High School Pyramid Difficulty

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Nov 14, 2010
This is mostly towards teams that attend UCA style events. But I'm open to hear other points of view on the subject.

What makes for a high scoring pyramid in difficulty? For UCA difficulty is only 5 pts. But what kind of pyramids get all 5? Is it twisting transitions? Release moves? Low to highs? Some creative transitions can he really hard, but if a judge has never seen it before, how would they know if it was hard or not? By competition day it should look easy.

If someone could give me an example of a high scoring pyramid that would be great. Example: North laurel because of all the full ups. New ro because of the release moves.

I would die to know how teams like this score in individual areas on the scoresheet instead of playing guessing games!

I don't really know specifically what kind of pyramids are high scoring but I do know that I've seen a squad that hit the last stunts in their pyramid, and then altogether they moved the pyramid to the front of the mat while still staying in the air and connected, it was very clean and the judges seemed to really like it because they ended up getting first!

All of the UCA Regional events I have been a part of have a separate judge for each area on the scoresheet. When the routine is over, the judges share scoresheets to copy down each other's numbers. Individual judges may change some of the scores on their own sheet if they have strong opinions over what they saw. I'm not sure if this is run the same way at UCA Nationals or not. Those 5 pts for pyramid difficulty are mainly decided by one individual judge at UCA events.

For Georgia high schools, you need a full up, release move, double down at the end, and some creative way into the stunt. I've seen leap frogs, tumbling into pyramids, tick tocks, full arounds, and ball ups. Pretty much, if you give them the skills they want then you get top score, unless it's poorly executed

Back