks, a lot of which end up in me not sleeping and them hating me, however, the work is worth it. AND it's so rewarding! I always remind them that I am being picky now, but that is so you perform well and do your best later and I am going to get mad if you forget the counts because that is your responsibility is to remember. And when they finally feel confident, ans seeing them perform, they forget about the bad and work super hard!

Ahhh. I sometimes wonder why I keep coaching. The amount of time away from my family, the money I spend, the stress, the kids who don't take it seriously when I'm trying to them competitive. I'm mean. They've cried. I push.
Then there's the kids who touch your life. The lives you change. The kids you see change from awkward, unsure, scared kids to brave, confident, fearless performers.
A plus: The brief note I got from a mom after fall season, whose daughter had been struggling with her parent's divorce. She thanked me for my time (standard), all the work I put into the kids (standard) and "for whatever I did to make her daughter smile and be happy again."
That's why I do it. I've done it for free and I've had paying positions. I've won and lost. But these kids become part of my life and I love them all.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

The look on a child's face when they finally get that skill they have been working and drilling for a long time is priceless, that's why I do what I do. Knowing your making a difference in that's little a girls life is why I love what I do. Having the kids you coached for years go off to college, come back on their break, stop by the gym & tell you how much they missed you & they couldn't wait to come back and tumble at the gym is the reason why I could never do anything else...

Back